Who gets the most (or least) attention on Mother's Day?

Backroads

Whilst surfing the interweb for Mother's Day gift ideas, I stumbled down a rabbit hole of people complaining about the holiday.

Specifically: younger mothers unable to enjoy the holiday as they work to make a good day for their own mothers/mothers-in-law. Grandmothers feeling left out of the hub-bub. Single dads feeling short-changed. So on and so forth.

Who, precisely, should be celebrated on this day?

5 hours ago, Backroads said:

Whilst surfing the interweb for Mother's Day gift ideas, I stumbled down a rabbit hole of people complaining about the holiday.

Specifically: younger mothers unable to enjoy the holiday as they work to make a good day for their own mothers/mothers-in-law. Grandmothers feeling left out of the hub-bub. Single dads feeling short-changed. So on and so forth.

Who, precisely, should be celebrated on this day?

You celebrate your mom.

I don't have a mom anymore.  But my wife does.  Because we live in a different state we send a gift through the mail and have a phone call.

At home, we celebrate my wife because there are lots of kids at home.

• It would be nice if your husband (as a big part of celebrating you, he might do things to help out with the celebration for your mom.
  • You could alternate years.  You celebrate your mom one year.  Then you stay home the next and just phone in your well wishes.  Let her know you still love her, but you can blame your husband who wanted to do something special at home for YOU.

I remember one Mother's Day when I called on all the adult men in the extended family to put on the celebration and make the dinner and handle all the arrangements as we gathered at Grandma & Grandpa's home.  When we got there, one of the other guys lent a hand for about 5 minutes.  All the others brought a gift and left it on the counter.

That left me doing all the work to get everything done for the entire extended family.

I crashed in bed about an hour early that night.  My wife and MIL were both very grateful.  But I swore never to do that again.

So, ever since, all the mothers have gotten together to put everything together.  At least it isn't just a one-person-show.  They all still appreciated that one year.  But they don't expect me to ever do that again all by myself = I'll never do it again, ever.

What the freak is wrong with men today?  Can't they do some domestic stuff to take the load off of their own wives for just one day a year?  No? And in all other aspects, these men have nothing but my utmost respect.  But they simply refused to do anything meaningful even after agreeing to the plan.  Yeah, I still hold just a tiny bit of resentment about it, now that I've been reminded of it.  Thanks.

Edited by Carborendum