The Lord commands Lehi and Nephi

romans8

I do not understand this commandments part.

1 Nephi 3:16 says "Wherefore, let us be faithful in keeping the commandments of the Lord; therefore 
let us go down to the land of our father's inheritance, for behold he left gold and silver, and all 
manner of riches. And all this he hath done because of the commandments of the Lord
".

Which commandments of the Lord pertain to Lehi and which pertain to Nephi in the above verse?

1 Nephi 4:17 says "And again, I knew that the Lord had delivered Laban into my hands for this cause—
that I might obtain the records according to his commandments
"?  

Which commandments were given to Nephi about the records?

Matteo

14 minutes ago, romans8 said:

1 Nephi 3:16 says "Wherefore, let us be faithful in keeping the commandments of the Lord; therefore 
let us go down to the land of our father's inheritance, for behold he left gold and silver, and all 
manner of riches. And all this he hath done because of the commandments of the Lord
".

Which commandments of the Lord pertain to Lehi and which pertain to Nephi in the above verse?

1 Nephi 4:17 says "And again, I knew that the Lord had delivered Laban into my hands for this cause—
"?  

Matteo

Q1: See 1 Nephi 3: 15-16. Lehi led his family out of Jerusalem as commanded. Lehi was subsequently commanded to obtain the plates, and relayed this to his sons, just as he had relayed the commandment to leave Jerusalem. Lehi had been receiving these commandments as the legitimate leader, patriarch and prophet for his family.

Q2: See 1 Nephi 3:1-5. He was commanded to go to Laban's home, seek the plates, obtain them and bring them along the journey in the wilderness (see verse 4).

On 1/23/2021 at 8:58 AM, romans8 said:

".

"?  

Matteo

Nephi is referring to two commandments (commands, orders, instructions, tasks to complete...):  

1) When they left Jerusalem in the first place, the Lord told them to leave all their wealth behind.  They were to only take provisions with them into the wilderness.

2) Now they've been told to obtain the brass plates from Laban.

In case you didn't make the connection: Nephi is formulating a theory that the first one was given in order to fulfill the second one.  And in the long run, he was right.

Edited by Carborendum