Bruce R. McConkie’s Legacy.

Phineas

11 hours ago, Carborendum said:

Yes. That's kind of the point.

Morpheus was a character in The Matrix series, mentor to the primary protagonist (Neo).  Neo had gone to see "The Oracle" who told him he was NOT "The One".  It turned out later, that it was a lie.  But because of that lie, Neo went a different route and made different choices than he would have had he been told the truth.

Later, he was confused about the situation because of what the Oracle had told him.  Morpheus told him

This is somewhat like "once you realize you're humble, then you've lost your humility." 

Neo had to believe he was NOT who he was so that he would eventually walk the path to eventually become who he was.

One could even say that it was not a lie.  He wasn't (past tense) The One at the time he saw the Oracle.  But after he had walked a certain path, he became The One.

Good grief - I am more confused now than when we began this little discussion.  But thanks for the explanation anyway.  :dontknow:

The Traveler

7 hours ago, Traveler said:

Good grief - I am more confused now than when we began this little discussion.  But thanks for the explanation anyway.  :dontknow:

You know how you say that because you're dyslexic, you tend to have thought patterns that wind around different paths that are difficult for others to grasp? Now you know what it's like being on the receiving end.

But for what it's worth, I gave as brief a summary as possible which may have omitted key points that would have cleared up the narrative.

Edited by Carborendum

2 hours ago, Carborendum said:

You know how you say that because you're dyslexic, you tend to have thought patterns that wind around different paths that are difficult for others to grasp? Now you know what it's like being on the receiving end.

But for what it's worth, I gave as brief a summary as possible which may have omitted key points that would have cleared up the narrative.

For me - it is not so much what is said but why.  Other wise I cannot connect the dots.  What happens in a movie is not as important to me as your thought process to come to a conclusion.  I do realize that 99% of the time that I do not understand something is because of me.  When I do not understand - please realize I am not trying to blame you or infer you are wrong.  It is just me struggling with the sense of it.  Often I do not finish watching a movie because I cannot connect with the logic but it is also worse for me when the spoken lines become so obvious I can say the lines before the actors.  I do enjoy stories that have "surprises" that come about because key clues are over looked.  A good example was the movie "6th Sense".  There is something exciting about thinking one thing and discovering that I made a mistake and something else more important is happening.   I had to watch the "6th Sense" again to make the connections between the dots.

For the record - I find your post quite interesting.  I regret that we communicate exclusively over the internet.  Someday I would not mind drilling deep into your ideas to uncover "things" I have missed.  Hopefully this does not offend you.

The Traveler

2 hours ago, Traveler said:

I do enjoy stories that have "surprises" that come about because key clues are over looked.  A good example was the movie "6th Sense".  There is something exciting about thinking one thing and discovering that I made a mistake and something else more important is happening.   I had to watch the "6th Sense" again to make the connections between the dots.

I finally got it when the play was happening.  Bruce Willis' character was standing in the aisle instead of sitting in a seat.  

I noticed that the theater had those seats that automatically popped back up.  So, I envisioned him sitting in the seat and forcing it down.  Then I realized that all the other seats he sat in were permanently down.  He wasn't sitting in the theater because he couldn't sit down in those seats.

Edited by Carborendum

2 minutes ago, Carborendum said:
2 hours ago, Traveler said:

I do enjoy stories that have "surprises" that come about because key clues are over looked.  A good example was the movie "6th Sense".  There is something exciting about thinking one thing and discovering that I made a mistake and something else more important is happening.   I had to watch the "6th Sense" again to make the connections between the dots.

I finally got it when the play was happening.  Bruce Willis' character was standing in the aisle instead of sitting in a seat.  

I noticed that the theater had those seats that automatically popped back up.  So, I envisioned him sitting in the seat and forcing it down.  Then I realized that all the other seats he sat in were permanently down.  He wasn't sitting in the theater because he couldn't sit down in those seats.

Not me. I was blissfully unaware until the big reveal, so it had full effect on me. One of my favorite movies, not something I would generally say about a Bruce Willis flick.

On 3/18/2021 at 9:30 AM, Traveler said:

I do enjoy stories that have "surprises" that come about because key clues are over looked. A good example was the movie "6th Sense". There is something exciting about thinking one thing and discovering that I made a mistake and something else more important is happening. I had to watch the "6th Sense" again to make the connections between the dots.

On 3/18/2021 at 12:27 PM, Carborendum said:

On 3/18/2021 at 12:30 PM, Vort said:

Not me. I was blissfully unaware until the big reveal, so it had full effect on me.

I heard the big reveal very clearly implied in a radio commercial before ever seeing the movie (it was probably at least a year or two after the show had been released). It was annoying.

Edited by SilentOne