Christmas Star

Carborendum

For those of you keeping up on the "Christmas Star" news...I took some pictures.

First, a "big picture" view.  The lone shining object in the sky is the conjunction.

IMG_20201221_181857804.thumb.jpg.32aaa41613f0161fee4b6e8a13a998a1.jpg

Then a zoom in:  The brighter light to the left is Jupiter.  You can kind of make out the half shadow because the sun is to the right in this photo.  Then the "blur" to the right of Jupiter is actually Saturn.  It was much more clear to the naked eye than my puny camera.  But that is what it looked like.

IMG_20201221_182255535.thumb.jpg.0654759fc7dc983cc14b11bec4de6976.jpg

And for comparison:  The moon.  In reality the moon is pretty much at first quarter.  But the corona was so bright, it looks like a waxing gibbous or maybe even a full moon.  But to the naked eye it was pretty clear it was a quarter.

IMG_20201221_182227530.thumb.jpg.3360f8d8359956eb67ded06ef3d0955c.jpg

Edited by Carborendum

My wife took the following photo and made an interesting observation.

001.thumb.jpg.02c63db0c84528e68b6938f69257a960.jpg

It took a while for us to find a suitable spot to get out and take pictures.  So, I told the family we were like the wise men seeking the Christ Child.  We found the spot.  Our shadows made an interesting nativity scene.

Edited by Carborendum

Not as good as @NeuroTypical got, but here's one I got through my telescope. Difficult to get a good, single frame shot. Either overexpose Jupiter or underexpose Saturn. Atmosphere was all wobbly and noisy, too. But, still, you don't get to see two gas giants in the same telescopic field of view very often.

IMG_20201221_174057_1.jpg

You guys are amazing with your pictures.  I went out with the few family that has been staying with us over the past few months and we saw the star (Jupiter and Saturn...after we were able to figure out where it was, it was the brightest thing in the sky just about if you don't include the moon).  I talked it over with my grandson and said that the last time it looked anywhere close to that was 800 years ago (I think that is right).

It just looked like a really bright object in the sky last night, but I think it will look more separated tonight (we plan on going out again to look at it).

Oh jeez - it looks like my "I'm lying of course, I didn't take this picture with an old iPhone" message never got posted!

Sorry all.  I was lying of course.  I really didn't take that picture with an old iPhone.  I just thought the fish story would migrate well into a cool-astronomy-pic story. 

I took a picture of them yesterday evening with one of my grandkids.  Saturn seemed to turn up very dim in my picture, not sure how to increase the exposure on my phone without ending up with a lot of shaky pictures.  My hands are not so steady, so if I increase the time it takes for the picture for better exposure, it ends up streaky.  With a good timing though, where we see the planets, it ends up with Jupiter bright, but Saturn very dim (but seeable).