Already

Traveler

2 hours ago, Suzie said:

It is sad to see that a few people in power are now saying "enough" after 5 people died, seriously? People had to die to say enough is enough? It makes me even more sad to see many people supporting and justifying what happened in the Capitol, I've said it before and I'll say it again: Some of these people act like they are part of a cult, a  dangerous cult saying the President is the Chosen One, the Messiah.He has become their religion.

Having said that, I always try to be fair, I don't think for a minute that MOST of his supporters are like the ones we saw Wednesday.

Enough of what? Why didn't those who were aspiring to power on the left say ENOUGH last summer during the riots? And I would bet more than 5 died during all that. Much more was lost!

"Some of these people act like they are part of a cult, a  dangerous cult saying the President is the Chosen One, the Messiah. He has become their religion."

And lest we forget the videos that came out after Mr Obama took office of groups of children dancing and chanting his name. It happens. 💁‍♀️

Edited by carlimac

23 hours ago, Godless said:

Some of us spent 4 years warning against exactly this. I am outraged and horrified, but not the least bit surprised by what happened yesterday. 

Also, here's the full picture of Jake Angeli from the AZ BLM rally. He was there as a counter-protestor.

20210107_144638.jpg

Exactly what? That there would be a huge rally in support of Trump after a very shady election and about .05% of the ralliers would cause a ruckus in the Capitol?  Of course it's outrageous but why are you not spreading your outrage more evenly? Lots of outrageous things have happened in the last year including MUCH more destrucion and lives and property lost- all encouraged by the "other side." Shamelessly encouraging it. And videos not even banned from social media platforms. I'm curious why you're not outraged and horrified by all that? Or did I just miss that day when you expressed outrage. If you did, my apologies.  

7 hours ago, Jamie123 said:

There's been a lot of talk about "what would have happened" if the protestors had been liberals, not conservatives. The supposition is that it would have been a bloodbath.

I've never been very impressed by people who argue on the basis of what they say "would have happened" in some totally hypothetical scenario. As a kid, I was always having my nose rubbed in what I supposedly "would have done" if <blah blah blah> had happened. It's a lazy way to argue: since <blah blah blah> didn't happen, there's no way to test the assertion, and no way to refute it.

It would make some sense if they had cited what I did do in some analogous situation which really did happen - but why not just have a go at me for that, instead of building a hypothetical case based on something that didn't happen? But the argument was always carried by the strength of the dirty looks the accuser could give, and how anxious the listeners were to enjoy a feeling of righteous disgust (against me).

If Trump had won the election and Biden supporters had stormed the capitol, we really don't know what what would have happened. Bearing in mind how anxious everyone is to "appear woke", I wouldn't be surprised if they'd get a free pass. But that's speculation. To find out, we would need to visit a parallel universe.

Yup, those exact words just in the last day or so by our new "Uniter in Chief". Suddenly and for no apparent logical reason this rally and subsequent assault on the Capitol (which I am not condoning in any way. that was wrong wrong wrong!!) became about race. :estaloco:

Guest Godless
2 hours ago, Just_A_Guy said:

Godless, do you have video of this?  I’ve seen a photo (from you, I think) and similar video of some guys hanging off a window-washing platform carrying a Trump flag and two American flags, that is represented as you state above; but I can’t ascertain where on the Capitol the flagpole in question actually was.

This is the best shot I could find, and it may be the one you already saw. I'm not exactly sure what part of the building this is either. 

[Mod hat on for a sec]

Folks, I’ve been guilty of this myself and am trying to repent . . . There is now a no-political discussion rule here at 3H.  I can see the argument for a distinction between outright political debate, versus simply discussing a current event like what happened this week in a relatively non-political way (time will tell if the mod staff, as a whole, takes this approach); but we (myself included) need to be really careful not to tie this back into advocacy or condemnation of any particular candidate or political party.

Edited by Just_A_Guy

2 minutes ago, Just_A_Guy said:

[Mod hat on for a sec]

Folks, I’ve been guilty of this myself and am trying to repent . . . There is now a no-political discussion rule here at 3H.  I can see the argument for a distinction between outright political debate, versus simply discussing a current event like what happened this week in a relatively non-political way (time will tell if the mod staff, as a whole, takes this approach); but we (myself included) need to be really careful not to tie this back into advocacy or condemnation of any particular candidate or political party.

I hope you can see I'm condemning violence and hypocrisy on any side. Also asking a question about personal  threshholds for "this is a bad thing that happened". And what makes one thing bad but not the other.  I'm genuinely confused.

• pam locked this topic