President Nelson vaccinated

NeuroTypical

On 2/14/2021 at 8:27 PM, NeuroTypical said:

In other news, I got a shingles shot and flu shot last week.  That night, I got the chills.  And the next day, I had the sweats.   Normal mild reactions to a vaccine.

Since I'm part of a phase 3 research program, I have to report all changes in my health periodically.  I notified the app last week, and I'll notify the clinic gathering the research in the next week or two when they call me for the routine questions.   And since there are tens, maybe hundreds of thousands of us in various studies, reporting data across the country, I'm sure my story is hardly unique.  Our data will be entered in various databases, probably into the VAERS database too. 

Where people who lack some critical understandings of how things work, will be able to look through VAERS and claim "People who get the COVID vaccine, can get spontaneous chills and sweats 6 months after their injection!"  (See, I got the COVID shot in August, and now it's Feb, so that's around 6 months.)

Because they don't understand how things work.  That's why they'll be able to make a claim like that.  They will go to VAERS, filter on people who have been vaccinated for COVID, and note the symptoms and timeframe.  And because they're ignorant in some basic understanding on how the data works, they'll assume my chills and sweats from the shingles shot, actually came from my COVID shot.   They will be wrong, but there you go.

I die a little inside every time someone uses VAERS against vaccines.

Or tells me to watch Vaxxed.

Or a bunch of other nonsense.

I just looked at the document they sent with the email.  It included a quote from a letter from the First Presidency. 

COVID-19_Vaccinations_for_Missionaries[5].pdf

Opening lines:

The First Presidency recently stated: “As appropriate opportunities become available, 
the Church urges its members, employees, and missionaries to be good global citizens and 
help quell the [COVID-RS] pandemic by safeguarding themselves and others through 
immunization. Individuals are responsible to make their own decisions about vaccination” 
(First Presidency Statement, Jan. 19, 2021). 

I don't remember ever hearing that.  Anyone know where that came from?

First: "urge" its members... (to become immunized).

Second: "Individuals are responsible to make their own decisions."

Edited by Carborendum

58 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

Doesn't make sense. 

Edited by NeedleinA

3 hours ago, Carborendum said:

I don't remember ever hearing that.  Anyone know where that came from?

Right here: https://newsroom.churchofjesuschrist.org/article/church-leaders-covid-19-vaccine

2 hours ago, NeedleinA said:
3 hours ago, Carborendum said:

Doesn't make sense. 

How don't those two statements make sense?  The full quotes, in context:

As appropriate opportunities become available, the Church urges its members, employees and missionaries to be good global citizens and help quell the pandemic by safeguarding themselves and others through immunization. Individuals are responsible to make their own decisions about vaccination. In making that determination, we recommend that, where possible, they counsel with a competent medical professional about their personal circumstances and needs.

"We're urging you, not commanding you. Check with your doctor and make your decision."

Just about everyone should get the vaccination, but not everybody.  Some folks have medically diagnosed contraindications, for example.

Edited by NeuroTypical

I will not speak or fight against the Church or its ordained leaders, nor will I speak against their recommendations. But FWIW, I don't see getting a COVID vaccine as being "good global citizens". Seems a strange and almost trivial hill to raise one's banner on.

41 minutes ago, Vort said:

I will not speak or fight against the Church or its ordained leaders, nor will I speak against their recommendations. But FWIW, I don't see getting a COVID vaccine as being "good global citizens". Seems a strange and almost trivial hill to raise one's banner on.

Do you view it as a mandate to get vaccinated?

13 minutes ago, mirkwood said:

Your first sentence. 

I can see that. The answer is, no. I don't see it as any sort of mandate. I see it as advice, and probably very good advice. I will consider it when I fall into a vaccination-allowed category. I am not fond of the "good global citizen" part, as I wrote, but I grant that maybe it's true.

Fundamentally, I do not see COVID as a "desolating scourge". I see it as, in effect, a bad flu that presents a real, if relatively small, risk of mortality to adults, particularly to those at or past middle age. The global overreaction to COVID strikes me as absurd and a cynically open ploy to further political agendas, including or especially here in the US. So talk that seems to play into those nefarious hands, such as getting vaccinated to be a "good global citizen", rubs me wrong.

Edited by Vort

In addition, I'm 99.8% sure I had COVID in late 2019, maybe October or November. I didn't realize it until a few months ago in retrospect, but at the time, I had what seemed like a not-too-awful flu. The really bad part was that my sense of taste changed and even went away. I attributed it to being 56, and expressed my irritation that I couldn't even taste the wonderful things my wife had made and felt sorry for myself that everything tasted like dust. In a few weeks, the symptoms vanished, without me really noticing until I remembered, "Hey, I used to not be able to taste things. Now I can. Huh. Good news." I never connected up my achiness and flu-like symptoms with the loss of taste thing.

19 hours ago, NeedleinA said:

Am I a bad citizen when I don't get a flu shot?

Well, a bad flu season kills maybe 40-60,000 of our old people per year.   COVID killed what, four times that many?  Since you ask random folks the question, I'll point out that random folks (i.e., the culture in which we live) figures they have the say in the matter. 

It's hard to find people that will tell you you're a bad citizen for not being part of a plan that needs everyone to get a flu shot, in order to keep our frail elderly population from dying of flu.   This is because our culture has largely accepted the flu as a thing that's going to do what the flu will do.

It's really, really, really dang easy to find people that will tell you you're a bad citizen for not being part of a plan that needs everyone to get a COVID shot, in order to keep our frail elderly population from dying of COVID.  This is because many in our culture believe COVID is a thing that will win more if we do less, and win less if we do more. 

Looking at the Spanish Flu, it remained a worrisome deadly pandemic on everyone's minds, until people basically decided to stop thinking about it.   The it was a largely ignored and accepted deadly pandemic on hardly nobody's mind.   COVID will progress similarly.

(For what it's worth, I'm not calling anyone a bad citizen.)

Edited by NeuroTypical

To date, Google reports 51+ million people have been fully vaccinated in the USA.
What percentage of those do you think still wear a mask in situations where it is not mandatory?

If the vaccine works, then no mask right?
Why are people who have been vaccinated, still told to wear doubled up masks?
Does the vaccine work or not?

If it works, why the mask still?

Oh my bad, there are 3 other variants of Covid now that aren't covered by the current vaccine.
Unless people...

assemble themselves together to cast in their avoices concerning the matter;

...we all will be mask wearing sheeple for the rest of our lives, vaccinated or not.

Edited by NeedleinA

1 hour ago, NeedleinA said:

Unless people...

assemble themselves together to cast in their avoices concerning the matter;

...we all will be mask wearing sheeple for the rest of our lives, vaccinated or not.

Nah.  Folks were saying that back during the Spanish Flu too.  Our governors will stop issuing public health mask orders, the exact nanosecond that it ceases to become politically advantageous to do so.  I see it happening right now, I figure it'll all be over and done by the end of Summer.  J

Edited by NeuroTypical

I saw it starting when reading local news about how Colorado was re-vamping it's COVID lockdown dial, and the whole state turned from reds and oranges, to oranges and yellows overnight.  That was January, I think.

I predict the whole thing will be in our rear-view mirror by end of Summer.

Colorado just announced phase 2, where everyone who wants can get vaccinated.  Starts Friday.

Edited by NeuroTypical

1 hour ago, NeuroTypical said:

I predict the whole thing will be in our rear-view mirror by end of Summer.

Maybe.  Our governor is lifting the mask mandate April 10.  Our Democrat county mayor almost immediately said she was considering imposing a mask mandate on us til we get closer to "herd immunity."  The Democrat SLC mayor said the same thing.  The leftists will hang on mask on as long as they can.

34 minutes ago, mirkwood said:

Maybe.  Our governor is lifting the mask mandate April 10.  Our Democrat county mayor almost immediately said she was considering imposing a mask mandate on us til we get closer to "herd immunity."  .....

We are closer to herd immunity!!!  ☹️ 

The Traveler

On 1/19/2021 at 4:24 PM, NeuroTypical said:

Although I do comprehend President  Nelson's reasoning......

(I am aware that LDS volunteers with a background in medicine have vaccinated huge numbers of people who are too poor to afford that type of medical care themselves but).......

I personally want to delay my own decision to be vaccinated or not......

for as long as I possibly can........  because I have the impression that the vaccines were rushed.  

My wife is a deeply religious Pentecostal and her opinion is that if we decided to be vaccinated.....

and choose a particular vaccine for our own reasons...... God will protect us if the vaccine is less than up to the best of standards.  I am pretty sure that President Nelson had that in his mind as one part of his reasoning as well.  

I should add that the fact that you have a BYU campus in Israel...  you LDS are set up to

use the LDS approach to putting love for one another..... above divisions such as vaccinated vs non-vaccinated.....

which puts you in a special position to assist eight million Israelis with this potentially rather divisive situation??????  The Jewish people may become very divided over vaccinated vs non-vaccinated........... and the fact that you LDS do not have a big fight over this issue...... gives you an especially powerful "open door" to the nation of Israel!

The very fact that these past two elections in the USA have not caused a major split in the sixteen million Latter day Saints is evidence that my theory has at least some validity........  

"They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover." (Mark 16:18)

Edited by DennisTate
add a comment.....

On 3/29/2021 at 1:37 PM, mirkwood said:

Maybe.  Our governor is lifting the mask mandate April 10.  Our Democrat county mayor almost immediately said she was considering imposing a mask mandate on us til we get closer to "herd immunity."  The Democrat SLC mayor said the same thing.  The leftists will hang on mask on as long as they can.

I am thinking that from now on we ought to celebrate independence day in Utah on April 10th!

The Traveler

• pam unfeatured this topic