I do not think this quote is doctrine is it?

5 hours ago, Still_Small_Voice said:

This is something Brigham Young said that is recorded in the Journal of Discourses:

“In the pre-mortal spirit life Jesus, Lucifer, and all of us were the spirit children of God and His wives” (Journal of Discourses, Volume XI, page 122).

That's the story the missionaries told me.

I believe everything in this Brigham Young quote but I cannot ever remember doctrine on there being multiple Heavenly Mothers.  It was left to silence.

Not everything in the Journal of Discourses is doctrine for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.

"Doctrine" as in "teaching"? Sure, it's a doctrine, like thousands of others, both true and false.

"Doctrine" as in "accepted revelation to the body of Saints"? Not as far as I know.

We have almost no doctrine at all on the heavenly Mother besides the fact that she exists and is in all ways a fitting companion to the heavenly Father. There are very few "official" references to the Mother, and those few that exist seem always to use the singular.

I think such speculation is harmful and ought to be avoided. At the very least, it's embarrassing and casts the Saints in a decidedly negative light. (This is a general comment, not directed at SSV personally.)

I ran into the quote on the Internet by another Christian church talking about the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.  It is a quote that is pulled out of context to make Latter-Day doctrine appear weird and bizarre in my opinion

I notice when many other preachers talk about Latter-Day Saint doctrine they like to call us "Mormon" and do not like to focus on how we place Christ at the center of our faith for redemption and hope in eternal life.

14 hours ago, Still_Small_Voice said:

This is something Brigham Young said that is recorded in the Journal of Discourses:

“In the pre-mortal spirit life Jesus, Lucifer, and all of us were the spirit children of God and His wives” (Journal of Discourses, Volume XI, page 122).

Not an  accepted teaching today, though I know during Brigham Young’s era, it was somewhat understood that plural marriage was a requirement for exaltation.

But is it true? Maybe. we are taught that if we are sealed to multiple women throughout our lives due to death, we would still be sealed to them in the afterlife. We also don’t know the nature of sealings in the celestial kingdom. Why would God not have been subject to similar laws as us?

This is not a doctrine I would teach. I give room for it to be possible, but I wouldn’t teach it.

Edited by Fether