President Nelson

Phineas

Rating President Nelson’s Presidency  

7 members have voted

1. 1. What grade would you give President Nelson?

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

I hope I’m not being too blasphemous by posting this poll.  I apologize if I am. I give him an A.

I just want to say how impressed I have been with President Nelson so far.  To be honest he was never one of my favorite apostles.  I never paid much attention to his talks.  But ever since the mantle of President of the Church fell upon him, he’s transformed before my eyes.  Here’s some things about his presidency I’ve loved:

Two-hour church

Home-centered church (providentially not long before COVID).

Emphasis on seeking out our own personal revelation.

Undoing the controversial policy concerning children of same-sex  couples.

His social media statement responding to the George Floyd killing and subsequent riots.  I liked how he condemned both racism as well as the rioting.

His call for a world-wide fast for relief from the pandemic.

His social media message on gratitude and his prayer for all of us.

Setting an example by wearing a mask during conference.

Getting the COVID vaccine and promoting it as a medical miracle.  I believe the quick production of the vaccine was part of the answer to the world-wide fast.

His talk on letting God prevail was great.  

There’s more I could probably think of but that should suffice for now.

I would also give President Nelson an “A”; especially for his careful husbanding of Chirch resources in the face of grabby post-millennials who want to spend it all now on the latest fashionable secularist cause du jour, his continuing the construction of temples fit for the worship of our God, his refusal to be browbeaten by the OrdainWomen gang, and his sending Elder Johnson to restore order at BYU last year after the reprobates at the Honor Code Office tried to legitimize homosexual conduct.

I also appreciated his ministry as an apostle; especially his warning that God’s love is to some degree conditional on our own love for Him, and his fearless affirmation that the policy re children of same-sex couples was indeed borne of revelation that was appropriate to its time and place.

But of course, the material point isn’t the grade that we would give the prophet; it’s the grade that God would give the prophet.

Edited by Just_A_Guy

9 hours ago, Phineas said:

I hope I’m not being too blasphemous by posting this poll.

Not exactly.  But in that same direction, yes.

I apologize if I am.

Well that makes it all better, now, doesn't it?

Phineas, first let me apologize if that sounded too harsh to you.  But it seems that you are very young in age as well as in the gospel.  You may have been raised as a member of the Church. But what exactly were you taught by your parents?  Did they teach you that this was acceptable?

Consider for a moment that this poll is essentially asking us to judge our prophet on how good a job he's doing.  That's not our place.  The Lord has called him.  And the Lord will judge him.

Edited by Carborendum

10 hours ago, Carborendum said:

Not exactly.  But in that same direction, yes.

Well that makes it all better, now, doesn't it?

Phineas, first let me apologize if that sounded too harsh to you.  But it seems that you are very young in age as well as in the gospel.  You may have been raised as a member of the Church. But what exactly were you taught by your parents?  Did they teach you that this was acceptable?

Consider for a moment that this poll is essentially asking us to judge our prophet on how good a job he's doing.  That's not our place.  The Lord has called him.  And the Lord will judge him.

You’re absolutely right.  

8 minutes ago, Phineas said:

I might give Brigham Young a lower grade for that blasted priesthood ban.

President Hinckley imposed a similar priesthood ban against a different ethnic group—one that remains in effect to this day.  Does he get docked, too?

Edited by Just_A_Guy

11 minutes ago, Phineas said:
14 hours ago, Fether said:

Is there a Prophet you would give anything less than an A?

I might give Brigham Young a lower grade for that blasted priesthood ban.

I'm appalled. But I'm not shocked.

7 minutes ago, Phineas said:

I don’t believe I am familiar with this priesthood ban of which you speak.

Can a Jew in the spirit world who was killed in a Nazi death camp and has no descendants alive today, be posthumously baptized?  Ordained to the priesthood?  Receive temple ordinances?

No.

And it’s because of a policy initially promulgated (if memory serves) by President Hinckley.

It is a race-based priesthood and temple ban that is affecting millions of people today.

Edited by Just_A_Guy

Just now, Just_A_Guy said:

Can a Jew in the spirit world who was killed in a Nazi death camp and has no descendants alive today, be posthumously baptized?  Ordained to the priesthood?  Receive temple ordinances?

Oh, but that's different. Because, you know, race. Or skin color. Or because my friends all think Brigham Young was a bad guy. Something like that.

7 minutes ago, Phineas said:

I suppose not.  

Right.  And as I suggest above—it causes real pain and suffering (as did the one instituted by President Young).

But that doesn’t mean that either ban is unwarranted, or could not have been divinely instituted/sanctioned.  The modern policy is a reaction to particularized needs and social conditions; and the net effect is that a policy that puts the needs of the few on the back burner for a while, winds up serving the needs of the greater whole and allowing the Gospel work to move forward. 

We need to be really, really careful about overlaying modern motives, mores, and situational needs onto actions of individuals (and deities) that happened decades or centuries ago.  As has been said, “the past is a different country; they do things differently there.”

Edited by Just_A_Guy

1 hour ago, mirkwood said:

Interesting poll.  I am surprised to see it on this forum.  I usually only see such polls/questions on sites filled with apostates and wolves in sheep's clothing.

No @Phineas I am not accusing you of anything, just making an observation.

I really just wanted to express how pleasantly surprised I am with President Nelson.  It’s just been fascinating watching him do all the things he’s been doing at his age.  The poll was more of a rhetorical question I guess.