Commercial Racism

Carborendum

11 minutes ago, Traveler said:

assume that you like the direction things are headed and will applaud what comes next

missed this. 

For the most part, yes, I’m optimistic about the future. Just google “Why things are getting better.”

https://www.cato.org/commentary/things-are-getting-better-really-they-are

Now, theologically I accept that we’re living in end times. But I just can’t make my mind disregard all the progress we’ve made. 

Edited by LDSGator

5 minutes ago, LDSGator said:

missed this. 

For the most part, yes, I’m optimistic about the future. Just google “Why things are getting better. 

https://www.cato.org/commentary/things-are-getting-better-really-they-are

Now, theologically I accept that we’re living in end times. But I just can’t make my mind disregard all the progress we’ve made. 

You are correct as am I.  "These are best of times and these are the worst of times".  Just in the last year, the field of my employment (artificial intelligence) from which I am now retired, has made astonishing and unforeseen advances.  It is also interesting to me that historically war and preparations for war have been amazing engines for technical advancements.   But even this has been overshadowed by advances in science and technology since WWII.  The changes in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is obviously relevant to our discussion - especially the admonition to love those, especially those contrary to our teachings.  But I must admit love (even as you have attempted to describe to me) is an ambiguous term that I personally find great difficulty translating into my behaviors and actions towards others.  Not that I disagree in love - only that it does not translate well into action which tells me that I do not understand what your and other are inferring. 

I also agree that racism (the focus of this thread) has made advances, mostly in those that have become educated through personal involvement with multiple races.   At the same time, it seems that some using the term of racism have become even more tribal.  I do not believe that our country has not been so divided since the Civil War.   And as we speak of war, especially as mentioned in your referenced article) in two weeks the terror of war has reached a point of human loss that many claim has not been seen since WWII.  I personally believe that the war in Ukraine could have and should have been avoided had just those that cast political ballots in our country been more aware of political trends on a national and global scale.  

Speaking of the Ukraine war - it is interesting to me how close to the ancient land of Gog the country of Ukraine is located.  Which BTW is where Biblical prophesy indicates will be the beginning of the final conflict.  I thought that I would throw than in for anyone interested in Biblical symbology possibilities versed literal interpretations. 

The Traveler

15 hours ago, LDSGator said:

I guess that people get to a point in their lives when all they do is say things like this. Music, television, video games-They all were better back when I was younger! Kids today! Grumble grumble. 

As an entertainment writer, I have to interject here. 

The sad, simple truth of the matter is that one can readily point to numerous examples where the entertainment industry is at a creative nadir right now. 

For example, it used to be that most major US comic book companies - Marvel, DC, Archie, and so on - had an organized system. You started out at the bottom, working on backup stories in larger books, filler issues, and so on. Once you proved yourself, you'd get more important assignments. If you hung around long enough and showed the higher-ups you were just that dependable, you could get a spot on a major title.

Nowadays, however, that organized system has been all but scrapped, with many editors assigning people to projects based on factors unrelated to the experience or competence. In fact, industry veteran Christopher Priest once claimed that he left the majors for B-list publisher Dynamite because of racism; as he himself is black, many editors at these companies were only offering him positions writing black characters, the result of an obsessive focus on "authenticity" in the "voices" behind the characters. Essentially, Priest claimed that these editors would only assign people to projects if they were "just like" the characters they were working on, functionally creating ghettoes within the companies based on race, gender, and LGBT status. 

Couple this with nepotism being rampant in the industry and an "us vs. them" mindset that has pushed the industry to the verge of civil war, and the best & brightest in the industry are now struggling to make it big in the indies while most of the major publishing houses have to aspire to mediocrity for how terrible their people are. 

This has led to large numbers of comic book fans abandoning the major US publishers in whole or in part, and instead either going to indie houses or going to foreign titles, leaving even legacy superheroes with books who are shipping at numbers so low they'd have been cancelled back in the 1990s. 

29 minutes ago, Ironhold said:

The sad, simple truth of the matter is that one can readily point to numerous examples where the entertainment industry is at a creative nadir right now

Yeah, I totally disagree. 

I’ll take two of my biggest passions. Heavy metal and horror novels. 

Looking at heavy metal music, the rise of neo-classical metal is the perfect homage to classic metal while providing fresh blood to the genre. Night Demon, Visigoth and many others prove this point. Same with horror novels. Many new young writers have taken older cliches to new levels. Like Mexican Gothic writer Silvia Garcia or Stephen Graham Jones masterpiece “The Only Good Indians.” 

I can say nothing about movies and scripted television, simply because I don’t watch any of it. 

It comes down to perspective. If you (generic) are looking for evidence of a creative void, you'll find it. But if you are open to finding outstanding and fresh music, movies, etc you’ll find them too. That might be the key issue. People get to a certain age and just stop seeking out new media. 

Edited by LDSGator

10 minutes ago, LDSGator said:

Way more complex than that. 

I’ll take two of my biggest passions. Heavy metal and horror novels. 

Looking at heavy metal music, the rise of neo-classical metal is the perfect homage to classic metal while providing fresh blood to the genre. Night Demon, Visigoth and many others prove this point. Same with horror novels. Many new young writers have taken older cliches to new levels. Like Mexican Gothic writer Silvia Garcia or Stephen Graham Jones masterpiece “The Only Good Indians.” 

I can say nothing about movies and scripted television, simply because I don’t watch any of it. 

It comes down to perspective. If you (generic) are looking for evidence of a creative void, you'll find it. But if you are open to finding outstanding and fresh music, movies, etc you’ll find them too. That might be the key issue. People get to a certain age and just stop seeking out new media. 

I'm a "rogue" entertainment writer, in that I operate on my own rather than follow the official narratives from Hollywood. Because of this, I have seen behind the curtain, and know that the wizard is but a mortal man with smoke and mirrors. 

As much as I would like to focus on highlighting the good within entertainment today (such as Kenneth Branaugh's "Poirot" movies, which have kept the spirit of the novels while adapting them for modern audiences), I also know that I - and others - must hold the industry to account if we wish to get rid of the bad within the industry (such as the editors at Marvel and DC who are functionally re-introducing segregation). 

A big part of this is admitting that yes, there are sectors within the broader entertainment industry where things have largely taken a few steps backwards and pushing for reform. 

1 minute ago, Ironhold said:

I'm a "rogue" entertainment writer, in that I operate on my own rather than follow the official narratives from Hollywood. Because of this, I have seen behind the curtain, and know that the wizard is but a mortal man with smoke and mirrors. 

As much as I would like to focus on highlighting the good within entertainment today (such as Kenneth Branaugh's "Poirot" movies, which have kept the spirit of the novels while adapting them for modern audiences), I also know that I - and others - must hold the industry to account if we wish to get rid of the bad within the industry (such as the editors at Marvel and DC who are functionally re-introducing segregation). 

A big part of this is admitting that yes, there are sectors within the broader entertainment industry where things have largely taken a few steps backwards and pushing for reform. 

Whatever works for you. And I mean without being snarky or rude. Maybe one day I’ll get to the point where I dislike everything new. But, maybe I won’t.

I think I was 100% correct when I said people just get to a point where they rely too much on nostalgia for entertainment. If it works for them, that’s totally fine with me. 

On 3/10/2022 at 11:20 AM, Ironhold said:

I am not a Hollywood type but I have been present at photo shoots (science consultant) and much of what I observed was very disturbing.  Most disturbing was watching actors get into character - especially a dark character.   The best I could to describe such would be the observation of a demonic possession.  I was also confounded with a number of Hollywood's bad or anti religious actors that off set were often the kindest and most compassionate while the more popular seemingly religious are unbelievable cruel jerks off set.  I do not think I could trust a professional actor in a serious relationship.

In college I was in a folk singing group - we had an offer to record professionally.  Myself and the other return missionaries did not want to pursue entertainment professionally beyond helping pay for college.  There are just too many negatives with just about everything in the entertainment industry.  It is in part why I believe that even good LDS seem to have all kinds of problems pursuing entertainment as a career.  So much so that if I am ever asked - I recommend other means of making a living.

The Traveler

On 3/10/2022 at 11:24 AM, LDSGator said:

I think I was 100% correct when I said people just get to a point where they rely too much on nostalgia for entertainment. If it works for them, that’s totally fine with me. 

Disliking something new isn't relying on nostalgia.  I don't like a lot of the new metal bands, though I appreciate the attempt to return that sound to the 80's vibe.  That doesn't make me (or anyone else who sees it the same) as reliant on nostalgia.  Just a different taste.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/9/2022 at 4:10 AM, LDSGator said:
On 3/9/2022 at 4:10 AM, LDSGator said:
On 3/10/2022 at 3:44 AM, LDSGator said:

To be fair, our system isn’t perfect but it’s one of the best legal systems out there. The best in this world, really. 

The prosecutors basically gave Puljos a slap on the wrist because they knew prosecuting him for “killing” a racist sex offender wouldn’t further their careers if they decided to run for higher office.

I'm a bit puzzled as to how one person can simultaneously hold the same beliefs^^. Administering justice on the basis of political expediency, at first glance, doesn't appear to be a hallmark of a great legal system. 

3 hours ago, askandanswer said:

I'm a bit puzzled as to how one person can simultaneously hold the same beliefs^^. Administering justice on the basis of political expediency, at first glance, doesn't appear to be a hallmark of a great legal system. 

Totally fair of you to say that. Sadly, our justice system isn't perfect, and yes, sometimes humans put their own selfish desires before the law and the right thing. 

However, you should remember to look at the 99% of cases that don’t work like this. Sample size matters.