D&C 2

laronius

46 minutes ago, laronius said:

"Behold, I will reveal unto you the Priesthood, by the hand of Elijah the prophet..."

I thought this wording was interesting. There were multiple prophets who "restored" keys but here the Lord says "reveal." Any thoughts on what about the Priesthood is being revealed?

At first glance, I would take "reveal" to mean "restore." Given that the sealing power is preeminent by rendering all other earthly acts performed under the various other priesthood keys binding, it can be considered to reveal the power of God in its fulness as well.

5 hours ago, laronius said:

"Behold, I will reveal unto you the Priesthood, by the hand of Elijah the prophet..."

I thought this wording was interesting. There were multiple prophets who "restored" keys but here the Lord says "reveal." Any thoughts on what about the Priesthood is being revealed?

I think it is simply means that the Lord through Elijah would reveal the binding powers of the priesthood to Joseph.

It could be similarly said, "Behold I will reveal unto you the Priesthood, by the hand of John the Baptist...." Simply meaning that through John the Aaronic Priesthood would be revealed and given upon this earth at that time.

I have always simply translated it as restored as well but as I have thought more closely on it I kind of came up with a thought that I think touches on both of your comments. To me reveal could also be interpreted as granting perspective. Elijah wasn't the only one to restore priesthood keys but what he restored really addresses the role of the priesthood from an eternal perspective. Family government is the real lasting form of government in the eternities and what is priesthood if not a governing power. So this sealing power Elijah restored and with it the knowledge of eternal families puts the role of the priesthood here on earth in it's proper perspective. Those keys go beyond simply the granting of authority to act but brings with it the motivating force to act by helping us see more clearly. This comes in the spiritual connection we receive to those who've come before which we call the Spirit of Elijah. It's also found in the thinning of the veil that enables us to work more closely with those in the Spirit world. And the work of forming and building families here on earth can be done with the knowledge of their eternal potential. I'm sure there are other ways it grants perspective as well. 

It is from Elijah that we get the Highest Order of the Priesthood, and also through which we can have revealed to us all things.  This may also be a helpful reference.

Doctrine and Covenants 128:17-18

17 And again, in connection with this quotation I will give you a quotation from one of the prophets, who had his eye fixed on the restoration of the priesthood, the glories to be revealed in the last days, and in an especial manner this most glorious of all subjects belonging to the everlasting gospel, namely, the baptism for the dead; for Malachi says, last chapter, verses 5th and 6th: Behold, I will send you Elijah the prophet before the coming of the great and dreadful day of the Lord: And he shall turn the heart of the fathers to the children, and the heart of the children to their fathers, lest I come and smite the earth with a curse.

18 I might have rendered a plainer translation to this, but it is sufficiently plain to suit my purpose as it stands. It is sufficient to know, in this case, that the earth will be smitten with a curse unless there is a welding link of some kind or other between the fathers and the children, upon some subject or other—and behold what is that subject? It is the baptism for the dead. For we without them cannot be made perfect; neither can they without us be made perfect. Neither can they nor we be made perfect without those who have died in the gospel also; for it is necessary in the ushering in of the dispensation of the fulness of times, which dispensation is now beginning to usher in, that a whole and complete and perfect union, and welding together of dispensations, and keys, and powers, and glories should take place, and be revealed from the days of Adam even to the present time. And not only this, but those things which never have been revealed from the foundation of the world, but have been kept hid from the wise and prudent, shall be revealed unto babes and sucklings in this, the dispensation of the fulness of times.

Edit:  As a Note, D&C 2 was given/written/recorded prior to the Priesthood being restored and more than a decade to the event referred to actually occurring and the ability and revelations pursuant to Elijah's revealing the Priesthood as it were beginning to be accomplished.  Something that should signify the importance of Elijah's coming. restorations and revelations on the matter.

Edited by JohnsonJones

On 1/14/2021 at 11:21 AM, Jonah said:

D&C 2 refers to Moroni as an angel and Elijah as a prophet. Is there a difference
between an angel and a prophet?

An "angel" is an "other worldly" being acting as a heavenly messenger.  When Moroni came to visit Joseph, he brought a message.  So, his role "at that time" was that of "angel."

A Prophet is one who represents the power of the Lord on Earth.  What Elijah was to do upon his return was to restore the "sealing power".  This may be meaningless to you.  But to us, it is quite important.  So important that without it, the Earth would be "utterly wasted" at His (the Savior's) coming.