I have been deceived

pam

Well, we're used to taking insults people hurl at us, and gleefully accepting the title as a badge of honor.  And using it so frequently, it becomes so enshrined in our culture, our prophet has to spend years reminding us that the LORD is pretty crystal clear about what we should call ourselves and our church, and we need to knock it off.

Then we run into the rest of the world, which is so fearful of the potential of offending a minority with a nickname, they're willing to cancel one another over the issue.  Conflict ensues.  (At least until one of the easily offended brigade deletes their facebook thread, apparently.)

We had one family (white) create an uproar in our small town about our high school mascot.  The school board meeting was pretty disgusting, with a bunch of people yapping at each other about what's offensive and what isn't.  One guy stood up and announced that he thinks he's the only Indian in the room and he likes it.   He was followed by a bunch of white SJW's telling the crowd what the Indians "they know" say.

It was pretty odd, over all.  The mascot stayed.

9 hours ago, Just_A_Guy said:

There are also a surprising number of Church members who seem to have some sort of vendetta against Utah.

I get that modern Utah life is not everyone’s cup of tea, and that’s fine.  But when you can’t abide the idea of the LDS hymn book containing *any* hymn celebrating/giving thanks for the safety and freedom and prosperity that the early Saints found in the mountains (which is ultimately what #37 builds up to) . . . that frankly baffles me.

And I don’t understand this rage to drop stuff from the hymnal.  If you don’t like a hymn, don’t sing it!  Don’t insist that the rest of the Church throw it down the memory hole.  Other churches have hymnals that are far thicker than our own . . .

Or every time there is some thing about the way something is done or some random "Mormon" thing that isn't understood it is automatically assumed that it's a Utah thing.

23 hours ago, pam said:

She doesn't think that song should be in the hymnbook because it's not about God and it has offensive wording such as bands of Indians.   

If she found out that the original words from Elder Whitney were not "fearless bands of indians" but "savage bands of indians". 😳 Yes, I welcome that change.

18 hours ago, Grunt said:

We had one family (white) create an uproar in our small town about our high school mascot.  The school board meeting was pretty disgusting, with a bunch of people yapping at each other about what's offensive and what isn't.  One guy stood up and announced that he thinks he's the only Indian in the room and he likes it.   He was followed by a bunch of white SJW's telling the crowd what the Indians "they know" say.

It was pretty odd, over all.  The mascot stayed.

Now you got me curious, what was the mascot?

On 12/27/2020 at 5:05 PM, pam said:

She doesn't think that song should be in the hymnbook because it's not about God and it has offensive wording such as bands of Indians. 

The Book of Esther does not mention God either, yet in the scriptures it remains. This reminds me of a current controversy over the song "The Reckless Love of God." God cannot be "reckless" so the song is said to be heresy. I'd argue that the vastness of God's love for us is indescribable--so we use feeble human words like "reckless." I guess that makes me a heretic. Hope I can keep my job here. 😮

55 minutes ago, prisonchaplain said:

The Book of Esther does not mention God either, yet in the scriptures it remains. This reminds me of a current controversy over the song "The Reckless Love of God." God cannot be "reckless" so the song is said to be heresy. I'd argue that the vastness of God's love for us is indescribable--so we use feeble human words like "reckless." I guess that makes me a heretic. Hope I can keep my job here. 😮

I have a friend that calls me a heathen all of the time.

23 hours ago, pam said:

Or every time there is some thing about the way something is done or some random "Mormon" thing that isn't understood it is automatically assumed that it's a Utah thing.

Pam's just mad that now she lives in another state, she finally heard the word "both" pronounced without an "L" for the first time in her life.

14 hours ago, NeuroTypical said:

Snark from the interwebs: Anyone else notice the Land-O-Lakes logo got rid of the Indian but kept the land?

image.thumb.png.618b3aef17c1c8a26d0c77bc13677ef7.png

Oh, wow! Now if that isn't the most (colonial) American thing I've ever seen :D 

Edited by dprh

On 12/28/2020 at 4:00 PM, Vort said:

The so-called Native Americans I've had conversations with seem to prefer to be specified by tribal affiliation, and call themselves "Indians" in aggregate. But I haven't had much conversation with college-age SJW Native American Indians, so I concede that there might be a sizeable population among that demographic that abhors the term. Still, my guess is that the uproar over the term "Indian" as applied to the descendants of the American aborigines is yet another conflict cooked up by the mostly white, fully lunatic SJW fringe, and accepted as always by the larger political left.

I live in an area with a fairly high number of those with Hispanic/South American heritage. Another popular SJW term is "Latinx".

My friends and neighbors who would be called "Latinx" despise despise the term. My sweet little old widow neighbor feels it is mocking her native language. She totally went off on one her granddaughters (who is half white) for using it.