What does a “unified” nation look like in terms of politics?

Fether

1 hour ago, JohnsonJones said:

I was not in Utah long ago, but outside of Utah we also had Roadshows and Gold and Green Balls.  The oddity of the Saints were that we would also celebrate Pioneer Day (no one else did, of course), normally with a Ward picnic.

They'd normally have a ward football game prior to food being served, and then the bruises and wounds of the game would be tended and laughed at.

Growing up I thought that members that lived outside of Utah were 2nd class members.  In high school I avoided girls from California because I thought their standards were too liberal.  Of course things have changed - you need not resent me or call me now to repentance.  But there were differences in LDS culture inside and outside of Utah.  For example, rode shows were quite the thing during my youth.  I was not kidding when I said our shows were prepared and rehearsed for a year.  The ward I grew up in was a very strong competitor.   Not only did we show and compete at the stake level - we often went on to region competition and then all church - which we won very often (like every year).  But there is some history from that era:

There was a lady that was perpetually in charge of our ward's road shows.  Her name was Janie Thompson.  If that name sounds familiar she was the founder of BYU's Young Ambassadors and a significant influence in the performing arts at BYU.  All of which had roots in the ward I grew up.  I believed my ward was the greatest ward in the church - which is interesting since this is a thread about unity.  As a deacon I was instrumental in starting a fight with our neighboring ward over which was the "True" ward.

The Traveler

3 hours ago, Traveler said:

Growing up I thought that members that lived outside of Utah were 2nd class members.  In high school I avoided girls from California because I thought their standards were too liberal.  Of course things have changed - you need not resent me or call me now to repentance.  But there were differences in LDS culture inside and outside of Utah.  For example, rode shows were quite the thing during my youth.  I was not kidding when I said our shows were prepared and rehearsed for a year.  The ward I grew up in was a very strong competitor.   Not only did we show and compete at the stake level - we often went on to region competition and then all church - which we won very often (like every year).  But there is some history from that era:

There was a lady that was perpetually in charge of our ward's road shows.  Her name was Janie Thompson.  If that name sounds familiar she was the founder of BYU's Young Ambassadors and a significant influence in the performing arts at BYU.  All of which had roots in the ward I grew up.  I believed my ward was the greatest ward in the church - which is interesting since this is a thread about unity.  As a deacon I was instrumental in starting a fight with our neighboring ward over which was the "True" ward.

The Traveler

Well, as a deacon that is not unexpected...youth makes it's mistakes.  There was no way for you to know that the True Ward was outside of Utah and was the one I eventually became a member of...

:taz:

Less humorously...I don't believe we ever went to a higher competition than the Stake night where everyone did their roadshow.  As we never won, I have no idea if the winners went to a higher regional or even went to a national contest between them.  I think that could have been costly to send the youth there, but it probably would have been a very memorable trip.

I never knew that we were considered second class by some in Utah, but ironically there have been similar feelings from those outside of Utah towards those in Utah.  We had some that considered Utah the promised land, but we also had many that considered all those in Utah to be lax in testimony and such.  As I was a convert and new member, I had no real opinion at the time except that I thought the missionaries (many who just happened to be from Utah) were some of the most righteous people I knew.  I think that many of our leadership back in my early years in the Church were originally from Utah but had moved out of Utah for work or other reasons.

One reason they gave me (and in a way it made sense, a lot more converts back in those days than there are now in the wards I was in) is that those from Utah understood how the Church worked and thus were better able to navigate the administrative ways than those of us who were new and had very little experience with the actual administrative side of the Church.