Anyone Else Watching The Mandalorian?

Still_Small_Voice

I have to say I hated the trilogy of new Star Wars movies with The Rise of Skywalker movie being one of the biggest disappointments I have ever watched.  But The Mandalorian has been surprising to me.  I like it a lot.  It is a much more simple story, the writing and plot line is very good in my opinion and they stay with the older Star Wars legacy.

I was beginning to wonder if the Star Wars billion dollar industry was flushed down the toilet with The Rise of Skywalker movie but I think The Mandalorian is breathing new life into Star Wars in my opinion.

1 hour ago, Still_Small_Voice said:

I have to say I hated the trilogy of new Star Wars movies with The Rise of Skywalker movie being one of the biggest disappointments I have ever watched.  But The Mandalorian has been surprising to me.  I like it a lot.  It is a much more simple story, the writing and plot line is very good in my opinion and they stay with the older Star Wars legacy.

I was beginning to wonder if the Star Wars billion dollar industry was flushed down the toilet with The Rise of Skywalker movie but I think The Mandalorian is breathing new life into Star Wars in my opinion.

(MINOR SPOILERS (but nothing you wouldn’t know if you follow media announcements surrounding the show)

Filoni and Favereau are definitely taking star wars in a great direction. They have changed up the formula, the feel and the writing. The Mandalorian is amazing, the star wars tv adaptations have always been the best. 

The Bo Catan and Ashoka’s cameos were a long coming  and very exciting to see for any modern star wars fan. Then the appearance of the long thought dead #%$@& (blocked due to spoiler) was very exciting to say the least. Hearing his voice again gave me nostalgia attacks.

The best thing the Mandalorian does is that it is patient. Though some episodes are slow and just seem like fillers, the dialogue and lack of cinematic explosions are a breath of fresh air when compared to the sequel trilogy which seemed to just throw every explosion and cinema trope at us hoping something stuck. 

I am curious to see how far they will expand the references and cameos. The star wars video games that have come out since EA bought the rights are all canon. There is a popular Jedi, Cal Kestis, from a recent game that is still alive. No mention of him or Ashoka in the sequel trilogy. Perhaps he will appear in the Mandalorian or what appeared to be an Ashoka v Thrawn Starwars series that was teased. I personally hope he is the one to train Grogu.

Anyway... I’m pretty pumped for the future of star wars. I hope Filoni stays with it and directs all future star wars adaptations, he did AMAZING with the clone wars series and he is doing amazing with this.

Edited by Fether

Guest Godless

I love the Mandalorian! After the Ahsoka episode I started binging Clone Wars and plan on watching Rebels as well. I've been meaning to watch those series for a long time, and the appearance of characters from that part of the canon finally motivated me to catch up.

Overall, I've liked just about everything from Star Wars except the new trilogies. Solo was very good and Rogue One is my all-time favorite Star Wars movie. It's disappointing that the Skywalker saga went the way that it did, but I'm confident that there's plenty more good SW content coming.

39 minutes ago, Godless said:

I started binging Clone Wars

You will not be disappointed. The series is a thrill all the way up to the very end. And the ending is absolutely spectacular. Greatest adaptation of star wars IMO.

The Mandalorian theme music is also masterful and a delight for me to listen to.  The composer Ludwig Göransson wrote it.  The music is different from John William's superb music he wrote for Star Wars but on the same level of excellence in my opinion.

The Mandalorian is excellent.  My wife and I look forward to watching it together every week after we put the kids to bed; it has that classic trilogy flavor.  I keep referring to the little Yoda character as “Grogurt” and it drives my wife crazy.

Over Thanksgiving weekend, I introduced my oldest brother to The Mandalorian, and now he’s hooked.

To me the Mandalorian shows that there are plenty of good stories to tell in the Star Wars setting.  The stand alone moves show that they do not even have to be about Jedi.

The Force Awakens, The Last Jedi, and the Rise of Skywalker, fail because they fail to have a coherent story. (Story is more then just plot)  That failure goes to the very top.

JJ Abrams is a brilliant imitator.  If you want someone that can do a remake he is the man for the job.  We see this in The Force Awaken, it is basically a New Hope all over again.  There is nothing wrong with that, if it is what you want.  But it is not really additive to the setting which many of the Audience hoped to see.

Rian Johnson is a brilliant deconstructionist, he understands the expectations, the tropes and the subverts them.  He understood the tropes and expectations of Star Wars and brilliantly deconstructed them in The Last Jedi.  But most of the audience do not want Star Wars to be deconstructed... They want the Star Wars they know and love.

The JJ Abram is put back in the Directors Seat he has to pull it all together which require more creativity then he is capable of.  This is clearly shown in the Last Jedi where it brings back the Emperor and tries to tie it all back to him like the originals did.

This made the new Set of movies a incoherent hot mess.  If you want imitation then let JJ Abrams run, if you want deconstruction the let Rian Johnson run, but don't change tone and direction in the middle of a story.

However if you want something that respects what comes before and plays the expectations and tropes straight, while adding and expanding on it...  Well the Mandalorian is showing that  Filoni and Favereau are the ones for that job.

I am a little shy from posting on this thread.  Mostly I like SiFi but have to swallow the reality that today's SiFi is like 99% fiction .9% fantasy and less than .1% science or any resemblance of reality.  For me the Mandalorian is basically a old western with magic and stuff that does not relate to anything.  I find the episodes similar to Hallmark movies in that you pretty much know the entire plot before the opening seen is half over.   To be honest I am a little tired of the difference between the good guys and the bad guys is that the bad guys are violent and treat everybody with contempt and the good guys only treat the bad guys with violence and contempt.  

However, I would rate the Mandalorian above the local and national news as an accurate depiction of reality - especially CNN.   I do not rate the Mandalorian as quite the level as Star Trek Discovery.  I am of the mind that you can tell a great deal about a person and society by what they find entertaining and what they pursue when what they are pursuing does not matter.

The Traveler

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Still_Small_Voice said:

I just finished watching The Mandalorian 16th episode.  It looks like the series is over.  I hope it is.  It would be a good place to end it in my opinion.  Any comments on the 16th episode?

I just finished it.  I feel that is a good wrap up of the series.  Looks like they're on to Boba Fett.

4 hours ago, Grunt said:

I just finished it.  I feel that is a good wrap up of the series.  Looks like they're on to Boba Fett.

The Boba Fett series looks interesting to me.  It's not a prequel thank goodness.  I am so tired of knowing the end before the beginning of the story in Star Wars.

15 hours ago, Still_Small_Voice said:

I just finished watching The Mandalorian 16th episode.  It looks like the series is over.  I hope it is.  It would be a good place to end it in my opinion.  Any comments on the 16th episode?

I’m pretty sure there is more Mandalorian coming. The whole side story of reclaiming Mandalore is actually a huge plot that spans back to before starwars episode 3. The dark saber and the whole thing with “who does it belong to” is a pretty big deal too. I think the next time we see the Din, it will be with Bo-Katan and other Mandalorians gathering together under the symbol of the dark saber and reclaiming their home. 

Perhaps once the Ahsoka series, Bobs Fett Story and the Republic Ranger series play out, everyone will come together again to reclaim Mandalore. Din, Bo-Katan, Ahsoka, and Boba all have connection to Mandalore so it really all makes sense.

My guess... we go 1-3 years without any more Mandalorian (though Din will show up in the other tv series) so we can develop the other characters in their live action stories. Once we fall in love with them all and their main goals are accomplished, we will see a team up in Mandalorian seasons 3-4 where they take back Mandalore. That will finish off the Mandalorian series.

Edited by Fether

14 hours ago, Grunt said:

Close to a good ending... 

Spoiler ahead:

The fact that the little metal knob wasn’t given to Grogu was a major bummer. 

Edited by Colirio

22 minutes ago, Colirio said:

Close to a good ending... 

Spoiler ahead:

The fact that the little metal knob wasn’t given to Grogu was a major bummer. 

Ooooo... good point...

They will probably give it to him later or retcon it

13 hours ago, Fether said:

I’m pretty sure there is more Mandalorian coming. The whole side story of reclaiming Mandalore is actually a huge plot that spans back to before starwars episode 3. The dark saber and the whole thing with “who does it belong to” is a pretty big deal too. I think the next time we see the Din, it will be with Bo-Katan and other Mandalorians gathering together under the symbol of the dark saber and reclaiming their home. 

Perhaps once the Ahsoka series, Bobs Fett Story and the Republic Ranger series play out, everyone will come together again to reclaim Mandalore. Din, Bo-Katan, Ahsoka, and Boba all have connection to Mandalore so it really all makes sense.

My guess... we go 1-3 years without any more Mandalorian (though Din will show up in the other tv series) so we can develop the other characters in their live action stories. Once we fall in love with them all and their main goals are accomplished, we will see a team up in Mandalorian seasons 3-4 where they take back Mandalore. That will finish off the Mandalorian series.

My understanding is that season 3 of The Mandalorian will most likely continue around Christmas 2021. However, you are right that it will most likely focus on retaking Mandalore, and that, at least for now, Grogu’s story is complete.

25 minutes ago, Jedi_Nephite said:

My understanding is that season 3 of The Mandalorian will most likely continue around Christmas 2021. However, you are right that it will most likely focus on retaking Mandalore, and that, at least for now, Grogu’s story is complete.

It is possible that The Book of Boba Fett will actually be the third season of Mandalorian.

2 hours ago, Grunt said:

It is possible that The Book of Boba Fett will actually be the third season of Mandalorian.

This actually was my original understanding, but a lot of people seem to be saying it is a differently titled show. But a Mandalorian season following Boba Fett is not too far fetched. He isn’t really a Mandalorian, but he carried the image 

I've been trying to be on the treadmill long enough to watch 3 episodes of Clone Wars.  I'm almost done with season 8 - hoping to hear more about Akhosha's fate!

We're 4 episodes into S2 of Mandalorian - the family is enjoying it.  I'm appreciating how it is keeping with and building the lore laid down in Clone Wars (and Knights of the Old Republic, if anyone remembers that game.)

1 hour ago, Fether said:

This actually was my original understanding, but a lot of people seem to be saying it is a differently titled show. But a Mandalorian season following Boba Fett is not too far fetched. He isn’t really a Mandalorian, but he carried the image 

I've since seen a supposed tweet by a show producer that states they are two separate projects and there will be a Mando season 3 and the Boba Zett spin off.

Okay - I finely watched the episode in question.  I do find it odd that nerds (like myself) and especially those in the agnostic and atheistic sectors of our society - that scoff at much in religion for being unrealistic and unrelated to reality are so attracted to modern sci-fi.  It is amazing what lengths and stresses of logic Hollywood will go through for a surprise.

The Traveler

58 minutes ago, Traveler said:

do find it odd that nerds (like myself) and especially those in the agnostic and atheistic sectors of our society - that scoff at much in religion for being unrealistic and unrelated to reality are so attracted to modern sci-fi.

Sci-fi is rarely making an argument for being reality. And when it does it is in the realm of current scientific principles. That is why they are ok with it

34 minutes ago, Fether said:

Sci-fi is rarely making an argument for being reality. And when it does it is in the realm of current scientific principles. That is why they are ok with it

You really do not see the logical failure in what you just said?

The Traveler