President Nelson vaccinated

NeuroTypical

https://www.facebook.com/russell.m.nelson/posts/3650727088328034

May be an image of sitting and standing

With approval from our physician, my wife, Wendy, and I were vaccinated today against COVID-19. We are very grateful. This was the first week either of us was eligible to receive the vaccine. We are thankful for the countless doctors, scientists, researchers, manufacturers, government leaders, and others who have performed the grueling work required to make this vaccine available. We have prayed often for this literal godsend.

As a former surgeon and medical researcher, I know something of the effort needed to accomplish such a remarkable feat. Producing a safe, effective vaccine in less than a year is nothing short of miraculous. I was a young surgeon when, in 1953, Dr. Jonas Salk announced that he had developed a vaccine against the cruel and crippling disease of polio. I then watched the dramatic impact that vaccine had on eradicating polio as most people around the world were vaccinated.

For generations, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints has donated considerable resources to making vaccinations available for people in developing countries. Vaccinations have helped to eliminate diseases such as diphtheria and smallpox. My professional and ecclesiastical experiences convince me that vaccinations administered by competent medical professionals protect health and preserve life.

Receiving the vaccine today was part of our personal efforts to be good global citizens in helping to eliminate COVID-19 from the world.

Edited by NeuroTypical

8 minutes ago, mirkwood said:

I'm still not getting it.  As a side note, we are at day 7 of our family's exposure and nobody has symptoms.

My mother pretty much hid in her basement for the entire year... isolated, grumpy, depressed, scared. Missed b-day parties, holidays, etc. etc. She made fun of me for going to the Trump rally calling it a "super spreader", etc. etc. Well... she managed to get in her basement - hah!

Same type of story for my father almost (separated from my mother), well... he got it too. 

My brother, sister and their whole families all got. 

Long story short... most didn't even know they had it except a super minor item that made them curious, so they got tested. 
They all lived in FEAR all year, MISSED life AND still all got it. 

I personally know 2 people who got it and died. They both were older (70s) and had other health issues, one was oxygen before getting it.
So yah... there is danger factor for a specific demographic, yet everyone else is made to shake in their boots over a landslide of EXTREME media hype.

Elder Bednar dropping bombs:

While believers and their religious organizations must be good citizens in a time of crisis, never again can we allow government officials to treat the exercise of religion as simply nonessential. Never again must the fundamental right to worship God be trivialized below the ability to buy gasoline…  The COVID-19 crisis demonstrates the fragility of religious freedom and the need to shore it up.  “In our understandable desire to combat COVID-19, we, too, as a society may have forgotten something about who we are and what is most precious… Now is the time for us to heed the wake-up call, to remember and to act

• pam featured this topic

While I'm sure the vaccine is probably fine, we also should remember that President Nelson is in his late 90's, has lived a good, full life, and there is essentially no downside to him taking it.  If it kills him, members will know worldwide and reject it; if he appears completely unharmed, members will be less skeptical and will take it, likely to their advantage.  It is a win-win situation: either many members are guided away from an evil in the world (bad vaccine), or they are guided away from an evil within themselves (pride).  I wonder if he will take a photo op for the second dose?  🤔

7 hours ago, person0 said:

While I'm sure the vaccine is probably fine, we also should remember that President Nelson is in his late 90's, has lived a good, full life, and there is essentially no downside to him taking it.  If it kills him, members will know worldwide and reject it; 

What an odd thing to feel the urge to consider...

On 1/19/2021 at 9:48 PM, mirkwood said:

I'm still not getting it.  As a side note, we are at day 7 of our family's exposure and nobody has symptoms.

We spent Christmas break in quarantine while leaving food for my diseased husband on his side of the house. None of us got it but him.

I for one appreciate him getting it and making a to-do of it. I have heard so many awful and blatant lies and intentional misinformation about vaccines, even members of the church considering them so spiritually evolved they condemn those who do vaccinate. I think it's good for the Prophet to stand up for truth even in something probably so worldly as a vaccine.

On 1/20/2021 at 4:48 AM, mirkwood said:

My wife had the COVID quite bad, along with pneumonia, and we all had to self isolate. However my daughter and I had no symptoms at all, despite almost certainly having caught it too.

A buddy of mine just finished going through COVID.  Sort of a minor flu for him.  He's recovered except for a lingering cough.

2-3 of my ward families have had it, none elderly, all recovered.  Our 2nd counselor talks of weird changes to his taste/smell that continue to linger for months. 

My cousin's family caught it back in March, the wife ended up with permanent lung scarring.  She had pre-existing lung damage from a prior bout with pneumonia.  Mild-to-bad flu for the rest of them, except for one kid that never showed a single symptom.

Edited by NeuroTypical

It's a 20 minute video of someone talking.  Can I get a summary?

Judging from the comments here it looks like it may be similar in response to some of the other statements made by Apostles and the Prophet recently (members seem to not be complimenting the Prophet and Apostles to say the least). 

I'd say, he's in his 90s.  He should be one of the first ones to get the vaccine.  If he has used it as a PR photo op to encourage skeptical members to get the vaccine themselves, good for him.

I hope Biden has a better method of distributing the vaccine than Trump did.

I got two phonecalls from unknown numbers (unlisted) this past week.  I had friends that said they got calls to come in and get the vaccine this week.  Looking back, I probably should have answered those unlisted numbers, but my general habit of not answering was what I did instead.  It could have been they were calling to get me in to give me a shot of the vaccine, but instead I am still waiting with the rest of you.  My doctor has gotten both shots now though.

On 1/21/2021 at 2:03 AM, person0 said:

While I'm sure the vaccine is probably fine, we also should remember that President Nelson is in his late 90's, has lived a good, full life, and there is essentially no downside to him taking it.  If it kills him, members will know worldwide and reject it; if he appears completely unharmed, members will be less skeptical and will take it, likely to their advantage.  It is a win-win situation: either many members are guided away from an evil in the world (bad vaccine), or they are guided away from an evil within themselves (pride).  I wonder if he will take a photo op for the second dose?  🤔

So he is acting as guinea pig for the Church?? That's preposterous. He's a physician! And a prophet!

Edited by carlimac

9 minutes ago, carlimac said:

So he is acting as guinea pig for the Church?? That's preposterous. He's a physician! And a prophet!

Preposterous indeed.   The tens of thousands of people who signed up for phase I, II, and III trials in 2020 were the guinea pigs.  Actually, to be more accurate, the nonhuman animals it was initially tested on, before anything went to human trials, were the guinea pigs.  

Edited by NeuroTypical

40 minutes ago, NeuroTypical said:

Preposterous indeed.   The tens of thousands of people who signed up for phase I, II, and III trials in 2020 were the guinea pigs.  Actually, to be more accurate, the nonhuman animals it was initially tested on, before anything went to human trials, were the guinea pigs.  

So you prefer no vaccine at all? Let's just let this thing kill as many as possible. Sound good? 

On 1/21/2021 at 9:34 AM, NeuroTypical said:

What an odd thing to feel the urge to consider...

Not really.  There have been plenty of people who have had severe pains and symptoms after the shot so far.  If it is a pretty bad experience for some, as I have heard, I could certainly imagine it resulting in death among those who are older and more frail.  I'm sure President Nelson will be fine because, as far as I know, he doesn't have any underlying conditions, but he is very old.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-01-18/what-to-know-about-vaccine-related-deaths-allergies-quicktake

Edited by person0

On 1/21/2021 at 5:53 AM, Nordic saint said:

Yeah... if the vaccine was so dangerous, God would have stopped the prophet from doing it and even urge others to do so.... I'll get the shot

I understand where you are coming from, but that simply isn't true.  God may or may not prevent His prophet from death at any given moment; it all depends on His plan.

4 hours ago, person0 said:

Not really.  There have been plenty of people who have had severe pains and symptoms after the shot so far.  If it is a pretty bad experience for some, as I have heard, I could certainly imagine it resulting in death among those who are older and more frail.  I'm sure President Nelson will be fine because, as far as I know, he doesn't have any underlying conditions, but he is very old.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-01-18/what-to-know-about-vaccine-related-deaths-allergies-quicktake

It is resulting in death in some people of his age.  Odd that it isn't being reported.

10 hours ago, person0 said:

I could certainly imagine it resulting in death among those who are older and more frail.

That makes sense - you're using your imagination, instead of understanding how vaccines are developed and tested before being released into the general population.

FYI: The vaccine has already been tested on old people, both in good health and poor health.  Like, back in August.  They didn't die of being vaccinated.

Edited by NeuroTypical

10 hours ago, person0 said:

You all do know that the vaccine is only expected to provide protection for one year, right?

Yep.  The only things we're certain of right now, is the vaccines are 90+% effective for at least 6 months, with no indication of any horrible things happening.

Edited by NeuroTypical

6 hours ago, Grunt said:

It is resulting in death in some people of his age.  Odd that it isn't being reported.

It is being reported if it's the virus that actually killed the person. The FDA would shut it down in a nanosecond. My husband works in the industry. Also we have close friends who are researchers. They have a list of friends who won't take the vaccine till they do. They offered to put me on their list. I declined. ☺️

• pam unfeatured this topic