Atari releases new console

LDSGator

4 hours ago, LDSGator said:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/gaming/2021/06/03/atari-vcs-home-video-game-console-launch-june-15/7520671002/

I love classic gaming, and I love Atari. But this is going to be a disaster. 

I agree.  It is simply too easy to just download a Windows version of the same games.

I suppose it has the potential to be a collector's item.  And it will have a niche market.  But I don't see it going beyond that.

12 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

I agree.  It is simply too easy to just download a Windows version of the same games.

I suppose it has the potential to be a collector's item.  And it will have a niche market.  But I don't see it going beyond that.

Yes, perfectly said. 

2 hours ago, Still_Small_Voice said:

It's too expensive.  Atari might have more success if they wanted $99 or less for it.

This makes me want to go and find the old Pitfall and Pitfall II video games for personal computer.  I loved those video games.

Outstanding games. I’d argue that Pitfall was among the first platform games!!! 

On 6/5/2021 at 11:38 PM, Still_Small_Voice said:

Oh absolutely. You could also get 99% of these games on the Ps2 for about, oh, 20$! 

I do not do gaming consoles.  At the present I strictly stick with personal computer games.  Mostly all I play now is Tetris.  I used to play Defense of the Ancient II but my interest is waning in video games lately and I am more into music, movies, history, current events, food storage preparation, firearms and investing.

I was just watching the movie "The Cokeville Miracle" today.  While looking at the film credits I saw a picture of a woman that used to be in an old Ward I was in.  It is shocking that I knew Jennie though I have not conversed with her in many years.  My wife and I liked her and her husband.

18 minutes ago, Still_Small_Voice said:

I do not do gaming consoles.  At the present I strictly stick with personal computer games.  Mostly all I play now is Tetris.  I used to play Defense of the Ancient II but my interest is waning in video games lately and I am more into music, movies, history, current events, food storage preparation, firearms and investing.

That’s cool, we all have different interests. I’ve noticed my love of gaming has increased a bit as I’ve aged. 

On 6/3/2021 at 3:12 PM, LDSGator said:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/gaming/2021/06/03/atari-vcs-home-video-game-console-launch-june-15/7520671002/

I love classic gaming, and I love Atari. But this is going to be a disaster. 

Finally, a console worth getting!! I'm off to the nearest Radio Shack to pick one up. I hope they still have one in stock....

I saw a review for this on YouTube yesterday. I’m confused as to why Atari thinks this is going to sell.  There is nothing really special about it.  And it can’t compete with the next-generation consoles, especially at the price they want for it.

Am I missing something?

https://www.techradar.com/news/atari-vcs-release-date-games-price-and-everything-you-need-to-know

It's release date is today. I can't wait to see how this thing goes. It's been announced for years-I think it was first announced when the 2600 was still around! 

Does anyone remember the Atari Jaguar? That thing also crashed and burned. I never understood that console, the controllers had so many buttons and you only needed a a few at that time. The games weren't that great either. Mostly knock offs of better versions.

It's sort of sad, because Atari is a great company, the games from that era were legendary, and they deserve better than this. 

Edited by LDSGator

6 minutes ago, Emmanuel Goldstein said:

hmm, maybe if it is the quality of the games in the arcade and not the blocking graphics of the 2600.

Agree, and I think that’s a great challenge for them. Those games were great for those of us in Generation X, (insert random joke implying @Just_A_Guy is older than me) but the games are just too shallow for many young people.