Carborendum

What the Heck Just Happened?

Recommended Posts

I was driving home on the expressway -- two lanes in my direction.

I saw a car approaching from behind.  As he got closer I saw him changing lanes because apparently 75 mph is not fast enough for him  He went out from my field of vision in my rearview mirror and into my blind spot.

I kept a lookout from the corner of my eye to watch for him passing me.  But he didn't.  He just stayed in my blind spot.  I found that really annoying.  I think it's dangerous.  I tried slowing a bit to let him pass me.  But he was still in my blind spot.  I kept an eye out for movement in my rear view, side view, and beside me.  I couldn't see him.

Then I saw another car come from behind and do the same thing.  But instead of staying there in my blind spot, he came up and passed me.  

So, what just happened to the first car?  I asked my wife to look around and verify that there were no cars around us.  She assured me that there weren't.  There were no off-ramps we passed.  The car just freaking disappeared!

(cue Twilight Zone music).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

(cue Twilight Zone music).

Unbeknownst to you, you were just in a "Blind Spot Mirror" commercial. 
I went to an Autozone type store several years ago and bought some little $5 stick on blind spot mirrors... they have been used every time I drive now. Huge help!
Similar to the attached picture. 

Glad you both were safe and you didn't end up on an episode of 'Active Self Protection'. 
s-l1600.thumb.jpg.748eeebbf74f1d7bf434f161c8308165.jpg

Edited by NeedleinA

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, if you were in the fast lane, then my carnal fallen self hopes you have nightmares about it, and the ghost car haunts you to the end of your days.  People who drive in the fast lane (so says my sinful natural man), deserve far worse than they usually get.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, NeedleinA said:

Unbeknownst to you, you were just in a "Blind Spot Mirror" commercial. 
I went to an Autozone type store several years ago and bought some little $5 stick on blind spot mirrors... they have been used every time I drive now. Huge help!
Similar to the attached picture. 

Glad you both were safe and you didn't end up on an episode of 'Active Self Protection'. 
s-l1600.thumb.jpg.748eeebbf74f1d7bf434f161c8308165.jpg

I have the same thing on my car. They're cheap, effective, easy to use and make a significant contribution to road safety. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Carborendum said:

I was driving home on the expressway -- two lanes in my direction.

I saw a car approaching from behind.  As he got closer I saw him changing lanes because apparently 75 mph is not fast enough for him  He went out from my field of vision in my rearview mirror and into my blind spot.

I kept a lookout from the corner of my eye to watch for him passing me.  But he didn't.  He just stayed in my blind spot.  I found that really annoying.  I think it's dangerous.  I tried slowing a bit to let him pass me.  But he was still in my blind spot.  I kept an eye out for movement in my rear view, side view, and beside me.  I couldn't see him.

Then I saw another car come from behind and do the same thing.  But instead of staying there in my blind spot, he came up and passed me.  

So, what just happened to the first car?  I asked my wife to look around and verify that there were no cars around us.  She assured me that there weren't.  There were no off-ramps we passed.  The car just freaking disappeared!

(cue Twilight Zone music).

Took one of the exits that you passed?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He and his car were un-translated* in that very moment. 
 

*(Like being translated, except you go to hell instead of heaven.  If there’s a just God, this is A Thing—especially for obnoxious drivers.)

Edited by Just_A_Guy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/6/2021 at 4:34 PM, Carborendum said:

I was driving home on the expressway -- two lanes in my direction.

I saw a car approaching from behind.  As he got closer I saw him changing lanes because apparently 75 mph is not fast enough for him  He went out from my field of vision in my rearview mirror and into my blind spot.

I kept a lookout from the corner of my eye to watch for him passing me.  But he didn't.  He just stayed in my blind spot.  I found that really annoying.  I think it's dangerous.  I tried slowing a bit to let him pass me.  But he was still in my blind spot.  I kept an eye out for movement in my rear view, side view, and beside me.  I couldn't see him.

Then I saw another car come from behind and do the same thing.  But instead of staying there in my blind spot, he came up and passed me.  

So, what just happened to the first car?  I asked my wife to look around and verify that there were no cars around us.  She assured me that there weren't.  There were no off-ramps we passed.  The car just freaking disappeared!

(cue Twilight Zone music).

I have two thoughts or expressions for you:

#1. Perhaps the first car was being driven by one of the 3 Nephites.

#2. All cars driven in the USA should be equipped with 3 mirrors.  The mirror on the right side should be adjusted so you can see cars and anything else on the right side of your car that is not in your peripheral vision.  The mirror on the middle of your windshield is so you can see cars and anything behind your car.  The mirror on your left side is so you can see cars and other things on your left that is not in your peripheral vision (most often it is this side where blind spots are created.)  If you have a blind spot it is because your mirrors are not adjusted properly.  It seems to me that 90% of drivers do not know how to adjust their mirrors.  Too many people seem to think that all the mirrors should be adjusted to see what is behind them which will create blind spots.

 

The Traveler

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/6/2021 at 3:53 PM, NeedleinA said:

Glad you both were safe and you didn't end up on an episode of 'Active Self Protection'.

What? You mean I'm not the only one who watches that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/7/2021 at 3:11 AM, Jamie123 said:

Perhaps it turned into a wave! 😯

Yes, see Mordor's post below.

17 hours ago, classylady said:

My guess: Maybe the driver of the other car thought he saw a patrol car and quickly decelerated and backed off, which you didn’t notice.

I was paying really close attention -- as much as possible without distracting myself from seeing in front of me.  And there really were no other cars near us.  I think I'd notice.

12 hours ago, mordorbund said:

The car was coming from inside the vehicle.......

If we believe in a dark matter car or a phase change from matter to energy, or the existence of Pym particles, that could certainly be possible.

8 hours ago, Just_A_Guy said:

He and his car were un-translated* in that very moment. 

*(Like being translated, except you go to hell instead of heaven.  If there’s a just God, this is A Thing—especially for obnoxious drivers.)

Sometimes I wish that were a thing.  Then I take a look at the mirror and think better of it.

7 hours ago, Vort said:
On 2/6/2021 at 5:53 PM, NeedleinA said:

Glad you both were safe and you didn't end up on an episode of 'Active Self Protection'. 

What? You mean I'm not the only one who watches that?

I've never heard of that before.  But I'm checking it out now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Carborendum said:
9 hours ago, Vort said:
On 2/6/2021 at 4:53 PM, NeedleinA said:

Glad you both were safe and you didn't end up on an episode of 'Active Self Protection'. 

What? You mean I'm not the only one who watches that?

I've never heard of that before.  But I'm checking it out now.

Quite a bit of horrible advice and dumb videos out there.  ASP is one of the good ones.

Edited by NeuroTypical

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, NeuroTypical said:

There's a lot of horrible advice and dumb videos out there.  ASP is one of the good ones.

"You've got to cover your ASP". Here is an example for you @Carborendum

Edit: You can see their videos online.

Edited by NeedleinA

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh - we need a warning for those videos.  Active Self Protection videos like the one above, tend to be extremely graphic.  They walk through and critique real violent and/or deadly situations.   Someone dies in the video above.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now