"Disguised as Dining Chairs"

Jamie123

Announcing my new avatar: Helping Henry!

Henry - the talking dining chair from outer space - was a kids' TV show from the 1980s. Most people don't believe it ever existed. But it did. I know because I can remember watching it. I'm not lying and I didn't dream it, and the Internet has now proven me right! So there!

This was the theme song:

"One famous day we soared away in deepest darkest space

To find that world, the planet "Earth", that dark mysterious place

We didn't want the Earth to know about our curious affairs

That's why we crossed the universe disguised as dining chairs!"

So there you have it. Henry (or N3) was sent to Earth observe the  humans from the unobtrusive perspective of a dining room chair. He often talked - blinking his creepy eyes, moving his wooden eyebrows up and down and gesticulating with his "arms". Oddly enough he couldn't walk on his "legs" and had to rely on a little boy (the only human who knew about him) to push him around the room. At the end of every episode he reported his "findings" to his superiors (a blatant rip-off of Mork and Mindy) who appeared in the room as coloured floating clouds.  His observations on humanity were always wildly off the mark.  

Helping-Henry-Channel-4.jpg

Aliens in the dining room, disguised as chairs...makes you wonder about quantum mechanics, don't you think?

P.S. Youtube has it: Helping Henry TV Series 1988, compilation reel - YouTube

Edited by Jamie123

He looks pretty happy, at least. That's good. I guess. Unless he's just thinking about how good people taste... He does have those front-facing, stereoscopic eyes placed for depth perception, so necessary for carnivorous hunters. The more I look at him, the less friendly he seems. Now I'm a little bit scared.

38 minutes ago, Vort said:

He looks pretty happy, at least. That's good. I guess. Unless he's just thinking about how good people taste... He does have those front-facing, stereoscopic eyes placed for depth perception, so necessary for carnivorous hunters. The more I look at him, the less friendly he seems. Now I'm a little bit scared.

Yep...the eyes and the eyebrows certainly were creepy, but the smiling mouth and the suggestion of pudgy cheeks offset this. Somewhat. Nevertheless, I wouldn't be surprised if he got taken off the air because of irate parents complaining about sleepless nights spent comforting kids who'd had nightmares about "Henry".