Questions About Records Being Transferred

Manners Matter

I'm going to be moving and I'm wondering a couple things:

1 - What all is included in the records that are sent to the new unit  (ie how long I was in each ward/branch, what callings I've had, etc)? Basically, what will the new leaders already know about me? I've been curious but have never known.

2 - I'm tired of my current ward clerk knowing my business (he's overstepped at times) and I'd prefer he didn't know where I'm going to be. I know I can reach out to the new ward clerk when I get there and have him request my records but will this make it so the current one is unaware of where I am or is there no way around this? (I know this may seem odd but I want a fresh start and it would feel more like that if I were able to cut ties in the way I prefer). 

1 hour ago, Manners Matter said:

I'm going to be moving and I'm wondering a couple things:

1 - What all is included in the records that are sent to the new unit  (ie how long I was in each ward/branch, what callings I've had, etc)? Basically, what will the new leaders already know about me? I've been curious but have never known.

2 - I'm tired of my current ward clerk knowing my business (he's overstepped at times) and I'd prefer he didn't know where I'm going to be. I know I can reach out to the new ward clerk when I get there and have him request my records but will this make it so the current one is unaware of where I am or is there no way around this? (I know this may seem odd but I want a fresh start and it would feel more like that if I were able to cut ties in the way I prefer). 

I'm confused.

• You said that you want a fresh start. 
  • You say you WANT the old ward to know where you went?

Wouldn't a "fresh start" mean that you DON'T want the old ward to know where you are?  What am I missing?

It seems to me that if you just have the new ward request the records, the old ward will be GONE.  Poof!  Fresh start.

Your record does not contain a history of all your callings.  Your record is basically your vital stats (name, birthdate, etc.) and a list of ordinances that you've received.

Edited by Carborendum

Have you ever during tithing settlement being given a piece of paper with your name, phone number, address, spouse info, children info, and ordinance records and been asked to double check that is it correct?  If you have you have seen your membership record and what it contains. (Barring any active Discipline action going on).

Going to your new ward and having them request your records is the best way, for you not to have to give your current ward clerk any information.  However he is a clerk and part of what he does is "Find members" so if he really wants to he still could find out

8 hours ago, Manners Matter said:

Yes, your new clerk can 'pull' your records, rather than having your old clerk 'push' them.   From the old ward's point of view, your records simply disappear, and the clerk isn't notified.  When clerk's pull in records, they need name and date of birth - I think that's it.  Then they can see the current ward for that name/dob combination.

I'm interested about what you think this guy has done in the past to overstep.   Membership clerks handle private information like divorce information, and who's kids live with who, etc.  And if someone is violating standards of privacy, it's something the bishopric should be made aware of.  This might be a big deal.

Thanks for the replies. 

Sorry if I wasn't clear @Carborendum

@estradling75 - Yes, I've been handed that paper at tithing settlement. Thanks for the explanation.

@NeuroTypical - I don't want to go into what took place and I know I could've reported it but I tried to see it as him being overly concerned/confused instead of no$y. He also has a lot of clout and I just wanted to take the high road and move on though I obviously am being more guarded in regards to him.

On 3/7/2021 at 6:40 PM, Manners Matter said:

Thanks for the replies. 

Sorry if I wasn't clear @Carborendum

@estradling75 - Yes, I've been handed that paper at tithing settlement. Thanks for the explanation.

@NeuroTypical - I don't want to go into what took place and I know I could've reported it but I tried to see it as him being overly concerned/confused instead of no$y. He also has a lot of clout and I just wanted to take the high road and move on though I obviously am being more guarded in regards to him.

Just a thought - which may or may not apply.  There is a difference between a new start and covering up something in one's past.  In essence the difference comes down to the principle of repentance.  Here is a quote from the Bible Dictionary (Study Helps).

The Greek word of which this is the translation denotes a change of mind, a fresh view about God, about oneself, and about the world.

I believe repentance is more than forsaking one's sins - It is about new beginnings - even a new birth or being born again.  I cannot think of a greater quest than that of a new beginning.  Now this is just me thinking - but I have found that moving can help with new beginnings and repentance but it is more important to make personal changes.  And it can help in making personal changes to make changes to one's appearance - especially one's face.  For guys it can be a change in facial hair - for a lady it can be changes in makeup and hair styles.  But sometimes it can be as easy as smiling more and letting happiness shine through.  I am convinced that if changes are not bringing happiness and joy mostly in the long run - that a change for the good has not really taken place.

The Traveler