The Duke of Edinburgh

Jamie123

We all knew it was coming. He was 99 after all, but it still feels like a shock. The Queen and Prince Philip have been part of the bedrock of this country for so long now, it feels so strange one of them has gone.

Plus I liked him. He was a funny guy.

They say that when one goes, the other follows soon after. After that...King Charles III? That WILL take some getting used to!

Anyway, rest in peace Philip. And sympathy to Her Majesty and all the family.

I have never been one of those Americans that harbo(u)rs a secret (or open) fascination with British royalty, but I did note the passing of the Queen's husband with regret for the family. It seems as though the very lives of the "royals" are defined from birth by their public roles. I respect those in that situation who recognize and choose to embrace their roles despite personal cost. That seems to be the path taken by the Queen and her consort. I honor them for their efforts.

Wait - the Queen's husband has been alive all this time?  How come he's not king?

I'm now in my 5th decade of sort of half-watching news reports about how the queen is old.  That's about all I know about the British royal family.

Well, that, and Princess Di died the same week as Mother Theresa.  I only know that because it's fun to point it out and watch people re-think their priorities about who should be paid attention to.

5 hours ago, Jamie123 said:

We all knew it was coming.

Who? 

1 minute ago, NeuroTypical said:

Wait - the Queen's husband has been alive all this time?  How come he's not king?

My exact thoughts haha

35 minutes ago, NeuroTypical said:

Because he was not in line to the throne. (Well he was, but about 70th or something like that.) Parliament could in theory have been made him "king consort" but that's very rare. The only time it happened was in the 16th Century when Mary I married Philip of Spain, but that was because he was already heir to the Spanish throne. (Also William of Orange, husband of Mary II was crowned as William III, but that was more for overthrowing Mary's father, the very unpopular James II than for being the new queen's husband.) Queen Victoria wanted her husband Prince Albert to be king, but parliament refused it. Generally speaking being married to a queen only makes you a prince, not a king. (And it's not automatic either.)

Edited by Jamie123

5 hours ago, Jamie123 said:

Because he was not in line to the throne. (Well he was, but about 70th or something like that.) Parliament could in theory have been made him "king consort" but that's very rare. The only time it happened was in the 16th Century when Mary I married Philip of Spain, but that was because he was already heir to the Spanish throne. (Also William of Orange, husband of Mary II was crowned as William III, but that was more for overthrowing Mary's father, the very unpopular James II than for being the new queen's husband.) Queen Victoria wanted her husband Prince Albert to be king, but parliament refused it. Generally speaking being married to a queen only makes you a prince, not a king. (And it's not automatic either.)

Parliament read the story of Amalickiah in the Book of Mormon and decided it wasn’t a good idea to just let any schmuck who married a queen, become the king.  

40 minutes ago, Just_A_Guy said:

Parliament read the story of Amalickiah in the Book of Mormon and decided it wasn’t a good idea to just let any schmuck who married a queen, become the king.  

The prior revolt in Ireland he created after losing the election didn’t help his case much