Apostle or GA in trouble??

NeedleinA

3 hours ago, estradling75 said:

So...

No Laws were broken.

No Church Rules were broken.

It had an appearance of Rule breaking, when it wasn't.   That means the Rules need refinement / clearer guidance given.

If it was indeed Sister Uchtdorf then a Church rule was broken.

The church issued a policy in 2011 against donations by senior, full-time church leaders. It states:

“General Authorities and general officers of the church and their spouses and other ecclesiastical leaders serving full-time should not personally participate in political campaigns, including promoting candidates, fundraising, speaking in behalf of or otherwise endorsing candidates and making financial contributions,”

But if Elder Uchtdorf has some other family member managing this account (he doesn't say who the family member is) then arguably no rule was broken, but only technically so.

Just a thought.  This is a forum dedicated to people who love the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints?

Right?

Many of the comments in this thread are absolutely the type of comments I'd expect from an anti-mormon forum.

Talking trash about an Apostle or his relationship with his spouse and family in the way it is occurring in this thread is NOT something I appreciate.  Just putting that out there.

PS: Not all are talking trash about the apostle, but enough that it is disturbing enough.

Edited by JohnsonJones

If you feel some posts violate the rules please report them.

Mods are human sometimes we miss things.   I see people mocking and challenging the idea that share accounts are "relics"... I see it doing a thread drift to beds.

The closest I see to any kind of attack is that "Maybe,"  "Possibly," Sister Uchtdorf broke the rule  (But that is the Trib's source making an assumption aka "relics").  If we accept that our leaders are human, then we have to accept their spouses (and family members) are too.  In this case it seems that it is being corrected (whatever it really was).

19 minutes ago, JohnsonJones said:

Many of the comments in this thread...

Talking trash about an Apostle or his relationship

Are you referring to the debate about mattress preferences?
Otherwise... where is the trash talking at?

Please do share.

There are many more questions that *could* be asked here.  If neither Elder nor Sister Uchtdorf were behind the donations, then . . .

—Are either of his kids (Guido Uchtdorf and/or Antje Evans) really so naive that they didn’t understand they were making multiple political donations in their father’s name, rather than their own?

—If not—why didn’t they make the donations in their own name?  Is he/she a non-citizen and thus ineligible to donate?  Or a citizen who had already maxed out his/her own individual donation limits and wanted to give more?  (Either scenario could expose the offender to federal money-laundering charges, which is what Dinesh D’Souza went to prison for.)  

—Or was the donor deliberately trying to lend their father’s authority and status to their own pet political causes?

I don’t expect answers to any of this, naturally.  And frankly, it’s not really any of my business.   It’s just . . . intriguing.  

Edited by Just_A_Guy

4 minutes ago, NeedleinA said:

Are you referring to the debate about mattress preferences?
Otherwise... where is the trash talking at?

Sometimes he reads only every other or third sentence and then forms an interpretation of what was actually said -- which he then finds objectionable.  Then I'm left scratching my head wondering "How on earth did he get that from what I said?"

6 minutes ago, Just_A_Guy said:

There are many more questions that *could* be asked here.  If neither Elder nor Sister Uchtdorf were behind the donations, then . . .

Sure we could ask these questions.  But does it really matter?  You indicated that some of these actions could have been cause for "money-laundering".  But according to the ever-trustworthy journalistic skills of the SLT

...he did not break the law, according to an election expert.

So, HE didn't.  But someone else might have?  Meh...

“I would not expect anything to come of this, particularly because the donation amounts are small and because this circumstance of shared family accounts has become more commonplace in the era of small online political donations... likely resolution will be limited to the recipient campaigns filing amendments to their public disclosure reports to reflect the real donor’s identity.”

So, even if a law was broken, it is basically a paperwork solution rather than prison time.  D'Souza's crime was apparently that he donated too much.  And the prosecution of said crime was basically politically motivated.  Others do the same thing and get a fine or stiff warning.  But ... well ... you get the idea.

“These donations were made by our family using an online account, which is shared by our family and associated with my name,”
"The FEC’s website reports 11 donations over a four-and-a-half-month span for a total of $2,086.67 to three candidates, a political action committee and the Democratic National Committee.

Family dinner table:

"Grandson #12 and 14 did what?  Out of what account? For how long?  Get their mother on the phone - time for another chat."

Honestly folks, when heads of world religions decide to take an interest in politics, especially ours, they sure the heck move needles a lot more than two grand of donations spread across five different places.  I'm reading on other websites that people are seriously thinking Pres U took out his checkbook because that sounded like a good idea.  Sort of silly thing to think, if you ask me. 

6 hours ago, Vort said:

FWIW, I don't see Dieter Uchtdorf, an apostle and former member of the First Presidency, disobeying a policy about political contributions. The most likely scenario in my mind is that Sister Uchtdorf gave the contributions, carelessly taking them from a joint account instead of first transferring the money to another account and then donating it. I think it would be wise if the First Presidency specified that no one in the household (meaning the wives of the apostles) give political contributions, either, but that is not the present policy as I understand it.

Political donations aren't listed by the account they are taken from.  They are listed by the name given at the time of donation.

This certainly has me considering things.......

Edited by Grunt

3 hours ago, JohnsonJones said:

Many of the comments in this thread are absolutely the type of comments I'd expect from an anti-mormon forum.

Please report said anti-mormon posts so we can address them as a mod team.

Talking trash about an Apostle or his relationship with his spouse and family in the way it is occurring in this thread is NOT something I appreciate.  Just putting that out there.

Please report said trash talking posts so we can address them as a mod team.

3 hours ago, JohnsonJones said:

Just a thought.  This is a forum dedicated to people who love the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints?

Right?

PS: Not all are talking trash about the apostle, but enough that it is disturbing enough.

I don't see anyone talking trash about apostles.  You must be reading a different thread than I am.

7 hours ago, NeedleinA said:

We've had a King or California King our entire marriage, it has been a blessing.

A King in California in a land where the Book of Mormon says that no King will ever reign? America must be changing more than I realized. 

Isn't life interesting.  I am a hard sleeper and can sleep anywhere and it is almost impossible to wake me.  I have no problem falling asleep and after prayers I am almost always asleep before my wife turns out her light.   My wife thinks the house could burn down with all the alarms sounding and I would never know.  I also do not sleep with an alarm - never have.

As for money - I do not like money.  My wife handles all the finances.  I have no idea what is in any account.  We have several accounts, mostly for various businesses.  I can sign on any account because often I have to purchase something for one account or another.  Usually when I have to purchase I seldom consider the cost - I consider quality .  As for clothes - the wife does not trust me to purchase anything.  I have no fashion sense.  I do not like things much more than money.  The only things I care about are my cycling and skiing equipment.  I do believe that everything should be organized because I cannot find tools or other needed things unless they are put back where they belong.  I do not care if someone borrows something except that it never gets put back where it belongs.  I am quite use to things not being where they belong.  And I have not figured out yet why my wife loves to change where things go in the kitchen.  Maybe it is just her sense of getting even humor.

The wife is very certain that I am the strange one in our marriage.  If being logical is strange (and I am convinced that most find logic strange) then I am indeed the most strange one.  I thank my lucky stars I married someone that can love me despite my strangeness.  I have great difficulty arguing with my wife.  Logic is not so important to her and I have no idea how to deal with her tears.  She is far more important to me than anything I would argue about so there is no logic in arguing anyway - so she basically gets her way.  But she is so dedicated to kindness she cannot take advantage of anything.  I figure that she deserves much more than she is willing to take.  We are somehow perfect for each other.

However any marriage works - I believe it ought to be celebrated.   Whatever any of you do to work it out - I believe you all deserve credit - at least one of you in your marriage does.  If a marriage does not work out - I am sorry for both - especially those that are not loyal to their covenants.  My only advice for any marriage is to live every minute and second with complete loyalty - both to G-d and you spouse and always be the first to forgive and the first to express your love - both by word and deed.   Everything else does not really matter and that includes unintended mistakes.

And to be honest - I would worry the most concerning those that don't seem to ever make mistakes - especially our local and general Church authorities.  This is because repentance is such an important principle and our leaders should be examples of all important principles.

The Traveler