Emmanuel Goldstein

Boring General Conference

Recommended Posts

Am I the only one feeling bored with the talks so far? It is frustrating to listen without any deep doctrinal teachings being taught. I miss Elder Packer and Maxwell. Also, I think that there are a lot of very serious problems in our world, but it is never discussed. Why?

Maybe it is just me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

General conference is supposed to be relevant for the time, not to please us with deep teachings or things WE think is important... so no, I don't see it as boring but important spiritual instruction/insight

 

However, general conference has barely begun, we'll see what else is in store for us

Edited by Nordic saint
Wrong wording

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They could address the modern slave trade, nothing. They could discuss the corrupt government, nothing. 

I am just needing some answers for a change, not just the same, be nice to your neighbor. Those things are fine, but I need some spiritual support. Maybe it is just my general discouragement and I will find something on my second time through.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Emmanuel Goldstein said:

Am I the only one feeling bored with the talks so far? It is frustrating to listen without any deep doctrinal teachings being taught. I miss Elder Packer and Maxwell. Also, I think that there are a lot of very serious problems in our world, but it is never discussed. Why?

Maybe it is just me.

I really enjoyed the first few talks. Felt inspired on way I could better teach my kids.

I have felt bored during sessions before... this was not one of them for me

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Emmanuel Goldstein said:

They could address the modern slave trade, nothing. They could discuss the corrupt government, nothing. 

I am just needing some answers for a change, not just the same, be nice to your neighbor. Those things are fine, but I need some spiritual support. Maybe it is just my general discouragement and I will find something on my second time through.

Just an observation, maybe you currently have too high of a view of yourself. Maybe you don’t value talks about faith, hope, charity, temples, family, etc. because you feel you are “good enough” and there is no need for future growth.

The talks I find most boring are the talks on topics that I feel I am good enough on. Even excel in. If I humbled myself a little more, I may find more benefit in them

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Fether said:

Just an observation, maybe you currently have too high of a view of yourself. Maybe you don’t value talks about faith, hope, charity, temples, family, etc. because you feel you are “good enough” and there is no need for future growth.

The talks I find most boring are the talks on topics that I feel I am good enough on. Even excel in. If I humbled myself a little more, I may find more benefit in them

I have found that if I am struggling with something that I become bored with anything that does not help me address that issue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Emmanuel Goldstein said:

Elder Holland's talk was what I needed. He is just great. Glad I held in there.

 

16 minutes ago, Emmanuel Goldstein said:

I have found that if I am struggling with something that I become bored with anything that does not help me address that issue.

Which is quite clear haha cause I didn’t relate very well to Holland’s talk.

16 minutes ago, Emmanuel Goldstein said:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Emmanuel Goldstein said:

They could address the modern slave trade, nothing. They could discuss the corrupt government, nothing. 

I am just needing some answers for a change, not just the same, be nice to your neighbor. Those things are fine, but I need some spiritual support. Maybe it is just my general discouragement and I will find something on my second time through.

I am sorry that you are dealing with such problems.   It is very hard to be discouraged.  I know I don't have the answers, but is there anything we can do to help?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One thing I do not love is the unreasonably long prayers.

the person giving the closing prayer in This previous session spoke extremely slow and used as many words as he could to ask for very ordinary blessing and giving thanks.

I am all for spending hours on your knees in personal prayer to wrestle with the spirit, and even thoughtful and drawn out prayers among groups when seeking to overcome and issue. but opening and closing prayers during meetings and conferences should be fervent, specific, and to the point.

This isn’t an opinion either... definitely doctrine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Presidents Oaks talk was loaded with knowledge and direction for these last days. From political affiliation (or the lack of it), being willing to change our political positions as needed, don’t follow a single political leader, and members can vote in different ways at different times and still be faithful Saints.

Most of all no politics at church and make the gospel teachings the center of life, not politics.

If my Facebook feed and Deseret News comment section over the last few years is any indication, this talk just hit a lot of nerves.

Edited by raven2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

President Nelson,

Do all you can to bring Covid numbers down in your area so temples can reopen.

I think the debate on where the church stands on the severity of COVID, mask wearing, vaccines, etc has gotten pretty clear.

How about that moving list of more temples? What a way to end conference.

All I could think of was, “We thank thee oh God for a Prophet to guide us in these later days.”

Edited by raven2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just a note about boredom.   Contrary to popular beliefs (opinions) - it is not the superior mind that is often bored but rather the undisciplined and uninquiring mind.  For example an inferior mind would be quickly bored watching apples fall from a tree - but a superior mind found such events to be the foundation of modern physics.  Some think such is just fables while other wonder - why did it fall?  Boredom is the opposite of curiosity.   Like @Vort I am grateful that our prophets speak as the spirit would utter - but far more grateful when I can hear what the spirit would have me hear.

 

The Traveler

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/4/2021 at 4:27 PM, raven2 said:

Presidents Oaks talk was loaded with knowledge and direction for these last days.

On 4/5/2021 at 9:53 PM, bytebear said:

Sunday's session was pretty heavy on the Constitution, and was surprisingly frank.   I liked it.

Elder Oaks said:

Quote

Reverence for the United States Constitution is so great that sometimes individuals speak as if its every word and phrase had the same standing as scripture. Personally, I have never considered it necessary to defend every line of the Constitution as scriptural. For example, I find nothing scriptural in the compromise on slavery or the minimum age or years of citizenship for congressmen, senators, or the president.

...There is no place in responsible citizenship for dishonesty or deceit or for willful law breaking of any kind.

Sound familiar??
New for these last days?

FYI: The quote above comes from Elders Oaks talk on the Constitution... in the Ensign back in... 1992
This past conference talk he gave was awfully similar to the one he gave 30 years ago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now