Baptist-mormon Preacher Here

LynnR

Yediyd asks,

"...So, how do you reconcile BOTH religions?..."

To give you the "cliff notes" answer, I have found that Book of Mormon Christians and Bible-believing Christians have far more in common than all our differences? Are there differences? Of course. But as a Southern Baptist minister, it's my firm belief that it's ttime we began celebrating our commonalities rather than continue to magnify our differences. For too long we've talked AT one another; not TO one another.

I have been preaching out of both the Bible and the Book of Mormon as a Southern Baptist minister for these past twenty plus years. And have discovered -- the Book of Mormon is the most non-sectarian book I've ever read. It's meant for all believers! Baptists, Methodists, Lutherans, Catholics, Pentecostals, Episcopalians, LDS, etc.

So, in the context of your question -- "how do you reconcile both religions" -- we have been sponsoring "Building Bridges Conferences" up and down the Salt Lake Valley, from as far south as St. George to Salt Lake for the past three years. Our purpose is rather modest, actually. We simply want to get Bible-believing Christians and Book of Mormon Christians in the same room together. And we begin fellowshipping. We have NO AGENDA. We're not in the least interested in proselyting. We're interested in understanding each other.

The response in Utah among the LDS especially has been wonderful. Hundreds of LDS brothers and sisters attend, along with us Protestants.

It's really been a healing experience for us all. And we had the wonderful privilege of accepting an invitation from your President Hinckley to attend a luncheon at the Lion's House, hosted by the First Presidency. It was a wonderful time.

Thanks for asking,

Lynn

Southern Baptist Minister

Independence, MO

Yediyd asks,

To give you the "cliff notes" answer, I have found that Book of Mormon Christians and Bible-believing Christians have far more in common than all our differences? Are there differences? Of course. But as a Southern Baptist minister, it's my firm belief that it's ttime we began celebrating our commonalities rather than continue to magnify our differences. For too long we've talked AT one another; not TO one another.

I have been preaching out of both the Bible and the Book of Mormon as a Southern Baptist minister for these past twenty plus years. And have discovered -- the Book of Mormon is the most non-sectarian book I've ever read. It's meant for all believers! Baptists, Methodists, Lutherans, Catholics, Pentecostals, Episcopalians, LDS, etc.

So, in the context of your question -- "how do you reconcile both religions" -- we have been sponsoring "Building Bridges Conferences" up and down the Salt Lake Valley, from as far south as St. George to Salt Lake for the past three years. Our purpose is rather modest, actually. We simply want to get Bible-believing Christians and Book of Mormon Christians in the same room together. And we begin fellowshipping. We have NO AGENDA. We're not in the least interested in proselyting. We're interested in understanding each other.

The response in Utah among the LDS especially has been wonderful. Hundreds of LDS brothers and sisters attend, along with us Protestants.

It's really been a healing experience for us all. And we had the wonderful privilege of accepting an invitation from your President Hinckley to attend a luncheon at the Lion's House, hosted by the First Presidency. It was a wonderful time.

Thanks for asking,

Lynn

Independence, MO

WOW! I was raised in a Southern Baptist church!! It will be interesting getting to know you!!! I still have some of my Baptist roots in me...the music comes to mind...also, I believe that the attonement happened on the cross and not in the garden...I know, I just spoke a "no-no"...but I have only three years as a Mormon and 40 as a Baptist...

Good to meet you, too, Yediyk!

One of the things that so impressed me as an evangelical Christian was the abundance of Protestant themes I ran across when I read the Book of Mormon my first time! Boy, was I pleasantly surprised! I used to teach on faculty at Jerry Falwell’s Liberty Baptist University, and I was “indoctrinated” all my life with all the typical “anti-Mormon” literature. While reading the Book of Mormon for the first time, I kept saying to myself, “where is all the weird stuff?!” To this day, I haven't found the "weird stuff."

I thought I’d share my actual conversion to the Book of Mormon. (Mods, my apologies if this is not the proper thread to do so.)

<div align="center">My Testimony of The Book of Mormon

<div align='center'>by Lynn Ridenhour

Southern Baptist Minister</div></div>

I’m an ordained Southern Baptist minister who for these past twenty or so years has been preaching out of both the Book of Mormon and the Bible. No, I’m not a convert to the Mormon faith, nor am I a member of any particular group such as the RLDS (The Community of Christ) or the Restoration Branch. I’m still a Baptist minister. To be exact, I’m "charismatic Baptist," for my wife and I embrace and practice the spiritual gifts as recorded in I Corinthians 12.

I’m often asked, "…but surely you don’t believe the Book of Mormon is the Word of God, do you?" I do. But I’m getting ahead of myself. Let me give you some background.

Theological Background

I consider myself a conservative (if not moderate) evangelical Christian. Back in the mid 1960s I attended William Jewell College in Liberty, Missouri, a Southern Baptist school, as a ministerial student. My major was religion. Some of my favorite writers are: the late Francis Schaeffer, the late C.S. Lewis (my favorite), George MacDonald, G. K. Chesterton, Clark Pinnock, Rick Joyner, Richard Wumbrandt, Watchman Nee, Kenyon, E.M. Bounds, Andrew Murray, Hudson Taylor, R.A. Torrey, Charles Finney, Rees Howell, Leonard Ravenhill, Oswald Chambers, Winkie Pratney, and Derek Prince.

They say, you can tell a lot about a man by the books he reads. I believe that.

While a ministerial student, I was very active in Campus Crusade for Christ, the Navigators, and Youth for Christ. After thirty-five years in the ministry, I still support the above youth organizations, and believe that the youth of America are indeed the future of our country. We must lead our young people to Christ.

Christian Service

I have been in Christian service now as a Southern Baptist minister for over forty years. I’ve served as youth director, youth evangelist, pastor and evangelist. I’ve also taught in Christian universities, including Jerry Falwell’s Liberty Baptist University and William Jewell College, my alma mater. My wife and I have also run and operated a non-denominational Christian halfway house and are presently active in the house church movement.

The Lord called me at the age of seventeen; I’m presently sixty two. I love the Lord with all my heart. He is my very life. Surely the hymn writer was right, "…every day with Jesus is sweeter than the day before…" I love serving Him. And count it all joy to be one of his chosen ones. We’re all His chosen ones. For He chose us first.

"You did not choose me, but I chose you…" (Jn.16:16).

I have found--there is no greater joy than serving the Lord.

Kept My Roots

Down through the years I have remained true to my Baptist roots. I still embrace those cardinal Protestant/Baptist doctrines; i.e., the born again experience, salvation through grace by faith, salvation by the finished work of Calvary, and faith in his shed blood.

Discovering the Book of Mormon

Then some would say, "how did you come to believe in the Book of Mormon? That’s like a Protestant Pope." No it’s not. It’s not a contradiction. I discovered—the Book of Mormon is full of Protestant themes!

In fact, I discovered, the Book of Mormon is more "Baptist" than the Baptist hymnal in places. I know that’s hard to believe, but it’s so. I read the Book from cover to cover and found as a Baptist minister, there is absolutely nothing in it that contradicts the Bible.

For example, the book uplifts the blood of Christ (Mosiah 1:118), declares that salvation is only by God’s grace (2 Nephi 7:42), defends the grand theme of salvation (Mosiah 1:108), and proclaims that salvation comes only through faith on the Lord Jesus Christ (Mosiah 3:8,9). Other themes such as repentance, atonement by Christ’s blood, redemption, and forgiveness run like a scarlet thread through the book as well (Alma 3:86, Helaman 2:71, Alma 13:13, Mosiah 2:3,4). I’m telling you, the grand themes of Protestantism are found recorded through and through. From cover to cover.

But again I’m getting ahead of myself.

A Word about My Background…

Reared in a small conservative Baptist church back in the hills of the Ozarks, I was taught with strong convictions that Mormons were no different from Jehovah Witnesses, Christian Scientists, or Armstrong followers. They all sooner or later knocked on your door. We were instructed by our parents to "…let none of them in the house. And don’t buy their materials…" All were cults. Certainly the Mormons were not within mainstream Christianity.

I was taught that the Book of Mormon was a lie. We have the Bible and no man was to add to the scriptures lest his soul be damned. And I was taught that the rapture could occur any minute. Establishing a literal kingdom on this earth was pure nonsense. And I believe my convictions were typical. Most protestant/pentecostal Christians today share similar sentiments.

The Lord directs I believe every minute detail of our lives. I transferred from teaching at Jerry Falwell’s university to Western Illinois University in Macomb, Illinois—twenty minutes from Carthage. In fact, my wife, Linda, taught in Carthage at Robert Morris College. Every day she would drive back and forth. On my non-teaching days I would drive her to work. On the way I noticed a big billboard "Visit historical Mormon site." As we would drive past the Carthage jail I watched tourists get out of their buses and walk inside. Of course, in my Protestant audacity I would always say a prayer for those poor deluded souls. I was also pastoring a Protestant church in Fandon, just a few miles outside of Carthage.

As a typical subdivision family, we were busy settling in. With a three-year old daughter, and with both of us working, I was aspiring that coveted university position tenure track. I would be quite happy publishing articles, writing a few books, teaching my classes and preaching on the weekends. But the Lord had other plans. One afternoon He spoke to me, "I want you to move to Kansas City." It didn’t make a lick of sense so I quite frankly ignored His instruction.

A year goes by and the Lord wouldn’t leave me alone.

"I want you to move to Kansas City."

I couldn’t shake it. But it seemed so off the wall that I never told my wife, Linda. One evening while grading composition papers, my wife walked into my study.

"Hon, may I talk with you."

"Sure."

"I know this sounds a little strange but I think the Lord wants us to move."

She had my attention. I put down my red pencil.

"And not only does He want us to move; I thinks He wants us to move to Kansas City."

I’m telling you—you could have knocked me over with a feather.

"Hon, I can’t believe this. I haven’t said anything because it sounded so ridiculous, but for the past year the Lord has been dealing with me for us to move to Kansas City. It didn’t make sense so I didn’t say anything."

Well, needless to say, we moved to Kansas City. Actually Independence. I had my confirmation. That was in 1985. Actually I moved down first. For Linda couldn’t get out of her teaching contract until early winter. She was on a tri-semester schedule. I told her, out of obedience to the Lord, I would drive down to Kansas City and start looking for us a place to live. So I did. I resigned my teaching position at the university and headed for KC.

I had to do some business with a chiropractor in a little town just outside of KC. I had never met the man, but when I walked into his office the Lord spoke and told me to tell him that I was a Christian. We transacted our business and started to leave, but remembered, "Sir, I almost forgot. I’m really down here looking for housing to move my family. And I know this perhaps sounds a bit strange, but the Lord told me to tell you that I was a Christian."

"O, I’m a Christian too. And we have one apartment available where I live."

"Where do you live?"

"Harvest Hills."

"Harvest Hills? That sounds Christian."

"It is. There’s fifty-five of us families that live together on about 200 acres."

I couldn’t believe what I was hearing. For sometime I had been interested in the concept of Christian community. We Baptists simply go to church. I felt as though there were more to Christianity than church going.

"Sir, I’m a Baptist minister and I’ve always been interested in a Christian community. Could you take me there?"

"Sure, we can take a lunch break, then drive out."

I bought him lunch and we visited Harvest Hills. It was beautiful. There were houses in a circle with an Olympic-size swimming pool out on the common green. Mothers could stand at their kitchen windows and watch the children play. Perfect. There was a community garden, a basketball court, and a big red barn for horses. I was very excited and called my wife.

"Hon, you’re not going to believe this. I have found us a place to live in a Christian community."

Harvest Hills was in Independence. I borrowed a coffee table, a chair, and a lamp from a friendly neighbor. No use to buy furniture since I would be moving our family down in the fall. It was May of ’85. Linda and Lori were back in Illinois and I drove back and forth on the weekends to continue preaching.

I had been at Harvest Hills less than a week when the doorbell rang. It was my neighbor, Dr. Kenneth Brown. Dr. Brown had a Ph.D in Psychology. I had a Ph.D in literature so we told old war stories about teaching, and had a wonderful visit. When he got ready to leave he remarked, "I almost forgot," and handed me a book. I looked at it and was shocked. It was a Book of Mormon! Sometimes we say the darndest things.

"That’s a Book of Mormon! I thought this was a Christian community?!"

He chuckled. "We are but we also believe in this book."

"Sir, I’m a Baptist minister."

I had the book in my hand, so out of courtesy I didn’t give it back. But I had no intention of reading the book. There I was—in an empty apartment with time on my hands and a Book of Mormon lying on the floor. A wrestling match began in my head. I was a literature professor with over 5,000 books in my personal library. I loved to read. But here was a book that I was intimated by. I must say, that felt a bit odd. I didn’t mind reading Milton or Shakespeare or William James. But I was afraid to read a book written by a twenty-three year old lad who was unschooled. Finally, I talked myself into it. I picked the book up, sat down in my chair, and began reading. What can I say…

I had an instant conversion. I didn’t get out of the first page—I Nephi chapter one, page one.

"I, Nephi, having been born of goodly parents…"

The Spirit of God bore strong witness from the start. The same Jesus I met in the Bible was in the Book of Mormon. You must remember, I taught at Jerry Falwell’s. We used Dr. Walter Martin’s "The Kingdoms of the Cults" as a textbook. It was part of our curriculum. Joseph Smith was listed as the founder of a cult. I believed it too. Two of my favorite apologists were Josh McDowell (Evidence That Demands A Verdict) and John Ankerberg (World Religions & Cults). I was steeped in deep "Anti-Mormon" materials. I was prejudiced emotionally, theologically, and spiritually. I just knew this book was "of the devil" and that Joseph Smith was a great imposter. In other words, I came with a lot of baggage. I had initially set out reading to prove how stupid my neighbor was for falling for this stuff. After all, he did have a Ph.D. He should know better.

That night as I kept reading, I was unexpectedly caught off guard. Where was all the weird stuff?! I would read a passage and say to myself, "…but I believe that." I would read another passage. "I believe that." I ran into such passages as:

"…Now I say unto you, that ye must repent, and be born again: for the Spirit saith, If ye are not born again, ye can not inherit the kingdom of heaven…" --Alma 5:24

Any Baptist would agree with that.

"…For, said he, I have repented of my sins, and have been redeemed of the Lord; behold, I am born of the Spirit. And the Lord said unto me, Marvel not that all mankind, yea, men, and women, all nations, kindreds, tongues and people, must be born again; Yea, born of God, changed from their carnal and fallen state, to a state of righteousness, being redeemed of God, becoming his sons and daughters; and thus they become new creatures; and unless they do this, they can in no wise inherit the kingdom of God…" –Mosiah 11:186-188

Wow!

As we say where I came from, "now that’s good preaching!"

"…Yea, behold, I say unto you, that as these things are true, and as the Lord God liveth, there is none other name given under heaven, save it be this Jesus Christ of which I have spoken, whereby man can be saved…" --II Nephi 11:39

And again, sound Baptist doctrine. Where’s the weird stuff?

Here’s another "Baptist" verse:

"…O remember, remember, my sons, the words which King Benjamin spake unto his people; yea, remember that there is no other way nor means whereby man can be saved, only through the atoning blood of Jesus Christ, who shall come; yea, remember that he cometh to redeem the world…" --Helaman 2:71

We Baptists are emphatic on the matter of the shed blood of Christ. Salvation is in the atoning blood of Christ.

"…And he shall be called Jesus Christ, the Son of God, the Father of heaven and earth, the Creator of all things, from the beginning; and his mother shall be called Mary. And lo, he cometh unto his own, that salvation might come unto the children of men, even through faith, on his name…" --Mosiah 1:102,103

We Baptists are also emphatic regarding the centrality of the person of Jesus Christ. To my great delight, I discovered--like the Bible, the central theme of the Book of Mormon is the Lordship of Jesus Christ. There are over 160 passages in the Book of Mormon that speak of the Lord Jesus Christ. There were 22 men named in the Book of Mormon who saw Christ. Some form of Christ’s name is mentioned on an average of every 1.7 verses. The New Testament mentions a form of Christ’s name on an average of every 2.1 verses. The name of the Savior appears nearly 25 percent more frequently in the Book of Mormon than in the New Testament. When we realize that a verse usually consists of one sentence, we cannot on the average read two sentences in the Book of Mormon without seeing some form of Christ’s name.

"He is Lord" rings loud and clear from its pages like a London cathedral choir harmonizing on a Sunday morning. The sound is resonant throughout the book’s pages. The Spirit’s witness is there.

I couldn’t put the book down!

Four evenings & three days later I put it down. I read spellbound. I read through the night. I read with tears in my eyes. I read nonstop. I understood what Parley P. Pratt was saying:

"…I read all day; eating was a burden, I had no desire for food; sleep was a burden when the night came, for I preferred reading to sleep...I esteemed the Book, or the information contained in it, more than all the riches of the world."

Perhaps George Cannon said it best: "…No wicked man could write such a book as this; and no good man would write it, unless it were true and he were commanded of God to do so."

My sentiments exactly.

Finally, I knocked on my neighbor’s door. Dr. Brown opened the door.

"Ken, is there any church on the face of this earth that believes this stuff?!"

He left me standing in the doorway and said, "I’ll be right back." Five minutes later he handed me eight volumes of church history.

I fell in love with Joseph Smith. Here’s my kind of guy! He accomplished so much with so little. His resources were limited. His time was limited. His education was limited. His freedom was limited, yet in his 38 short years he managed to squeeze in a city, a book, a university, a new religion, and a run at the Presidency.

I don’t think my people have ever researched firsthand Joseph Smith. I know I hadn’t. I simply took my pastor’s word for it that he was the founder of a cult. And I was against the Book of Mormon yet had never read it.

I thought the mayor of a prominent Illinois city, a contemporary with Joseph, said it well:

"It is by no means improbable that some future text book, for the use of generations yet unborn, will contain a question something like this: What historical American of the nineteenth century has exerted the most powerful influence upon the destinies of his countryman? And it by no means impossible that the answer to that interrogatory may be thus written: Joseph Smith, the Mormon prophet…Fanatics and imposters are living and dying every day, and their memory is buried with them; but the wonderful influence which this founder of a religion exerted and still exerts throws him into relief before us, not as a rogue to be criminated, but as a phenomenon to be explained." "Figures of the Past," p.376, Hon. Josiah Quincy

Moroni, the angelic visitor, said it correctly:

Joseph Smith, in his own diary, wrote, "He called me by name, and said unto me that he was a messenger sent from the presence of God to me, and that his name was Moroni. That God had a work for me to do, and that my name should be had for good and evil, among all nations, kindreds, and tongues; of that it should be both good and evil spoken of among all people."

That prophecy has truly come to pass.

The Man of God will make you mad or glad. It depends upon the soil of your heart—if it’s fertile or fallow.

Joseph Smith made people mad or glad. To some he was a prophet; to others he was a plagiarist. To some he was humble; to others he was an egotist. Some knew him to be kind and generous; others said he was lazy and a gold digger.

Two people looking at the same thing can, and often do, arrive at exact opposite views. One sees an angel; the other, a demon. (Ever watch Hannity & Colmes?)

I have found him to be exactly as he said he was—a modern-day prophet sent from God. I have also found the Book of Mormon to be what it said it was—an abridgment of the record of the people of Nephi, and also of the Lamanites…to the convincing of the Jew and Gentile that Jesus is the Christ, the Eternal God, manifesting Himself unto all nations. (Introduction)

I bear testimony—the same Jesus I discovered in the Bible, I found in the Book of Mormon.

May the Spirit of God bear the same witness with you.

Lynn Ridenhour

Independence, MO

WOW! I was raised in a Southern Baptist church!! It will be interesting getting to know you!!! I still have some of my Baptist roots in me...the music comes to mind...also, I believe that the attonement happened on the cross and not in the garden...I know, I just spoke a "no-no"...but I have only three years as a Mormon and 40 as a Baptist...

Do the Mormon's believe in the cross?

Yediyd asks,

Thanks for asking,

Lynn

Independence, MO

How wonderfull! Ya know the L.D.S authorities have been teaching this for 150 years?

:P

Do the Mormon's believe in the cross?

Of course we believe in the cross...it is also taught in our church that the attonement happened in the garden and not as much on the cross...I disagree with this, But I do believe that Jesus died for my sins and all we Mormons believe that Jesus took our sins and atoned for them. He is the ONLY door to Heaven.

...Lynn, your post was long and intimidating as I am getting sleepy, I promise to read it in full tomorrow and respond accordingly!!!

...Lynn, your post was long and intimidating as I am getting sleepy, I promise to read it in full tomorrow and respond accordingly!!!

Sorry about that.

As said, I wasn't sure this particular thread was the proper place for a testimony...that by its very nature, tends to go on and on...

My apologies.

Lynn

Sorry about that.

As said, I wasn't sure this particular thread was the proper place for a testimony...that by its very nature, tends to go on and on...

My apologies.

Lynn

Don't apologise!! I love testimonies...I am just sleepy right now and I have church tomorrow...I need to get to bed soon!!!

BTW...here is my testimony:

http://www.ldstalk.com/forums/blog/yediyd/...?showentry=1084

Baptists are cool. In fact if I had not become LDS, I think Baptist would have been my second choice. I realize that in general they may tend to have a chip on their shoulder about LDS related stuff, but I believe that no matter what anybody believes about anything, the true answer is love. I joined a Christian fellowship at a school soon after my baptism, and I was open about my beliefs to the Southern Baptist who rant the group. At times we didn't agree, but neither one of us gave in to contention. He had a very special spirit about him, and he made my and my friend welcome.

I recognize the need to protect the flock against any dangers. Lies are certainly not the way to go. I have far more respect for a man who studied the Book of Mormon and concluded it was false, than for a person who blindly trusts in other's opinions without even a desire to verify.

Your words are very kind!

Thank you,

Lynn

Welcome to the board, Lynn. I've read your posts a little on MADB before and I wondered why you aren't LDS considering your love of The Book of Mormon. Were you ever Mormon to begin with or did you discover The Book of Mormon while being a Baptist minister? What's stopping you from being baptized? It's not often I meet a Baptist who is pro-Book of Mormon. Actually, I don't know anyone besides you. Most people like that are now LDS.

I don't know why the other protestant faiths bash the LDS so much and even do it [in] deciet.

Peg,

Sadly, I must agree with your sentiments.

There's an old saying here in Missouri, "we tend to be down on what we're not up on." I think it applies to your comment. I would say, 95 to 99% of all evangelical preachers (and perhaps members) have drawn their conclusions about the Mormon faith based upon seconded-handed information. I know I did. It wasn't until I took the time and initiative to read first-hand materials (i.e., Book of Mormon, Times & Seasons, Elders Journal, Church History Volumes, and the likes, that my mind and heart was changed.

Rick Joyner, considered by most of us evangelicals as a "protestant prophet," made a cutting but true statement:

"Those who preach against cults are more dangerous than the cults they preach against."

Ouch!

Lynn

Morning Star asks why I am not LDS?

Excellent question.

Bottom line is: I'm your best advocate! I can get more done outside the church. Practically speaking, I'm accepted in both camps. I preach in Baptist churches; I speak in Book of Mormon churches. I live here in Independence where the world headquarters is for your cousins in the faith. I'm talking about the RLDS brothers and sisters. There are thousands of Book of Mormon believers here in town that are not LDS and who let me minister in their churches.

On a more philosophical note, I see my calling and ministry as: building bridges. I share some church history quotes that are meaningful to what I do.

“...We are asked, ‘is the church of God, and the kingdom of God the same organization? And we are informed that some of the brethren hold that they are separate.'

This is the correct view to take. The kingdom of God is a separate organization from the Church of God. On this point the prophet of God gave an example, which he asked the younger elders who were present to always remember. It was to the effect that men might be chosen to officiate as members of the kingdom of God who had no standing in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.” (LDS History of the Church, 7:382).

In the 1998 General Conference, Gordon B. Hinkley said:

"We can respect other religions, and must do so. We must recognize the great good they accomplish. We must teach our children to be tolerant and friendly toward those not of our faith. We can and do work with those of other religions in the defense of those values which have made our civilization great and our society distinctive."

And of course, Joseph Smith's quasi-famous statement (from History of the Church 5:517):

"Have the Presbyterians any truth? Yes. Have the Baptists, Methodists, etc., any truth? Yes. They all have a little truth mixed with error. We should gather all the good and true principles in the world and treasure them up, or we shall not come out true "Mormons." "

And (from History of the Church 5:499)...

"The inquiry is frequently made of me, "Wherein do you differ from others in your religious views?" In reality and essence we do not differ so far in our religious views, but that we could all drink into one principle of love. One of the grand fundamental principles of 'Mormonism" is to receive truth, let it come from whence it may."

And, one of my new favorites (from Documentary History of the Church Vol.5, p. 498):

"The Saints can testify whether I am willing to lay down my life for my brethren. If it has been demonstrated that I have been willing to die for a Mormon, I am bold to declare before Heaven that I am just as ready to die in defending the rights of a Presbyterian, a Baptist, or a good man of any other denomination; for the same principle which would trample upon the rights of the Latter-day Saints would trample upon the rights of the Roman Catholic or of any other denomination who may be unpopular and too weak to defend themselves."

And finally, Brother Brigham on the subject (from Journal of Discourses 11:375):

""Mormonism" so-called, embraces every principle pertaining to life and salvation for time and eternity. No matter who has it. If the infidel has got truth it belongs to "Mormonism." The truth and sound doctrine possessed by the sectarian world, and they have a great deal, all belong to this church. As for their morality many of them are morally just as good as we are. All that is good, lovely, and praiseworthy belongs to this church and kingdom."

I will share this.

I believe it's a new day.

Important leaders in both camps are beginning to dialogue. I am acquainted with BYU professors who are dialoguing, for instance, with evangelical seminary presidents. I'm particularly thinking of Dr. Richard Mouw, President of Fuller Theological Seminary and Bob Millett, BYU faculty member. In fact, Dr. Mouw wrote the forward and afterward to Professor Millett's latest book. A thing unheard of a few years back!

Lynn

I am no Dr. and have no PhDs but the same happened to me...well my granfather was a professor, does that count?? ... the Dean or something... ALL Lutheran preasts went through his fingers at the time he was active in work.

Well come from Norway.

Welcome to the board, Lynn. I've read your posts a little on MADB before and I wondered why you aren't LDS considering your love of The Book of Mormon. Were you ever Mormon to begin with or did you discover The Book of Mormon while being a Baptist minister? What's stopping you from being baptized? It's not often I meet a Baptist who is pro-Book of Mormon. Actually, I don't know anyone besides you. Most people like that are now LDS.

Lynn, I would like a more direct response from you on this. We know you started out non-LDS, but I do believe you were once a baptized LDS Church member. True?

HiJolly

[...]

My Testimony of The Book of Mormon

by Lynn Ridenhour

[...]

Welcome to the board, we're glad you're here. I'm pretty new around here myself, and I'm still wandering the halls, learning who's who, putting names to faces, etc. At any rate, you'll have to excuse my skepticism at the thought of a southern Baptism minister who preaches from the Book of Mormon. With due respect, this doesn't exactly add up. It's like saying Bill Gates will now be sitting on the Board of Directors for Apple Computers, or that Rosie has become the newest hairstylist for the Donald! ;)

Don't get me wrong -- I (and we as a church) love and respect people from other churches. You're just as welcome here as anyone else, and just because I haven't heard of something before (i.e., a Baptist minister who likes to preach from the Book of Mormon) doesn't mean that it's not possible. For someone as knowledgeable as yourself, however, I'm getting somewhat of a mixed message. To understand the Book of Mormon as a non-sectarian book is to misunderstand the Book of Mormon. Clearly, you've done a great deal of reading and studying to the point where you know that the Book of Mormon is another witness of Jesus Christ. Additionally, to understand the truthfulness of the Book of Mormon is to recognize and understand how this book came to be -- that the Lord speaks to man through prophets, both ancient and modern, that the heavens are not sealed, that Joseph Smith himself was the prophet chosen to restore the Church of Jesus Christ through proper priesthood authority, that salvation is made available in and through the atoning blood of Jesus Christ, and that ultimately, salvation comes only by making and keeping eternal covenants just as Abraham of old did. There's quite a bit to it.

Some of your scriptural references are not clear (Mosiah 1:118, 2 Nephi 7:42, Mosiah 1:108) where the first number represents the chapter and the second number represents the verse. Also, you mentioned that "salvation comes only through faith on the Lord Jesus Christ (Mosiah 3:8,9)." This is not completely correct -- the word "only" does not appear in those verses -- I think you might have added that, and that one word makes a big difference. As you read and study the Book of Mormon, you'll know and recognize that in addition to "faith on His name," obedience to the laws and commandments of Jesus Christ is a very important central theme: "...for ye ought to know as I do know, that inasmuch as ye shall keep the commandments of God ye shall prosper in the land; and ye ought to know also, that inasmuch as ye will not keep the commandments of God ye shall be cut off from his presence. Now this is according to his word." (Alma 36:30)

Basically, I guess I'm not quite clear as to how you can understand the truthfulness of the Book of Mormon so well and still feel that you "can get more done outside the church." I think you'd be surprised to learn that your testimony of the Book of Mormon will allow you to "get more done inside the church" than out.

Peace --

Steele

Lynn, I would like a more direct response from you on this. We know you started out non-LDS, but I do believe you were once a baptized LDS Church member. True?

HiJolly

I was a member for approximately six years during the '90s. Because I live in Independence, MO, where there are, I would say, over 50 Book of Mormon sects, the ministry the Lord has called me to is: 1) regional, and 2) admittedly rather unique. In a nutshell, the Lord wants me to minister among ALL the Book of Mormon groups; i.e., LDS, RLDS, Elijah Messenger, Temple Lot, Remnant, Restoration, etc. Not just one.

Because I'm keenly aware that church membership is held in extreme high regard among LDS brothers and sisters, I need to give more than a "cliff notes" response to your question. That is, if I'm to do it justice. So...here goes:

I try to live my Christian life by two spiritual principles:

1) Ministry assignments, and 2) total surrender and obedience to Jesus in all things.

Paul, the apostle, was passionate about one thing. So am I.

“…I have become a servant of everyone so that I can bring them to Christ,” said Paul. “When I am with the Jews, I become one of them so that I can bring them to Christ…When I am with the Gentiles who do not have the Jewish law, I fit in with them as much as I can. In this way, I gain their confidence and bring them to Christ…When I am with those who are oppressed, I share their oppression so that I might bring them to Christ. Yes, I try to find common ground with everyone so that I might bring them to Christ. I do all this to spread the Good News.”

--I Corinthians 9:19-23 (New Living Translation)

I can say it no better than Paul. When I am with the Amish, “I fit in with them as much as I can.” When I am living among the hippies, “I try to fit in as much as I can.” When I am with the Baptists, I try and fit in. When with the Mormons, “I try to find common ground” also “so that I might bring them to Christ.”

It’s my passion to bring everyone to Christ. Regardless.

Paul said, “I try to find common ground with everyone so that I might bring them to Christ. I do all this to spread the Good News.” Again--so do I.

Trying to fit in as much as I can in order to spread the gospel…that’s pretty much a summary of my forty years in the ministry.

In 1965 when ordained a Southern Baptist minister in the First Baptist Church of Belle, Missouri, my home town—a small, sleepy community located on the edge of the Ozarks, little did I know then what the Lord had in store for my life.

His ministry assignments down through the years have taken me among Catholic monks, living with the hippies, ministering among Methodists, pastoring a Disciples of Christ church, a Baptist church, a charismatic interdenominational church, and a non-denominational house church. I have been called to be a bridge builder.

My current assignment is to build bridges between Bible-believing Christians and Book of Mormon Christians—called to minister among Book of Mormon believers; i.e., RLDS, LDS, Culterites, Strangites, Elijah Messenger churches, and Restoration Branches. As well as other Book of Mormon sects.

The words of Paul truly bear repeating: “…Yes, I try to find common ground with everyone [Mormons, hippies, Baptists, Methodists, Catholics, Amish] so that I might bring them to Christ. I do all this to spread the Good News…”

I think Joseph Smith’s words apply:

On one occasion, in a sermon, he said, “…If I esteem mankind to be in error, shall I bear down on them? No. I will lift them up, and in their own way too, if I cannot persuade them my way is better. I will not seek to compel any man to believe as I do, only by force or reasoning, for truth will cut its own way. Do you believe Jesus Christ and the gospel of salvation, which he revealed? So do I. Christians should cease wrangling and contending with each other, and cultivate the principles of union and friendship. I am just as ready to die defending the rights of a Presbyterian, a Baptist, or a good man of any other denomination.”

--Sermon, 1843

Joseph was extremely tolerant of Christians from other sects. And so should we be.

My assignment from the Lord currently is to minister in both camps, in Bible-believing churches and in Book of Mormon churches. To be a bridge builder between the two. To join together the Two Sticks.

You might be asking—“…But Brother Lynn, how can you minister among the different sects and remain true to your Baptist convictions?” Good question. Fortunately, the answer is simple: I understand the difference between unity and conformity.

Every believer who confesses Jesus Christ as his or her Lord is my brother or sister, regardless of creed, color, or class. Fellowship in the gospel is centered on the Lordship of Jesus Christ—a personality--not conformity of creed or doctrine.

The love of God demands unity in essentials and tolerance in non-essentials. And what are the essentials? Jesus! Which means—I can minister freely among the Mormons, or the Amish, or Methodists, or Baptists, or monks, knowing with full assurance that our fellowship is focused on Jesus. Not the church.

My Move to Independence and My Current Call

In May of 1985 the Lord moved my family and me to Independence, MO. My neighbor happened to be RLDS (aka Community of Christ). One evening Dr. Kenneth Brown knocked on my door and handed me a Book of Mormon. I read it and had an instant conversion. I didn’t get out of the first page when I realized I was reading the Word of God. The same Jesus I met in the Bible I met in the Book of Mormon.

I knew Mike Bickle who founded KC Metro Fellowship, an international charismatic church in south Kansas City. Mike and I had ministered briefly together at the Upper Room Fellowship, the Christian halfway house for drug addicts and the homeless. My wife and I had experienced our prayer language in 1970 and were moving in spiritual gifts, so at the time we were attending KC Metro Fellowship. Our daughter went to Dominion Christian School, operated by Brother Bickle’s church.

During the mid to late eighties we were asked to be involved in the CCC movement (Contemporary Christian Church), an experimental alternative congregation primarily founded for the youth of the RLDS church. We accepted the call though we were still members of KC Metro Fellowship.

Through the help of our ministry with CCC, spiritual gifts began to manifest among the RLDS saints. Miracles and healings occurred; tongues and interpretations, and prophecy, along with singing in the spirit. A newfound freedom of worship began to flow among the saints. The Lord was really moving.

Eventually the General Authorities put pressure on us to become a member of the RLDS church or discontinue our ministering. (We were not priesthood ministers.) To most who attended the CCC movement, it made no difference. We prayed and felt our ministry assignment was not complete; thus, we became a member.

Like Paul, I will try to find common ground with everyone so that I might bring them to Christ.

If I needed to get baptized, I would. Paul shaved his head in order to communicate and continue his ministry.

My ministry focus is on Him and His kingdom, not the church and doctrine, so I had no problem in becoming a member. Let me say--since doctrine plays such a critical role in Mormonism, perhaps now would be an appropriate time to state my position, my understanding of Truth. Or more precisely—address the question: what is Truth?

I believe God is the Truth. Jesus said so in John 14:6. “I am…the truth,” he said. In other words, Ultimate Truth is found in a person, not a creed or doctrine. Again—God is the Truth. Your Bible and Book of Mormon are the truth about the Truth. Your theology and doctrine are the truth about the truth about the Truth.

And as an old wise Baptist preacher once said, “Son, remember. You can know the truth about the truth about the truth and not know the Truth. And that’s the God’s truth!”

I can say it no better.

It’s been my experience, most believers (LDS and evangelicals) get hung up on truth about the Truth. Doctrine. Sadly, it’s our belief about God that keeps us from God.

Back to our point.

In 1996 the Lord said, “I want you to also minister among the LDS.” You must keep in mind--Independence, Missouri, is the world headquarters for the RLDS. There are thousands of Book of Mormon believers around town here who are not LDS. There is much squabbling here over the issue of presidential succession--the question of who was to be the rightful successor to Joseph, the martyr. Feelings run deep and are set in concrete. Some say Brigham Young was the rightful successor; others say Joseph’s son, Joseph III, was the one to lead the restored church of Jesus Christ after the prophet had been murdered. The LDS and RLDS seem to stay in their separate camps here in town. They rarely speak or interact. And then we have the “spin off” groups; the self-proclaimed successors to the prophet. I would say—we have thirty or forty Book of Mormon groups around town.

To say the least, tempers do fly at times. It’s not a good thing.

Squabbling in the Center Place

To give an example, I was riding in the car up near the square one afternoon with my good friend and neighbor, Dr. Kenneth Brown, when we drove by the place where Joseph said “this is the spot,” meaning, of course—this is the spot where the Temple for the New Jerusalem will be built. Temple Lot believers are custodians of that piece of ground. Within a one-mile radius you can see the LDS Visitors’ Center, the RLDS Auditorium and their Temple spiraling toward the sky, as well as the Temple Lot church. All within a stone’s throw.

I was new in town so Ken was showing me around, giving me a quick history lesson in restoration theology and its politics. I asked, “…What is that?” not knowing I was pointing to the LDS Visitors’ Center.

“…O, that belongs to the apostates!” he shot back. Ken was RLDS.

On another occasion, I was visiting the Temple Lot Church. I had never been inside. A white-haired Elder greeted me with courtesy at the door. He gave me a brief history of the grounds, telling me how he felt that the Lord had appointed his church to be good stewards of “the spot” where Joseph said the New Jerusalem temple was to be built.

After our session was over, I was standing by a window, looking at the RLDS auditorium. I asked, “…Who built that?” (I was still rather new in town.)

He quickly responded, “…that building was built in the earlier years by the apostates.” He was a Temple Lot believer. This time the RLDS were the apostates. And on and on stories of sectarian apostasy seem to circulate around town--each group proclaiming proper succession, and each group calling the others “apostates.”

In 1996 the Lord said, “…I want you to be a bridge builder among all the restoration saints.” We had been ministering among the RLDS. And other restoration sects. Now He was sending us to the LDS.

Some would say--then why are you not a member today? 1) Because my allegiance is to Jesus first, not to the church. We go where we’re led. And here’s the bottom line. None of those doctrines and teachings of the church mean a thing without Him. Our focus must always be: on Him. Not the church. Does that mean I do not respect the church? Of course not. Does it mean—I have a hidden agenda and want to preach my own brand of Mormonism? (Whatever that is.) Of course not. Am I “anti-Mormon?” I have not a bone in my body that’s “anti-Mormon.” Do I want to start my own following? Too many headaches. Then why am I not a member today? Because…

2) My assignment from the Lord at this season in my life, as said, is to be a bridge builder. For instance, as I write this, we’re in the planning stages of hosting a “Building Bridges” Conference here in the Center Place of Zion with representative speakers from all backgrounds whose focus is on Jesus. We plan to have an LDS speaker, an RLDS, a Restoration Branch speaker, a Methodist, Baptist, Pentecostal, a Charismatic speaker—and all of us will demonstrate to the Body of Christ that we love Jesus with a passion, and that we uphold each other as brothers and sisters with the highest of esteem. We recognize, in other words, one another’s ministries. And pray for one another.

It’s my passionate belief—sooner or later the Two Sticks must be joined together! That means more than the southern and northern tribes of Israel reuniting in the endtime. It means--believers in the Stick of Judah (Protestants) and believers in the Stick of Joseph (Latter-day Saints) must come together in these last days and present the gospel of Jesus Christ to the world—united as one.

There must come a time when there are no more “ites” on this earth.

We must remind ourselves--there are not two gospels: one for Latter-day Saints and one for us Protestants.

Forgive my lengthy reply. But, as said, your question encourges, if not demands, more than a "cliff notes" response.

Lynn

Steele writes,

"...Some of your scriptural references are not clear (Mosiah 1:118, 2 Nephi 7:42, Mosiah 1:108) where the first number represents the chapter and the second number represents the verse..."

Steele,

It's almost two in the morning and I'm getting sleepy. You asked some other questions. I'll deal with them later. But wanted to clarify the scriptural references concrern.

As said, I live here in Independence, MO, the world headquarters for your cousins in the faith, the RLDS. Their Book of Mormon is the same as yours, but for some reason, they changed the chapters and verses. I don't know why but they did. Since I live here among thousands of RLDS Book of Mormon, most of my chapter and verse references are quotes from the RLDS version of the BofM.

I am in the process of adding the LDS verses in addition to the RLDS verses.

Hope this helps,

Lynn