Sign in to follow this  
NeedleinA

Encouraging Temple recommend renewals?

Recommended Posts

54 minutes ago, mordorbund said:

Was there an episode where they joined the Klan or were these subversives just sneaking in white supremacy past the censors?

If George joined the Klan, then you can be sure it was because a woman was involved.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

If George joined the Klan, then you can be sure it was because a woman was involved.

Or his new boss said something he didn’t understand but he wanted to suck up so he just agreed with him

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/6/2021 at 12:10 PM, NeedleinA said:

Looking for your thoughts on how to encourage members to renew their temple recommends?
Stake leaders have spoken on this subject fairly recently, several times, with little to no movement towards success. Members just seem to be rather resistant to getting it done. 

Do people feel the need to only renew their recommends 'if' a temple is open? 
Do you try to keep a current recommend regardless of temple availability?

Are people lazy? Disinterested? How about in your area?
All other key indicators in our area are back to normal or better than pre-Covid times... except this one area and we haven't been able to pinpoint if there is a common theme/concern yet. 

Thank you!

Anciently the concept and expression of righteousness is someone that makes and kept covenants with G-d.  Thus we should understand that the righteous are the worthy temple recommend holders.  As one reads the sacred scriptures I believe that they can better understand warning and blessing with this understanding of maintaining a current temple recommend.  Without any doubt - I believe that in the parable of the 10 virgins that all of those that had oil for their lamps (in our modern age) are worthy temple recommend holders.  That for sure those 5 without oil - not one was a "worthy" current temple recommend holder. 

 

The Traveler

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/6/2021 at 12:10 PM, NeedleinA said:

Do people feel the need to only renew their recommends 'if' a temple is open? 

Do you try to keep a current recommend regardless of temple availability?

Meant to respond to this thread sooner. This is one I have mixed opinions on even when I was in the bishopric during this time. I, personally, thought doing temple recommends -- while the temple was closed -- unnecessary. If the temple is open, then yes, I find it very necessary. If the temples were all of a sudden shut down (all of them), and you couldn't attend would a temple recommend be needed? No, because there is no temple to attend, and I am still worthy.

If the temples were open, and I couldn't attend the temple I would still go in for a temple recommend because the temple is open. It is available, and should my circumstance change for a day (even an hour) I would go to the temple with that active recommend.

With that said, I kept my active regardless because I knew at some point the temples would be open. But admit, for the first six months when the temples were closed I didn't see the value in it. The Lord isn't going to ask for my temple recommend, but whether or not I am worthy.

On 6/6/2021 at 12:10 PM, NeedleinA said:

Are people lazy? Disinterested? How about in your area?
All other key indicators in our area are back to normal or better than pre-Covid times... except this one area and we haven't been able to pinpoint if there is a common theme/concern yet. 

Thank you!

Yes and no. Some are some aren't. I know I was still performing temple recommend interviews while in the bishopric. I would be more concerned if this remains when the temples are back to fully being open again. Right now, I can see people being apathetic, especially if they are living worthy lives still.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/12/2021 at 5:44 PM, Traveler said:

Anciently the concept and expression of righteousness is someone that makes and kept covenants with G-d.  Thus we should understand that the righteous are the worthy temple recommend holders.  As one reads the sacred scriptures I believe that they can better understand warning and blessing with this understanding of maintaining a current temple recommend.  Without any doubt - I believe that in the parable of the 10 virgins that all of those that had oil for their lamps (in our modern age) are worthy temple recommend holders.  That for sure those 5 without oil - not one was a "worthy" current temple recommend holder. 

 

The Traveler

When do the unworthy temple recommend holders (if that is possible) or those who do not 
have temple recommends hear Jesus tell them "I do not know you?" (Matthew 25:12).

Matteo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/20/2021 at 9:33 AM, romans8 said:

When do the unworthy temple recommend holders (if that is possible) or those who do not 
have temple recommends hear Jesus tell them "I do not know you?" (Matthew 25:12).

Matteo

The same time any others would who cry "Lord, Lord" who never knew the Savior. 

You seem to misunderstand what the recommend really is about.  In the end, it is a piece of paper. It isn't just the paper.  it is what is honestly completed in order to receive such. (Think of it like other important pieces of paper - like a diploma or a license or certification). 

Any physical item or act is only a representation of something spiritual.  But as mortal beings, we need physical reminders of the spiritual.  That is why we see the importance of something physical.  Not because of the physicality of the item, but because of what it means to have done what the Lord wants us to do.  Only then can we become what he wants us to become.

Edited by Carborendum

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In my current calling, I see a real mix.  Some don't care at all about renewing their recommend while others will kick your door in for an interview with the Bishop.   Personally, I feel I must have a current recommend regardless of my temple visitation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/21/2021 at 7:23 AM, Carborendum said:

The same time any others would who cry "Lord, Lord" who never knew the Savior. 

You seem to misunderstand what the recommend really is about.  In the end, it is a piece of paper. It isn't just the paper.  it is what is honestly completed in order to receive such. (Think of it like other important pieces of paper - like a diploma or a license or certification). 

Any physical item or act is only a representation of something spiritual.  But as mortal beings, we need physical reminders of the spiritual.  That is why we see the importance of something physical.  Not because of the physicality of the item, but because of what it means to have done what the Lord wants us to do.  Only then can we become what he wants us to become.

So if I understand you correctly, those who do not enter the temple or enter in an unworthy manner
are in the end condemned by the Lord.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, romans8 said:

So if I understand you correctly, those who do not enter the temple or enter in an unworthy manner
are in the end condemned by the Lord.

No; those who fail to keep their covenants, fail to avail themselves of the atoning blood of Jesus Christ, and reject His grace are in the end condemned by the Lord.

Being unworthy to enter the temple is merely an indicator that one is engaging in damnable behavior and/or attitudes; it is not the cause of the damnation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, romans8 said:

So if I understand you correctly, those who do not enter the temple or enter in an unworthy manner
are in the end condemned by the Lord.

Like I said, you seem to have a misunderstanding of what the temple recommend is.  And you are now revealing a misunderstanding of the temple itself.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@NeedleinA  This is late, but my area (in the South) also had a significant number of members choosing to not renew recommends.  Executive secretaries and ward clerks sent reminders and tried to schedule appointments and a surprising (to me) number of people still chose not to renew their recommends.

As I browsed through this thread I didn't notice any mention of Elder Rasband's Oct 2020 general conference talk, https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/study/general-conference/2020/10/16rasband?lang=eng.  He said:

Quote

Let me emphasize, whether you have access to a temple or not, you need a current temple recommend to stay firmly on the covenant path.

He also reminded us of Howard W. Hunter teaching that we should hold and be worthy of a recommend even if we don't have access to a temple.  He shared:

Quote

President Russell M. Nelson recalled President Hunter’s words: “On that day, June 6, 1994, the temple recommend that we carry became a different object in my wallet. Before that, it was a means to an end. It was the means to allow me to enter a sacred house of the Lord; but after he made that declaration, that became an end in itself. It became my badge of obedience to a prophet of God.”

 

Aside from reminding members and trying to schedule appointments, another approach we took was to remind them of the Lord's teachings using this talk by Elder Rasband.  But I'm not sure it had much affect.

Edited by Rhoades

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/7/2021 at 8:06 AM, NeuroTypical said:

...  Sometimes interviewers take the opportunity to try to get the member to commit to a certain number of visits over the next year.  Puts some folks in the awkward position of either refusing to commit, or lying with a weak "I'll try my best" that they are pretty sure won't happen.  So they just avoid the whole thing altogether. ...

I've been interviewed dozens of times and in many places, and I've never heard of an interviewer doing this.  That's weird.  And in my mind, it's out of line.  The handbook (section 25.1.1) says:

Quote

Members determine for themselves when and how often to worship in the temple. Leaders do not establish quotas or reporting systems for temple attendance.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would get the renewal as a courtesy to the bishop. If everyone waits until the local temple is open again then there will be a backlog once it’s open. And again in 2 years. 
 

And if it doesn’t open until December you might have to wait for him to finish with tithing settlement and priesthood advancements.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this