So... Easter

Ironhold

For those who don't know, I'm the entertainment writer for a series of local newspapers. I do two columns a week, an op/ed and a movie review (et al). 

When it comes to certain major holidays, I try to find ways to mark them. 

In the case of Easter, I try to have both a column marking the day and a review of a faith-based movie (even if it's an older one). 

For the latter, I've got that sorted. Mom wanted to watch "The Cokeville Miracle" some time back, so done and done. 

But for the former...

2020 nearly destroyed me for how I had to parent my parents through the crisis as well as helping pretty much the entire town out. 2021 isn't much better, with a lot of personal issues hitting me as well as the disaster here in Texas. As much as I want to be grateful for what I do have and what I've been able to make it to, I'm just so badly drained from a solid year of drama that I'm having trouble putting thought to paper. 

Anyone else not entirely feeling the Easter spirit this year? 

Except to what seems to be heightened tension and a lot of annoyances going on around me - 2020 was a big nothing burger to me.  Certainly an exercise in futility and overacting.   I have experienced better and certainly much worse.   It did end my little consulting business but then I am far past the best of my profession and time to retire anyway.   I am reminded of a Shakespeare quote: "Nothing is as good or as bad as it seems only that thinking makes it so."

I am convinced that in 2 to 5 years we will look back and realize that as a nation and a world society we created more problems than what we solved through our collective responses.   Especially with the emerging generation.

For me - I would rather live life joyfully and die making a mistake than live for days, months or years in fear.

The Traveler

You could do a write-up on Passover instead of Easter.  

I have been studying Passover and it is a bit more of a religious holiday than the modern-day secular celebration of Easter.  

Passover hits hard on why we have tears of bitterness (2020 COVID, disasters, etc.) and teaches us to remember our hardships so we can relish the blessings that we now have and those that we will be blessed with in the future.  

On 3/19/2021 at 9:12 PM, Ironhold said:

For those who don't know, I'm the entertainment writer for a series of local newspapers. I do two columns a week, an op/ed and a movie review (et al). 

When it comes to certain major holidays, I try to find ways to mark them. 

In the case of Easter, I try to have both a column marking the day and a review of a faith-based movie (even if it's an older one). 

For the latter, I've got that sorted. Mom wanted to watch "The Cokeville Miracle" some time back, so done and done. 

But for the former...

2020 nearly destroyed me for how I had to parent my parents through the crisis as well as helping pretty much the entire town out. 2021 isn't much better, with a lot of personal issues hitting me as well as the disaster here in Texas. As much as I want to be grateful for what I do have and what I've been able to make it to, I'm just so badly drained from a solid year of drama that I'm having trouble putting thought to paper. 

Anyone else not entirely feeling the Easter spirit this year? 

Hi highly recommend this: https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/comeuntochrist/easter-2021

Especially this one for starters: