Requiring a COVID-19 Vaccine (shot/s)

Traveler

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/17/2022 at 12:16 PM, NeuroTypical said:

I probably know 100 folks who are anti COVID vax, the vast majority are right wing.  .......

The reason for this (I think) is because the left wing has taken control of the COVID vax and made a means to exert political power.   For example, when Trump was president the speaker of the house (a left wing Democrat) openly declared that they would not participate in any encouragement of the Trump vax and that they certainly would not take the vax themselves. 

Obviously there is more politics than intelligent reason and honest concern for this country's population.  I am beginning to think we have a greater problems that the dangers of the COVID virus. 

The Traveler

Edited by Traveler

Oh, the rhetoric was absolutely there.  I vivdly remember Pelosi reacting to "Operation Warp Speed" by being openly skeptical about taking any shot that came from the Trump administration.

And then she got the shot. 

Trump faced boos for admitting he had been vaxxed and boosted.

Such is politics.

2 hours ago, LDSGator said:

That occurred after the election. At that point, Democrats were more than happy to resume their covid virtue-signalling.

Guest Godless
14 hours ago, NeuroTypical said:

Oh, the rhetoric was absolutely there.  I vivdly remember Pelosi reacting to "Operation Warp Speed" by being openly skeptical about taking any shot that came from the Trump administration.

And then she got the shot. 

Trump faced boos for admitting he had been vaxxed and boosted.

Such is politics.

Ironically, I think Trump's promotion of the vaccine, even after he left office, is going to cost him the 2024 primary.

21 minutes ago, Just_A_Guy said:

Cost them the primary?

Cost them members. I said it was a rumor and if I’m off, fine. But I remember hearing on a podcast that either church leadership or members themselves are worried that the church has gotten too “moderate” and their stance on the vaccine was the reason they used. 

3 minutes ago, LDSGator said:

Cost them members. I said it was a rumor and if I’m off, fine. But I remember hearing on a podcast that either church leadership or members themselves are worried that the church has gotten too “moderate” and their stance on the vaccine was the reason they used. 

I don’t doubt it.  I see a lot of kvetching about it in uber-conservative venues.  It ain’t just political progressives whose church membership sometimes puts them in uncomfortable situations . . .

9 minutes ago, Just_A_Guy said:

I don’t doubt it.  I see a lot of kvetching about it in uber-conservative venues.  It ain’t just political progressives whose church membership sometimes puts them in uncomfortable situations . . .

Once again this shows how much the extreme left and extreme right have in common with one another. Fascinating how they can’t realize it though. 

On 2/10/2023 at 6:42 PM, LDSGator said:

It is a big head scratcher – as soon as they won the election to defeat Trump, they took control of the vaccine (which included the credit for it) and got the vaccine themselves as soon as possible.

The Traveler

6 hours ago, Traveler said:

It is a big head scratcher – as soon as they won the election to defeat Trump, they took control of the vaccine (which included the credit for it) and got the vaccine themselves as soon as possible.

The Traveler

The whole thing was basically "Trump is bad, so anything he does is bad". 

Thus the hypocrisy. 

It's alarmingly common when people fall into an extreme "us vs. them" mindset. 

On 2/11/2023 at 6:00 PM, Just_A_Guy said:

I have one data point.  My cousin hemmed and hawed about it for almost two years before finally telling us that she was leaving the Church over it.

The thing is that it didn't even affect her.  She didn't have to get the shot (her children neither).  Their ward didn't require her to wear a mask.

My family, however, was directly affected by it.  Three of my children had to get the vaccine specifically for their missions.  Our fourth is getting his papers ready.  And has been told he needs to get the shot.  But apparently, that requirement may be changing before he actually leaves.  So...

We were directly affected by it.  No one in my household even has an inkling to leave the Church at this point.  And we're about as conservative as they come.

I really don't see the reasoning behind a vaccine causing a loss of faith, any more than hearing that Joseph Smith was a money-digger.

1 hour ago, Carborendum said:

My family, however, was directly affected by it.  Three of my children had to get the vaccine specifically for their missions.  Our fourth is getting his papers ready.  And has been told he needs to get the shot.  But apparently, that requirement may be changing before he actually leaves.  So...

You have been misinformed on this issue.  The requirement during this timeframe was only for foreign missions and in person attendance at the MTC.  You can still go stateside without the vaccine.

1 minute ago, mirkwood said:

You have been misinformed on this issue.  The requirement during this timeframe was only for foreign missions and in person attendance at the MTC.  You can still go stateside without the vaccine.

I'm afraid your information is incomplete.  We had official communications from the missionary department stating that they were REQUIRED.

Unofficially, I asked about it and found...

While technically, the shot was initially only required for foreign missions,

• There were too many who did NOT get the shot, hoping that they wouldn't REALLY be required. 
  • Others were waiting to see where the calls were before getting it, and found that their departure date was so close that they couldn't schedule a shot in time.
  • Others simply "forgot" before going to the MTC.

So, they started telling everyone GET THE SHOT!!! Because we don't know yet where you'll be called.  So get it or we will not process your papers.

As I said, this second part is unofficial.  But the requirement for my children was on OFFICIAL documents.

10 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

I'm afraid your information is incomplete.  We had official communications from the missionary department stating that they were REQUIRED.

Unofficially, I asked about it and found...

While technically, the shot was initially only required for foreign missions,

• There were too many who did NOT get the shot, hoping that they wouldn't REALLY be required. 
  • Others were waiting to see where the calls were before getting it, and found that their departure date was so close that they couldn't schedule a shot in time.
  • Others simply "forgot" before going to the MTC.

So, they started telling everyone GET THE SHOT!!! Because we don't know yet where you'll be called.  So get it or we will not process your papers.

As I said, this second part is unofficial.  But the requirement for my children was on OFFICIAL documents.

So have we and that was not the case.  The Missionary Department told us that if you did not get the shot you would be assigned stateside.

On 2/11/2023 at 5:00 PM, Just_A_Guy said:

This could be funny, but even though I am seen as a Liberal here, in some of the Church venues I would probably be seen as an ULTRA conservative in regards to church policy and doctrines.

I would say that the Church has been seen as going not just moderate, but actually rather liberal over the past few years in these circles.

Despite me supporting the prophet fully in their measures to protect the lives and health of members, I can also see that there have been problematic things that started prior to the Covid-19 outbreak that are causing some deep rifts in the membership of some groups.

Covid-19 issues exacerbated (were more of a catalyst than a cause) with some of these individuals.  The issues were already there and the sentiment simmering. 

I have no solution overall, except to say that the Gospel is true and to hold onto it like the Iron Rod.

It may be that we are already in, or it is soon coming, where there will be a great sifting between wheat and tares as has been talked about.

On 2/20/2023 at 2:00 PM, mirkwood said:

So have we and that was not the case.  The Missionary Department told us that if you did not get the shot you would be assigned stateside.

I went and verified with my family.  You may be right.  But we can't be sure anymore.

My boys were told that they HAVE TO get the shot just to submit papers. At least that's what they said.  They were both assigned foreign missions.  My one son who had the WORST reaction to the shot (it was worse than when he had COVID) was assigned to Ukraine.  Well that didn't happen.  So, he's in Layton, Utah wondering why on earth he had to get the shot.  Utah doesn't have a vax mandate.

My daughter corrected me about hers (just a few months later than my boys.  She was allowed to submit without the shot, not my sons.  But she was assigned to a mission in California.  When she got there, she still wasn't "required" to get the shot.  But she found that her efforts at missionary work were greatly hampered by state restrictions on the unvaxxed.  Additionally, the mission pres always "encouraged" (guilt-tripped) the entire mission into getting the shot.  He also made sure to have what I would call a "shot team" ready in one of the rooms of the church wherever a zone conference was held.

So, my daughter eventually gave in.  She had a local reaction and a fever for a week.  Then she actually got sick with something-er-other. It didn't seem to be COVID.  But the best we could figure was that she was weakened due to her reaction to the shot and became vulnerable to whatever other flu-of-the-day was out there.  She was out for another week because of that.

My son who is preparing now, said that it "looked like" he had to get the shot.  But re-reading it, he believes he doesn't need it.  I told him about the foreign thing because he's been studying Finnish for the last year or so.  He says he'll cross that bridge when they come to it.  I looked it up.  Finland "recommends" but does not require the vax.

I still have to wonder why ANY of my family needs the shot when we've already had it.  The whole family.  It's as if we suffered for nothing.  We still need to get hit with a fever an swelling and the whole nine yards when we've already had the disease.

Edited by Carborendum