Passover

mikbone

I have always been interested in the Jewish traditions, especially the ones with which Jesus participated.  

Anyway, last year we held the Passover celebration (albeit with a Latter-Day Saint twist), and it was wonderful.  It is considerably more religious than traditional US celebrations of both Easter and Christmas...

Has anyone else ever tried the same?  It took me quite some time to put together the materials and I'm sure that I made all kinds of mistakes.  Even though I don't think of myself as Jewish, we are of the House of Israel...  And remembering the trials and mistakes of our forefathers plus their redemption is always a good thing.  

Passover this year is March 27 - April 4.  We will celebrate the Seder on Sunday the 28th.  At the very least it does get us ready for General Conference and reminds us of family and Jesus Christ.  The children loved it. 

Passover Instructions.docx

59 minutes ago, mikbone said:

Anyway, last year we held the Passover celebration (albeit with a Latter-Day Saint twist), and it was wonderful. 

Has anyone else ever tried the same? 

Yes.  I'm sure we weren't as detailed as you.  But we got some stuff together with traditional American foods that somewhat mimicked the same symbols.

We used saltines instead of matzo.  Sometimes we use tortillas.  We used celery for the salt thingy.  We, of course, ate lamb.  We have cilantro for the bitter herbs.  I can't remember all the other stuff.  We have it written down somewhere.

So, we make sure to eat each item at the same time.  And we cite what the symbols mean and how we can relate those symbols to LDS history as well.

Edited by Carborendum

@Vort Yeah, I found a huge amount of variation and inconsistencies.  It seems that you can almost make it what you want it to be, and it can be quite lavish or humble.  It reinforces the idea that your thoughts and actions are what make it special.  I like microgreens from the garden (I hate parsley - it's a garnish that I throw off any plate at the first chance), romaine lettuce seems like it is commonly used as well as horseradish root, but I saw some people use potatoes...  Last year we didn't even use a seder plate, we just had the ingredients available and went thru the steps.  

1241177947_paperplate.jpg.686c4d88b310c69afee2c657eaac809e.jpg1804981882_plate1.thumb.jpg.fc61aa9082bac507ee994db3a412f169.jpg1165148991_plate2.thumb.jpg.fc6ab6530b8079668a5c48f33fb90edf.jpg

Edited by mikbone