Requiring a COVID-19 Vaccine (shot/s)

Traveler

19 minutes ago, Traveler said:

Unless government funding is involved.

The Traveler

Correct. None of this effects me, I’ve already gotten the three shots. I have sympathy for anyone who loses their job over this, but I also see the irony here. A business can, and should be allowed to choose who they serve. That’s why a baker can refuse to bake a cake. The same baker can also fire you for not being vaccinated. Freedom goes both ways, not just ways you want it to! Lol

2 hours ago, LDSGator said:

A business can, and should be allowed to choose who they serve. That’s why a baker can refuse to bake a cake. The same baker can also fire you for not being vaccinated. 

I probably know 100 folks who are anti COVID vax, the vast majority are right wing.  I have yet to hear a single one of them say a private business should not be able to implement their own mandate and fire anyone who refuses the shot.  There's no end of griping about businesses choosing to do such a thing, but pretty much everyone understands it's their right to do it.

Here is a list of things I do see anti-vax folks doing:
- I know one person who quit his job because they were talking mandates, and went to work for another company that wasn't.
- My wife has heard of several in the medical and nursing fields who have quit over company mandates, only to be quietly hired back later.
- I have a buddy who runs a consulting firm, who is asking every contact he has "if someone is ticked off or fired because of the vaccine, send them my way and I'll hire them".  If his firm grows to 99 people, he'll start a second firm.
- I know 3, and have heard of dozens more, anti vax folks who just knuckled down and got the jab, to keep their jobs.  I can accept their principled stands against mandatory jabs, and their practical choice to not give up their paycheck.  

Edited by NeuroTypical

7 minutes ago, NeuroTypical said:

I probably know 100 folks who are anti COVID vax, the vast majority are right wing.  I have yet to hear a single one of them say a private business should not be able to implement their own mandate and fire anyone who refuses the shot.  There's no end of griping about businesses choosing to do such a thing, but pretty much everyone understands it's their right to do it.

- I know one person who quit his job because they were talking mandates, and went to work for another company that wasn't.
- My wife has heard of several in the medical and nursing fields who have quit over company mandates, only to be quietly hired back later.
- I have a buddy who runs a consulting firm, who is asking every contact he has "if someone is ticked off or fired because of the vaccine, send them my way and I'll hire them".  If his firm grows to 99 people, he'll start a second firm.
- I know 3, and have heard of dozens more, anti vax folks who just knuckled down and got the jab, to keep their jobs.  I can accept their principled stands against mandatory jabs, and their practical choice to not give up their paycheck.  

My only first hand experience with this is that I have a friend from Houston who lost his job right after he emailed HR about the vaccine mandate their company had implemented. I know he stopped working there shortly afterwards but I’m not sure if the mandate was why.  I sort of doubt it though.

10 hours ago, LDSGator said:

Correct. None of this effects me, I’ve already gotten the three shots. I have sympathy for anyone who loses their job over this, but I also see the irony here. A business can, and should be allowed to choose who they serve. That’s why a baker can refuse to bake a cake. The same baker can also fire you for not being vaccinated. Freedom goes both ways, not just ways you want it to! Lol

Not really, you sure a baker could not sell or open their doors to black or latino persons? How long do you think that will last?

The baker doesn't have anything under him saying he has to bake a cake with a theme, the same way a jewish baker could deny making a cake theme, "The Holocaust never happened." I don't think the baker has the right to deny someone who is homosexual to purchase a cake, just as you can't deny a black person access to a bus or tell them where they have to sit. So, no, Lol.

A business should not be able to deny employ to a person who isn't vaxxed, just as a business is not able to deny service/employ if they are a certain color. Its stupid, and only people with control and power issues would do so, as we see with our great President.

12 hours ago, Anddenex said:

Not really, you sure a baker could not sell or open their doors to black or latino persons? How long do you think that will last?

The baker doesn't have anything under him saying he has to bake a cake with a theme, the same way a jewish baker could deny making a cake theme, "The Holocaust never happened." I don't think the baker has the right to deny someone who is homosexual to purchase a cake, just as you can't deny a black person access to a bus or tell them where they have to sit. So, no, Lol.

A business should not be able to deny employ to a person who isn't vaxxed, just as a business is not able to deny service/employ if they are a certain color. Its stupid, and only people with control and power issues would do so, as we see with our great President.

Just so that I’m clear, you have the freedom to not get vaxxed, but your boss lacks the freedom to employ who they want to? 

Edited by LDSGator

31 minutes ago, LDSGator said:

Just so that I’m clear, you have the freedom to not get vaxxed, but your boss lacks the freedom to employ who they want to? 

Yes, you have heard of anti-discrimination clauses right? Is a employer able to not employ a gay person just because they are gay? No.

Does an employer have the freedom not to employ women because they are women? Or will there be a lawsuit where the employer will pay out for the discrimination?

The same way an employer is not able to make a decision and demand knowledge if you have an STD and if you do he/she is not able to say sorry you can't be employed here.

The same way, if you rent your house you can't say to someone who drinks or smokes that you can't rent my house because you drink or smoke -- although it is your "private" home.

The same way a loan officer is not able to say to a Latino, or someone of a different culture, I can't serve you because you are [insert culture], but if I do I will charge you 2% more for the cost of the loan.

If a business, private, had the freedom you say to serve none of these laws would exist.

If you agree that an employer has the freedom to not employ a gay person because they are gay, or any of the above scenarios are OK and should not be regulated by law, then I will acquiesce my thoughts -- pertaining to your thoughts -- because you are consistent.

Edited by Anddenex

6 minutes ago, Anddenex said:

Yes, you have heard of anti-discrimination clauses right? Is a employer able to not employ a gay person just because they are gay? No.

Does an employer have the freedom not to employ women because they are women? Or will there be a lawsuit where the employer will pay out for the discrimination?

The same way an employer is not able to make a decision and demand knowledge if you have an STD and if you do he/she is not able to say sorry you can't be employed here.

The same way, if you rent your house you can't say to someone who drinks or smokes that you can't rent my house because you drink or smoke -- although it is your "private" home.

The same way a loan officer is not able to say to a Latino, or someone of a different culture, I can't serve you because you are [insert culture], but if I do I will charge you 2% more for the cost of the loan.

If a business, private, had the freedom you say to serve none of these laws would exist.

If you agree that an employer has the freedom to not employ a gay person because they are gay, or any of the above scenarios are OK and should not be regulated by law, then I will acquiesce my thoughts -- pertaining to your thoughts -- because you are consistent.

Fair enough. Thanks. 

11 minutes ago, Anddenex said:

you agree that an employer has the freedom to not employ a gay person because they are gay, or any of the above scenarios are OK and should not be regulated by law, then I will acquiesce my thoughts -- pertaining to your thoughts -- because you are consistent.

And yes, I’ve always said that. On here, on other social media, etc. An employer should have a right to tell whoever they want to take a hike, customer or worker, for whatever reason. Now, should they fire a worker for being gay? Of course not. Same with someone not being vaxxed. But they should have that right. You have the freedom to do things that I’m repulsed by. 

Edited by LDSGator

@LDSGator and @Anddenex I have mixed thought concerning your discussion.  I have a few small businesses and a couple of them are very much dependent on "public" perceptions.  And so I must expect that those I employ (which are very few) put forth the perceptions we intend to put forth towards the public.  This may sound weird but I am not concerned so much about a person's "private life" but I am very concerned about what they intend to make publicly known about their life choices.   There are grooming standards and dress standards for when they are working but I make no effort to tell them how to behave, dress or maintain themselves in their "private lives".   I have employed individuals fresh out of Jail and I was just as open and honest with them as I am in my explanations before the forum as to my expatiations during the hours of my employment.

Some call this the golden rule - or the one with the gold makes the rules.  Having been in the employ of the government (receiving government money while in the military) I have learned a hard lesson that especially the government more than any other employer puts more restrictions on those "under" their control.  What I do not understand is why that part of the government that is paid directly by the citizens (taxes) still behaves like they are our masters.  And I also do not understand why so many citizens allow them to get away with it.

The Traveler

35 minutes ago, Traveler said:

@LDSGator and @Anddenex I have mixed thought concerning your discussion.  I have a few small businesses and a couple of them are very much dependent on "public" perceptions.  And so I must expect that those I employ (which are very few) put forth the perceptions we intend to put forth towards the public.  This may sound weird but I am not concerned so much about a person's "private life" but I am very concerned about what they intend to make publicly known about their life choices.   There are grooming standards and dress standards for when they are working but I make no effort to tell them how to behave, dress or maintain themselves in their "private lives".   I have employed individuals fresh out of Jail and I was just as open and honest with them as I am in my explanations before the forum as to my expatiations during the hours of my employment.

Some call this the golden rule - or the one with the gold makes the rules.  Having been in the employ of the government (receiving government money while in the military) I have learned a hard lesson that especially the government more than any other employer puts more restrictions on those "under" their control.  What I do not understand is why that part of the government that is paid directly by the citizens (taxes) still behaves like they are our masters.  And I also do not understand why so many citizens allow them to get away with it.

The Traveler

Trav, you have every right to run your company the way you want to run your company. If you don’t want long haired tattooed people working in your store, that’s absolutely fine.  If I don’t want squeaky clean guys who look like they are still on a mission working for me, that’s fine too. 

It’s probably better off for everyone. Who wants to work with or associate with someone who doesn’t like or respect them?

Edited by LDSGator

On 1/17/2022 at 12:16 PM, NeuroTypical said:

I have (in my current opinion of course).

I've also seen students (and unfortunately staff) that have tried to make issues about this.  It's not just about THEIR rights apparently, they feel that anyone who does not agree with them is curtailing their rights as well. 

We saw it quite a bit with masks and social distancing in 2020 where companies would require masks and there would be those that would refuse to wear one or social distance and harrass the poor employees about the policy. 

We see it now occasionally with policies at the university where students feel it is their RIGHT in this situation to refuse to follow university policies and implement their feelings on the matter instead.  They feel it is abridging their "Freedoms" to require such.

We see it at Church (which is private property) where the Prophet and First Presidency themselves asked us to vaccinate and take precautions and there are MANY who refuse to do so.  Ironically, many had previously said to follow the Prophet no matter what.  Many said they would have happily done what their pioneer forbears did if required...but looking at the metal serpent (aka...wearing a mask, social distancing, or getting vaccinated) was FAR too much trouble for them.  They refuse to follow the requests of the owners of the property of the Church.

There are state governments that are attempting to ban mask or vaccine mandates, meaning a PRIVATE company in some states may not have a vaccine mandate if those state governments succeed (and vice versa, as it is perhaps left to the states in the wake of the Supreme Court decision, some places may have masks mandated).

state efforts to ban or enforce mandates

What do we consider them not contesting the idea that private business should be allowed to mandate vaccines if they so desire?

Edited by JohnsonJones
Spelling, grammar, other mistakes

3 hours ago, Traveler said:

The Traveler

I don't find anything wrong with "policies". For example, if you have tested positive for [insert sickness] the policy is to stay home until better. Dress and grooming are all policies that anyone can adhere to and it doesn't require anything "into" the body.

My brother-in-law is a Oral Surgeon. Part of the policy is if you have tattoos on the arms you have to wear long sleeves. I wouldn't agree though with a policy/mandate/rule that said you can't be hired if you have a tattoo.

I'm against any rule/mandate/law that specifies something I have to do to mine own body in order to stay employed or work there. I may not agree with tattoos but it would be unjust as a business employer to fire someone over a tattoo. Or vice versa, an employer saying to current employee base if you don't get a tattoo of our company brand symbol you will be fired by this date.

I understand there are outliers to almost anything, as I am speaking in general.

Edited by Anddenex

18 hours ago, Anddenex said:

Well, now you at least know one person NT.

Fair enough.  I don't agree, but fair enough.

A person can't chose to not be gay, or female, or black.  A person can chose to get the shot.  That's one difference in my mind.    Another difference: Both of Biden's mandates, including the one that didn't get thrown out by the supreme court, allow medical and religious exemptions.  Similar reasoning - you can't chose your medical situation, and shouldn't be forced to deny your faith.

11 hours ago, LDSGator said:

Trav, you have every right to run your company the way you want to run your company. If you don’t want long haired tattooed people working in your store, that’s absolutely fine.  If I don’t want squeaky clean guys who look like they are still on a mission working for me, that’s fine too. 

It’s probably better off for everyone. Who wants to work with or associate with someone who doesn’t like or respect them?

I think there are other factors to be considered.  The only reason that I run a business is to create a profit.  I have posted in the past that I am not motivated by money.  But that is a personal thing.  The reality is that I do not run any business to lose money.  I like providing income to others.  Most of the others also own their business and work for me through their business and contractors.   I could make a very long list of things I have learned about employing others.  For example a very average person that has done a particular thing successfully many times is much better at getting that job done than a PHD genius that has never done that particular thing.  This is short for someone with experience is better than someone with a college degree that is new on the job.  Many corporate mangers (and political individual or many others with college degrees) have not figured this out.  One of the best plumbers I use has a masters degree in business and accounting - but he likes being a plumber better and he makes more money.

You are correct - respect is very important but I do not think liking someone is all that important.  It is hard for me not to like anyone once I get to know them (but there are exceptions).  I have never met someone that works and does a good job that I cannot like.  However, I would not want them to date my daughter but I can get along with them in the work place.  I have also learned not to go to a bar with people I work with - even if I drink milk or water.  I do not mind if someone swears as long as they do not while I am around.

One last thing - thank you for your support.

The Traveler 

8 hours ago, Anddenex said:

I don't find anything wrong with "policies". For example, if you have tested positive for [insert sickness] the policy is to stay home until better......

Question do you consider mental illness a sickness?  Just checking to see if there are any exceptions?

The Traveler

10 hours ago, Traveler said:

You are correct - respect is very important but I do not think liking someone is all that important. 

We agree totally. I don’t need to like you to work with you, I just have to respect you. I’ve worked successfully with people I can’t stand, and I’m 100% positive they’ve felt the same way about me. 

8 minutes ago, LDSGator said:

We agree totally. I don’t need to like you to work with you, I just have to respect you. I’ve worked successfully with people I can’t stand, and I’m 100% positive they’ve felt the same way about me. 

As I think more on this - I have worked for individuals that I did not respect at the time.  I once told a vice president in a company I worked for that if I performed my job (assignment) as poorly as he did - I would expect to be fired.  Interestingly this all turned our better than one might expect but the whole story would be far to long for this thread.

The Traveler

3 minutes ago, Traveler said:

As I think more on this - I have worked for individuals that I did not respect at the time.  I once told a vice president in a company I worked for that if I performed my job (assignment) as poorly as he did - I would expect to be fired.  Interestingly this all turned our better than one might expect but the whole story would be far to long for this thread.

The Traveler

Wow. That’s bold of you my friend. Glad it turned out good in the end. 

18 hours ago, NeuroTypical said:

Fair enough.  I don't agree, but fair enough.

A person can't chose to not be gay, or female, or black.  A person can chose to get the shot.  That's one difference in my mind.    Another difference: Both of Biden's mandates, including the one that didn't get thrown out by the supreme court, allow medical and religious exemptions.  Similar reasoning - you can't chose your medical situation, and shouldn't be forced to deny your faith.

Understood, and this is one area we will probably have more disagreement with and that is OK.

I recognize the idea of not being able to choose (it's valid); however, as a "private" home owner who chooses to rent there are laws against prohibiting or not renting to individuals who drink and smoke (I know smoke for sure, drinking maybe not but I believe it is accurate). Smoking and drinking are personal choices that we have laws against that you can't discriminate, which makes sense.

In the beginning, when going through Loan Officer training and trying to understand all the laws in place. I used to think you should be able to deny renting to smokers and drinkers due to personal choice. Then, as I thought more about it, worse case scenario, if everyone who rented denied smokers and drinkers a place to live they would be homeless and that would not be just, nor right. In that light, knowing my own mind, the law against that is good and right. No matter what freedoms we think we have we don't have the right/freedom to deny someone a place of shelter for their personal choice of smoking and drinkings. I don't see this any different with the concept of being vaxxed and employment. Its the same category/principle. A person needs a job to provide for himself/herself and family. If every place of employment (as with renting a private home) decided to not employ that would cause a person the inability to do what is one of the most important options in our day -- providing. It would be unjust and not right.

11 hours ago, Traveler said:

Question do you consider mental illness a sickness?  Just checking to see if there are any exceptions?

The Traveler

If true mental illness, then yes, if a person needs time to recover, recuperate, then yes. At the same time, a person is being employed for a job. If they aren't performing their job, then sadly a hard discussion needs to happen between the employer and employee.

I think there are always exceptions, thus I also provided "true" mental illness.

• pam unfeatured this topic
  • 8 months later...

There are a few key reasons why requiring a COVID-19 vaccine may be necessary:

Public health protection: By requiring the vaccine, we can help ensure that a large percentage of the population is protected from the virus, which can help to prevent outbreaks and slow the spread of the disease. This can help to protect vulnerable individuals and reduce the strain on our healthcare system.

Herd immunity: By requiring the vaccine, we can help to achieve herd immunity, which occurs when a large percentage of the population is immune to a disease. This can help to protect those who cannot be vaccinated, such as young children or individuals with compromised immune systems.

Equity: Requiring the vaccine can help to ensure that everyone has equal access to protection from the virus, regardless of their ability to pay or other barriers to vaccination. This can help to promote equity and reduce disparities in health outcomes.

Public trust: By requiring the vaccine, we can signal to the public that the vaccine is safe and effective, and that it is an important tool in protecting public health. This can help to build trust in the vaccine and encourage more people to get vaccinated.

• 1 month later...

There is a lot of water now under the bridge of the COVID pandemic and the so called vaccine.   There has been an abundance of misinformation.  I thought it may be a good time to review this topic.

First – the technical term should not be vaccine but rather gene therapy.   This is because mRNA (message RNA) is genetically created for the body to respond to the COVID virus.  It is my understanding that mRNA is not in itself immunity.  If this is accurate all the talk about the “vaccine” stopping the virus in its tracks – was false misinformation.  This is why those having the “vaccine(s)” can still get the virus and pass the virus on to others.

The initial theory of the “vaccine” (gene therapy) was to give the immune system (that had not been exposed to the virus) a head start.  I believe that this concept is genius in slowing down both the spread of the virus and it effects.  But there are (or should be) obvious problems.  The first is that the “vaccine(s)” are not all that effective in those with natural immunity – especially those that contacted and defeated the virus and retain T-cell immunity.   And second it is not a cure nor a solution for individuals that are at high risk for the virus but those with high risk can definently benefit – which is only about 10% of the population.  Logic should indicate that a vaccine mandate would be both unnecessary and counterproductive – simply because the majority of society would not benefit from it.

The second great problem of misinformation comes from our CDC not pursuing a cure that could be effective once someone became sick with COVID.   Why would the CDC not pursue a cure?  The answer is funding.  The “vaccine(s) could only be pursued with government funding as long as there was a national emergency. If there is a (known) possible cure it would of necessity end the national emergency.  This is where large amounts of money can corrupt both science and good judgment.  One of the first things we learned about COVID is that it kills by what is (in technical terms) called a “cytokine storm”.   When was the last time anyone heard the term cytokine storm even being mentioned in association to COVID?

Now I will ask a question that the CDC is just starting to admit it initially answered incorrectly.  The question is – what is the difference between dying of COVID and dying with COVID?  There are a lot of problems with this because many people will die of complications only because they have the COVID virus but not from a cytokine storm.  One way we can statistically deal with this question is to compare the total death rate before COVID with the death rate during COVID.  Statistically things can get skewed because of lockdowns and other possibilities.  Not because lockdown slow the virus but because lockdowns can diminish death by accident.  But we do have data to consider.

Now I would present another problem – previously I talked about emergency government funding being cut off for research if there was a cure for the virus.  Early on president Trump contracted the virus before there was a vaccine and he touted that he was cured by hydroxychloroquine.  If hydroxychloroquine was and effective cure – why would the medical community reject it?  Especially our CDC?  One possible reason is because hydroxychloroquine is cheap and all the research money would disappear overnight.   Big pharma would lose its current biggest cash cow.  I am not toting Fox News (because of their bias) but on the Tucker Carlson program dated Jan 26th he played a tape of a Pfizer executive bragging about how the company is using progressive evolution (orthogenesis) – which Dr. Fauchi insisted is not “gain of function” to accelerate the virus as a means of making lots more money.

This is most troubling because our medical profession could be taking advantage of the virus to make more money and use a crisis (possibly a  man made virus that the CDC and big pharma helped create) for their benefit.   But I wanted to talk about hydroxychloroquine as a possible cure.  Hydroxychloroquine is used for a couple of things.  One of the things is treating exaggerated immune responses which is exactly what a cytokine storm is.  For decades hydroxychloroquine has been used as a treatment for Lupus to treat overactive immune responses causing a form of arthritis.  The CDC and the entire medical profession has declared hydroxychloroquine safe for treatment with minimal side effects.  But the CDC and associated doctors say that hydroxychloroquine is actually dangerous and should not be used for COVID????  Is hydroxychloroquine dangerous are safe for exaggerated immune responses????

I suggest that the millions of those individuals being treated for Lupus with hydroxychloroquine could be used as a study to see how they faired in the COVID pandemic compared to the rest of society.  I cannot find any study to indicate anything one way or the other.  I wonder why this research has never been done?

I am not a medical professional – I am not an expert.  I am a scientist, and I am capable of research and asking questions.  I would be most interested in knowing answers to my questions – especially from experts in the medical field.

Thanks for reading this long post

The Traveler

Edited by Traveler

1 hour ago, Traveler said:

This is most troubling because our medical profession could be taking advantage of the virus to make more money and use a crisis (possibly a  man made virus that the CDC and big pharma helped create) for their benefit. 

I have a friend who is very high in the administrative side of a very large hospital "chain" who spoke of "doctored" numbers and money when I asked about this topic.

2 hours ago, mirkwood said:

I have a friend who is very high in the administrative side of a very large hospital "chain" who spoke of "doctored" numbers and money when I asked about this topic.

I work in healthcare admin, and sadly the numbers and money are substantial. There is a reason greed is classified as one of the seven deadly sins.