Bringing forth the fulness of the gospel

Jonah

Would someone clarify this section.

"Behold, I am Jesus Christ, the Son of the living God, who created the heavens and 
the earth, a light which cannot be hid in darkness; Wherefore, I must bring forth 
the fulness of my gospel from the Gentiles unto the house of Israel
".

Who exactly are these Gentiles and why must it come from them instead of the
house of Israel to the house of Israel?

Jonah

18 minutes ago, Jonah said:

Would someone clarify this section.

Yes, of course.  I believe it is saying.

"Behold, I am Jesus Christ, the Son of the living God, who created the heavens and 
the earth, a light which cannot be hid in darkness; Wherefore, I must bring forth 
the fulness of my gospel from the Gentiles unto the house of Israel
".

1 Nephi 15:13–20

Edited by Carborendum

“Gentile”, “Jew”, and “House of Israel” are not always used consistently in scripture.  Sometimes “Jew” and “Israelite” are used interchangeably; other times other “Jew” means specifically a member of the tribe of Judah whereas “Israelite” is by design a broader reference to anyone who is descended from one of the twelve tribes; other times it refers to someone who has entered the Gospel covenant and is considered “adopted” into Israel regardless of their literal ancestry.  Similarly:  sometimes “Gentile” means someone of no known Israelitish descent at all; other times it means simply someone who isn’t a Jew (but may have other Israelitish ancestry); and still other times it is simply a catch-all term meaning “nonbeliever” regardless of what the actual bloodline may have been.

In this particular passage, the point is that in the last days the Gospel goes first to people whose ancestors had not had the “fullness” of the Gospel and who, at that point in time, didn’t even know they had Israelitish ancestry (the “Gentiles” of the antebellum USA); and that these people then take the Gospel to others whose ancestors at one point had had, and then rejected, much more light and knowledge than what was currently available (in D&C 14, the two groups probably envisioned by Joseph Smith were the survivors of the Lehite civilization living in the Americas, and the “Jews” as defined in modern colloquial understanding). 

Edited by Just_A_Guy

On 3/1/2021 at 10:32 AM, Jonah said:

Who exactly are these Gentiles and why must it come from them instead of the
house of Israel to the house of Israel?

Jonah

There are a number of scriptures (including Biblical Scriptures) that can be found by using a search filter "third part".  When ever this term, "third part" is used we can understand that such ancient scripture is not talking about a fraction because the ancient did not have a numbering system (number theory) that included fraction - therefore in the thinking and literature of the ancients, fractions could not have existed.  What we know is that whatever is being talked about is divided into 3 parts and that the parts do not of necessity need to be equal or near equal in number.  Now to understand the term Gentiles.  The term Gentile is first used in scripture to describe the populations of the world that descended from Noah's son Japheth.   Noah's son Shem was the son symbolizing the covenant nation (later to become the "nation" of Israel").

According to the symbolism of the Noah epoch - Shem and Japheth enjoy an important relationship concerning the covenant.  According to the symbolism and imagery of Isaiah this imagery between Shem and Japheth (Israel and Gentiles) will play out through history with particular relevance in the Last-days and the restoration of all things (fullness of the "good news" or gospel).  Perhaps the most profound symbolism and imagery of this relationship between Israel and the Gentiles is in the Book of Mormon scripture referenced in part by @Carborendum's previous post in this thread.

Finally to demonstrate the accuracy of these prophesies and why you personally need to understand such things better; is that currently (these last days) you (according to your profile as currently Catholic) know, or pretend to know, more of the Messiah than do the Jews of whom Jesus walked among and was slain.  But you are not Jewish or of the lineage of the house of Israel (any particular tribe).  The question is - will you come to understand the prophesies and be among the Gentiles that restore Israel for when the Messiah will return or will you continue follow a different path and question the prophesies (both ancient and modern) concerning the Last-day?

The Traveler

On 3/3/2021 at 11:31 AM, Traveler said:

The term Gentile is first used in scripture to describe the populations of the world that descended from Noah's son Japheth.

What are the populations of the other 2 sons referred to as?

4 hours ago, Jonah said:

What are the populations of the other 2 sons referred to as?

The first has many references that all mean in essence the same thing but for this purpose of discussion I would suggest "The Children of G-d".  The other also has a number of related terms but most likely the most familiar to students of ancients studies would be "infidels".  I am somewhat surprised you (and in perhaps others) are unfamiliar with such things.  How deeply have you studied ancient theology and scripture?

The Traveler

Edited by Traveler