Christmas and gifting

Traveler

Most likely the greatest tradition of Christmas is the tradition of gifting.  Often gifting is related to the gifts of the "kings".   I find it very interesting that we consider "Things" as the greatest gifts.  That such things as home made or gifts of service are generally seen as lessor or cheep gifts.   Gifting is a big thing in our neighborhood and I find it interesting that the most common gifts to our home by neighbors are heavy in sugar despite that my wife is type 1 diabetic and should not eat them.  But then it is the spirit of giving.        Is regifting really giving?

What are the greatest gifts for extended family and neighbors?

The Traveler

7 hours ago, Traveler said:

What are the greatest gifts for extended family and neighbors?

This is one of the most anxiety-provoking questions for me.  I have a multidecadelong track record of either overgifting, or undergifting.  Everyone else seems to get it but me.

My answer: "The greatest gift for extended family and neighbors, is a gift that is expected, and roughly reciprocated on the same level of emotional connection as yours, without generating any awkward pauses or askance glances."

[Now if you'll forgive me, it's time to go lock myself in my closet and rock back and forth, stressing over my choices for this year.]

What about gift wrapping? You see those perfectly wrapped presents during a Christmas commercial or a YouTube video? You know, "45 EASY ways to wrap presents". Well, I'm not one of them. I hate wrapping presents because I'm not good at it but also because my logical self says it isn't that important or because from experience, I know my kiddos will destroy the paper in seconds... unless of course, I'm LUCKY enough to gift someone who takes HOURS and HOURS unwrapping presents by carefully removing the little pieces of tape so they can save the paper. Just thinking about it makes me sweat.

Edited by Suzie

2 hours ago, Suzie said:

You see those perfectly wrapped presents during a Christmas commercial or a YouTube video? You know, "45 EASY ways to wrap presents". Well, I'm not one of them. I hate wrapping presents because I'm not good at it but also because my logical self says it isn't that important or because from experience, I know my kiddos will destroy the paper in seconds.

My wife and I refused to wrap the Christmas gifts this year so my sixteen year old daughter decided to do it.  I think it took her over two hours.  They look nice.  But it is a lot of work and not worth it in my opinion.  I am just glad someone else decided to do it.