New Paf Program

Josie

Has anyone had the opportunity to try the new PAF program the Church is just introducing? I want to get my hands on it so badly and it is not in my area yet, as near as I can find out. If you have tried it, what do you think of it? Does it work well and do what it is suppose too. I know they have been testing it to get the bugs out for over a year now and are starting to introduce it to the general population, apparently in steps. (meaning: in a few areas at a time.)

Josie

• 2 weeks later...

They are introducing it in our Stake and the way I understand it, it is not going to be a program instead it will be a "live" website you can access using your Membership number and Confirmation date. You can directly access the Temple records to see if the work has been done by someone else. Also as you do work in the Temple it will be automatically be updated. It sounds very exciting we had a combined Priesthood/Relief Society a few weeks back where they introduced it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I think you may be referring to new Family Search which is up and running. Your Family History Consultants in your ward may have access to it to start learning about it to teach others when it comes online in your area.

It's main focus is to standardize FH throughout the church, make it easier to collaborate doing FH research with others, to minimize the duplication of temple work and to simplify the process of determining who needs temple work and clearing names to get it done.

It is fabulous. It was introduced in our Temple District last month and makes name submission so much easier. It does have some limitations however. It will not link to Living persons data except your own or wikk it link to anyone born within the last 110 years that does not have a death date in the data record of interest.

For this reason it is still useful to maintain your records with an offline Genealogy program. It accepts uploads of Gedcom files but after upload you must manually combine duplicates that are already in the data base. They reccomend that you limit the uploads to data that you are pretty sure does not already exist in the multiple data bases that it references.

It took me a while to find all the Temple work done on my wifes line because of the peacemeal way it had been done and the minimal data that had been submitted with each name submission request in the past. It will certainly eliminate this problem with future submissions because it automatically integrates all new submissions with your personal database and prevents anyone else submitting the same names again.

Larry P