RIP D Michael Quinn

MrShorty

I'm seeing reports today that long time student of Church history D Michael Quinn has passed away. Sorry about the Trib link, but that is the only new outlet so far that seems to have published something. The link can be replaced with a link to some other news outlet if/when a more acceptable source can be found.

https://www.sltrib.com/religion/2021/04/22/historian-d-micheal-quinn/

8 hours ago, MrShorty said:

I'm seeing reports today that long time student of Church history D Michael Quinn has passed away. Sorry about the Trib link, but that is the only new outlet so far that seems to have published something. The link can be replaced with a link to some other news outlet if/when a more acceptable source can be found.

https://www.sltrib.com/religion/2021/04/22/historian-d-micheal-quinn/

Quinn marched to his own drumbeat, for sure.  

I hope he finds peace.

On 4/23/2021 at 6:12 AM, Just_A_Guy said:

Quinn marched to his own drumbeat, for sure.  

I hope he finds peace.

I originally had a lot of sympathy for Quinn. After reading about many of his dealings, especially regarding Boyd K. Packer, my sympathy largely evaporated. I hope his demons have been quieted, but I do not now believe that Quinn was the honest searcher after truth that I originally took him to be.

2 hours ago, Vort said:

I originally had a lot of sympathy for Quinn. After reading about many of his dealings, especially regarding Boyd K. Packer, my sympathy largely evaporated. I hope his demons have been quieted, but I do not now believe that Quinn was the honest searcher after truth that I originally took him to be.

I’d be interested in a reference for the Elder Packer business.  I frankly have some problems with Quinn for the way he acted like he was a martyr to intellectual freedom when there were more prosaic issues underlying his excommunication;  but it would probably be somewhat churlish of me to go into much more detail at a time like this . . .