New nana

dahlia

Guess who had her first grand baby 3 weeks ago? Welcome Alexander!

It's been rough. Mom need a C-section for that 9lb 14oz boy, and had problems. Then she tested positive for COVID in the hospital. They made my son take the baby home because he couldn't go back to the nursery and couldn't stay with mom, who had an infection and was still in the hospital for a few more days. It's been real, folks. But, mom is slowly getting better. Thankfully, she was asymptomatic and the rest of us didn't need to get tested, which was a medical concern. 

Nana introduced him to Blondie's 'The Tide is High' and is writing a list of future lessons in rock and roll. She also informed him that her name is 'Nana' and not 'grandma.' Shallow, I know, but there it is.

11 30 20 baby.jpg

3 minutes ago, JohnsonJones said:

Babies are wonderful.  Congratulations.

Amended statement:

Babies are wonderful when they are asleep.   But the more they are aware and respond in innocence to their environment the more joy it is to be a mentor.  I do hope the nana will mentor more than rock & role and Blondie.

The Traveler

On 12/7/2020 at 3:44 PM, Traveler said:

Amended statement:

Babies are wonderful when they are asleep.   But the more they are aware and respond in innocence to their environment the more joy it is to be a mentor.  I do hope the nana will mentor more than rock & role and Blondie.

The Traveler

Sometimes I wonder why I post. I have a sense of humor. Apparently some here do not.  Actually, since relatives can homeschool in my state, assuming my health keeps up, we plan for me to be his teacher. Keep him away from godless leftie Commies in the schools. You can't even send them to Catholic school anymore (which was common among non-Catholics where I grew up because the public schools were so bad) because there's all that social justice warrior garbage.

5 hours ago, dahlia said:

Sometimes I wonder why I post. I have a sense of humor. Apparently some here do not.  Actually, since relatives can homeschool in my state, assuming my health keeps up, we plan for me to be his teacher. Keep him away from godless leftie Commies in the schools. You can't even send them to Catholic school anymore (which was common among non-Catholics where I grew up because the public schools were so bad) because there's all that social justice warrior garbage.

That sounds like it could be a wonderful experience and can give a lot of bonding between you and your grandchild.

If you start them young with learning letters and numbers, sometimes it can also help them do better and get ahead of their peers later on.  We have had some of our grandkids doing homeschooling during this pandemic and from the questions they ask about topics they are learning it seems FAR MORE rigorous than what they had  previously gotten in public schools. 

I sent our kids to public schools but things have changed since then for many.  I can understand why some may choose to educate their children from home these days instead.

11 hours ago, dahlia said:

Since you have a sense of humor - May I share a short little story?  I have some difficulty with small children.   My wife and children love handing me a new born to hold and it is very awkward for me.  I do not like talking in a higher voice or making nonsense sounds and holding them tight is not my thing.  For some reason that I do not understand - little ones do not seem to mind and will become less fussy with me?????

When I was called as the nursery leader - my wife thought it was poetic justice.  The previous nursery leader stayed around a couple of weeks to help orientate  to the calling.  She would greet each child with a hug and a kiss on the cheek.  There was no way on the planet I was going to do that.  So I would take their tiny right hand with a firm grip and give them a good manly shakes while saying very distinctly and manly, "How Do You Do!"  The most common response from the children was, "Again".

Two thing have come from this experience.  First, even though this calling was over 4 years ago these kids still greet me at church or anytime we meet by grabbing my hand as hard as they can - shaking it as hard as they can and saying, "How Do You Do!"  The second thing came to me once while pondering the calling and how I could be better at it.  The scripture came to me of Jesus saying to suffer the little children to come unto him, "for such is of the kingdom of heaven" - and the spirit spoke to me and said that the kingdom of heaven is not so much of little children as it is those (Jesus and those that would follow him) that are willing to have little children come unto them - just as Christ did.

Little children are so influenced by adults that will teach them - I am not sure there is a greater or more sacred trust than teaching impressionable little children.  I will admit that my suggestion about Blondie and Rock & Roll was intended with a little humor but under it all - my wish is what is already in your heart.  To teach them the best things life has to offer.

The Traveler

On 12/7/2020 at 3:44 PM, Traveler said:

Amended statement:

The Traveler

Babies are wonderful awake or asleep.  There is just something magical about them.