First Responders

Traveler

I have been thinking.  When I was in Jr High (7th grade) certain classes were required.  One class was called Health.  It was required (in Utah) that students take Health all through Jr. High and High school.  Part of the class was called “First Aid”.   The essence of first aid was what to do in a crisis – in other words the theme of first aid was that you (average Joe or Joann) are the first responder.

I am not sure when it happened but EMT, firemen and policemen now have the title of “First Responders”.  I think this is a big mistake.  I believe that free citizens in a free state are the first responders even if their initial response is to call 911.  As a side note – when I was a kid there was no 911.  If you could get to a phone you waited for the operator or dialed zero for the operator.  Back then phone operators were “trained” to handle all kinds of problems and questions.

In the parable of the Good Samaritan, not only was the Samaritan the real responder he was the only responder.  My point concerning the Good Samaritan is that if you are not willing to be an actual first responder while traveling through life’s journey (leaving such to others) – you cannot say that you love your neighbor (meaning you are good to have as a neighbor).

The Traveler

4 hours ago, Traveler said:

In the parable of the Good Samaritan, not only was the Samaritan the real responder he was the only responder.  My point concerning the Good Samaritan is that if you are not willing to be an actual first responder while traveling through life’s journey (leaving such to others) – you cannot say that you love your neighbor (meaning you are good to have as a neighbor).

Trav, you really are a sweet guy. I admire that about you. 

The reality is that a trained first responder like @mirkwood is vastly, vastly, vastly more capable of handling a crisis than any of us are. We should thank God that there people out there like him who put their lives on the line every day so I can sit on my butt, read books and play video games. 

Not to mention, having untrained civilians suddenly play hero would risk their own lives and make any situation much worse. 

Edited by LDSGator

3 hours ago, mirkwood said:

A first responder is a person with specialized training who shows up at the scene of an emergency to provide assistance to some sort of small or large scale disaster/incident.

I do not want to take away anything from those individuals with "specialized training" or in any way suggest that such are not essential and critical elements of our society.   It would be most wonderful if there was some guarantee that a person with specialized training would always show up (in time) whenever there was need.  I can personally give several accounts when the specially trained person could not have possibly shown up on time and no one was more pleased than me when they finally did arrive.

The term "first aid" is not the process or knowledge to replace specialized trained doctors or other professionals.  However, I wonder if there is confusion with terms???? Should nothing be done (absolutely no RESPONSE) until first responders arrive.  There are times I believe this is the case.  However, there are other times that require a more immediate first response.  Perhaps @Just_A_Guycould respond the the legal significance of current law and others may debate over the morals involved with saving a life.

My question is really quite simple.  When do we rely on someone else to save the day and when do we take action?  Obviously we surrender to a trained professional when possible.  But there are times when the first person at the seen needs to be the first responder.  For the sake of clarity - I believe that the actual first responder should have the title and legal protection of being a first responder.

The Traveler

12 hours ago, NeuroTypical said:

More importantly, when Chick-Fil-A offers a free chicken sandwich to all LEO/Fire/First Responders, should they just give a free chicken sandwich to everybody?

That's it!  I'm going to be a fireman.

All kidding aside... I'm hoping to (yet again) translate for all.  I believe that @Traveler made a very picturesque point.

On life's journey, the Lord did not say, "Those specifically trained to help others  shall love their neighbor."  He said it to EVERYONE.  And just as the Samaritan (who was a merchant, as far as I could tell) wasn't a trained paramedic.  Yet he came and helped do the common things that everyone knew.  First aid.  I really didn't know how important the first aid merit badge in scouting was until I became an adult and found out how many people did not know basic first aid skills.

Per the analogy, it was blazingly obvious that I do not know how to lighten anyone's burdens when I spoke of my friend Kim.  It is blazingly obvious from my mission experience that I really couldn't help anyone in any logical terms.  It has been clear during many decades of home teaching and ministering that I don't know how to be the doctor or paramedic.  But I CAN render first aid.  I can at least tell them that I love them, I want to feel the sympathy/empathy and want to help if I can.

If that's all I can do, then sobeit.  At least I did that much.  And if I could do more, I would.

In both medical and spiritual terms this first aid can be the feather that tips the balance between saving someone and seeing them fall away.

I don't think Traveler's post was about diminishing "First Responders".  In the parable, though, the one who rendered first aid was the one who was the subject of the parable, not the inn keeper.

Edited by Carborendum

In prepping and 2nd amendment circles there is a saying... "When seconds count... the police (or other first responders) are minutes away."

I have every respect for our First Responders, but there is a lot to be said about the idea of being able to correctly resolve issues or at least keep them from getting worse until the pros can get there and do their thing.  But that would require many people to really know what they are doing

Edited by estradling75