Sanctuary of the Church

Why is it that every other religion treats the sanctuary of their church as a sacred place for silent reflection and worship? But we treat ours as a social hall to catch up on how each others lives are going? Honestly, I want to come to church and be spiritually recharged, not listen to noisy chit-chat. If people want to catch up they should do it in the foyer.

1 hour ago, Emmanuel Goldstein said:

Why is it that every other religion treats the sanctuary of their church as a sacred place for silent reflection and worship? But we treat ours as a social hall to catch up on how each others lives are going? Honestly, I want to come to church and be spiritually recharged, not listen to noisy chit-chat. If people want to catch up they should do it in the foyer.

Said every bishop ever in existence...

I would also argue that the  majority of other religions treat their service areas as social halls unless it has the appearance of a holy place (ie magnificent pillars reaching to the ceiling, stone walls, massive statue of Christ on the cross, pane glass murals etc.) From what I have seen, it has less to do with what we call it and more to do with what it looks like. Admittedly, sacrament halls don’t appear all that holy.

I would also add that having children makes it hard to have that “ideal” atmosphere.

lastly, I would ask how much do others affect your experience? Could your frustration be more damaging to your experience than bro jones talking about yesterday’s bbq?

Notwithstanding... we should treat it as a holy place.

39 minutes ago, Fether said:

I would also add that having children makes it hard to have that “ideal” atmosphere.

lastly, I would ask how much do others affect your experience? Could your frustration be more damaging to your experience than bro jones talking about yesterday’s bbq?

Notwithstanding... we should treat it as a holy place.

The sound of crying children don't bother me at all. And, Brother Jones should have invited me too. Blast that Brother Jones, he is just so arrogant. Arrgg!

3 hours ago, Emmanuel Goldstein said:

I find that vast vast majority of other churches don’t treat their worship place as quiet reflection. Rather a place for joyful/loud worship, fellowship, and loud singing (frequently in the form of a rock conference). 

6 hours ago, Emmanuel Goldstein said:

A Catholic convert, my wife says the same thing.

2 hours ago, Jane_Doe said:

I find that vast vast majority of other churches don’t treat their worship place as quiet reflection. Rather a place for joyful/loud worship, fellowship, and loud singing (frequently in the form of a rock conference). 

On the other hand, these might describe Charismatic Catholics.

This and last week's CFM lessons were all about proper spiritual manifestations, and reverence in my opinion is a spiritual manifestation.

For my previous bishop this was the constant dilemma he faced: increased reverence vs fostering ward unity, which like it or not often happens before and after sacrament mtg. Then the stake encouraged bishoprics to be on the stand to set the mood but there was always people coming in who either hadn't been there for a while or something and so the bishop would leave the stand to welcome them and so it just never really worked out.

8 hours ago, laronius said:

For my previous bishop this was the constant dilemma he faced: increased reverence vs fostering ward unity, which like it or not often happens before and after sacrament mtg. Then the stake encouraged bishoprics to be on the stand to set the mood but there was always people coming in who either hadn't been there for a while or something and so the bishop would leave the stand to welcome them and so it just never really worked out.

I’ll be honest... I actually value that socializing prior to sacrament meeting and the ability to welcome guests and members above the apparent need to be reverent.

Im not willing to admit that I’d the way it ought to be... but that is just how I value it

4 hours ago, Fether said:

I’ll be honest... I actually value that socializing prior to sacrament meeting and the ability to welcome guests and members above the apparent need to be reverent.

Im not willing to admit that I’d the way it ought to be... but that is just how I value it

I remember as a kid the chapel being a lot more reverent than it is now. Welcoming new people etc. can be done in the foyer, but once someone comes into the chapel they should quite down and be respectful of the reverent atmosphere that should be there.

It is my personal opinion that a lot of Pagan worship practices crept into the communal worship services of the early church - likewise much of the thoughts of worship from the great Apostasy has crept into our Latter-day restoration worship services.  

I do not believe that Christ is disappointed in the efforts of Saints to reconnect each Sunday as we gather together to share our spiritual gifts and worship together.  Granted our voices ought to be subdued and reverent but I disagree that our joy of being united with the Saints of G-ds should be confined to total silence.   I believe we ought to show signs and expressions of welcome and greetings to our fellow Saints.

And yet I do believe in discretions that we are in the presents of divinity - especially as we begin our meetings.  We ought to focus our thoughts and prayers on Christ centered themes and be prepared for pray at the onset of our worship.  I am much more concerned with the use of cell phones that divert attentions from Christ - during our worship services and especially during the sacred events that surround the covenant and ordinance of the sacrament (blessing and distribution of the bread and water).  I realize that from time to time a cellphone may not be silenced and cause a person embarrassment - but such is not near the problem as is the checking of email, and other social mediums - heaven forbid that such is for the amusement of gaming.  It is not my concern what focus others employ beyond that I am quite sure that they are missing out on greater things of more spiritual importance.  

The Traveler

On 5/9/2021 at 1:21 PM, Emmanuel Goldstein said:

And, Brother Jones should have invited me too. Blast that Brother Jones, he is just so arrogant. Arrgg!

You were lucky that you didn't get invited. Blast that Brother Jones and his "bbq". It was just grilled hamburgers and hot dogs. Arrgg!

There is a point in some services (Catholic) though I'm not sure if it is in all Christian Churches of the Protestants, where during the service you are told to socialize (to a very limited degree).  You greet the person to your left and to your right, those around you. 

This is something that is not done in the Church (Latter-day Saints) and so in some ways, instead there are those that greet others in the chapel before the meeting even begins.  In some ways it is a similar type idea, though not ritualized like it in other faiths.

I think that there is the hope that such greetings would go on in the Foyer or other locations of the Church rather than the Chapel.  We have various rules for the chapel (no filming...well...at least until recently with Zoom and such) of reverence and contemplation, but it can be difficult for people to do so at times. 

Edited by JohnsonJones

On 5/9/2021 at 2:51 PM, Jane_Doe said:

Exactly. 

We should be pleased that our church is full of happy people who want to socialize. That’s a good thing. 

Edited by LDSGator