David Archuleta Reveals He Is Part Of LGBTQIA+ Community

Suzie

5 hours ago, Vort said:

The Egyptian dynastic period lasted upwards of 3000 years.

Just sayin'.

Are you talking about the period from the start of the Old Kingdom to the end of the New Kingdom? My understanding is that each "Kingdom" period was a time when upper and lower Egypt were unified under a single pharaoh and the dynasties during that time were serial, while the Intermediate Periods had a divided Egypt with local pharaohs and dynasties could overlap. The Kingdom periods to stand in contrast to @NeuroTypical's point since they each lasted about 500 years, but not quite to the degree as when we include all dynasties.

3 hours ago, mordorbund said:

Are you talking about the period from the start of the Old Kingdom to the end of the New Kingdom? My understanding is that each "Kingdom" period was a time when upper and lower Egypt were unified under a single pharaoh and the dynasties during that time were serial, while the Intermediate Periods had a divided Egypt with local pharaohs and dynasties could overlap. The Kingdom periods to stand in contrast to @NeuroTypical's point since they each lasted about 500 years, but not quite to the degree as when we include all dynasties.

You spoil all my fun. Meanie.

(PS @mordorbund isnt really a meanie.)

Edited by Vort

20 hours ago, LDSGator said:

I do, but I could be wrong. I do tend to think that, even with Covid, things aren’t as bad as they seem. 

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20190111-seven-reasons-why-the-world-is-improving

I was looking at it from a completely different perspective.  It isn't a matter of how good or bad the world is TODAY.  It isn't a matter of if the world is improving or worsening.

It is that the world could fall in a major way from ANY height within a single generation if the lessons of the gospel are not carried on from parents to children.  At any moment we're only one generation away from complete collapse.

People have been saying "the end is near" for thousands of years.  We have scriptures that quote the Lord saying,"I am nigh, even at the gates."

I don't think this is intended to mean a chronological closeness to some pre-set date.  I think it is a warning that if we do not continue teaching and living righteous principles, it could all come crashing down at ANY time.

From a practical sense, we're probably not going to see 99% of a single generation all falling away when 99% of the previous generation was stalwart and true.  But the warning is there to help remind us of our duty TODAY.  Teach the children the way path they should walk...

I have my own impression of today's rising generation.  But they are my own, and not a prophecy of what is to come.  What I can say is that whatever forces are pushing us one way, I see some holdouts that are pushing the other way.  And just like the story of the soldiers in the foxhole at Normandy Beach, they don't realize just how widespread the resistance is.  We have hope.

4 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

I was looking at it from a completely different perspective.  It isn't a matter of how good or bad the world is TODAY.  It isn't a matter of if the world is improving or worsening.

It is that the world could fall in a major way from ANY height within a single generation if the lessons of the gospel are not carried on from parents to children.  At any moment we're only one generation away from complete collapse.

People have been saying "the end is near" for thousands of years.  We have scriptures that quote the Lord saying,"I am nigh, even at the gates."

I don't think this is intended to mean a chronological closeness to some pre-set date.  I think it is a warning that if we do not continue teaching and living righteous principles, it could all come crashing down at ANY time.

From a practical sense, we're probably not going to see 99% of a single generation all falling away when 99% of the previous generation was stalwart and true.  But the warning is there to help remind us of our duty TODAY.  Teach the children the way path they should walk...

I have my own impression of today's rising generation.  But they are my own, and not a prophecy of what is to come.  What I can say is that whatever forces are pushing us one way, I see some holdouts that are pushing the other way.  And just like the story of the soldiers in the foxhole at Normandy Beach, they don't realize just how widespread the resistance is.  We have hope.

Eh, you could be right. Instead of focusing on that part, I’m more worried about my own salvation. I’ll worry about the other stuff later. 

Just now, LDSGator said:

Eh, you could be right. Instead of focusing on that part, I’m more worried about my own salvation. I’ll worry about the other stuff later. 

Well...

https://thirdhour.org/forums/topic/70927-queer-sister-speaks-at-2021-byu-womens-conference/?page=4&tab=comments#comment-1065043

2 minutes ago, LDSGator said:

Lol. I’m sheer evil bro. 😈

I knew it.  I KNEW you were pure evil.  But seriously folks...

Since we're already in the middle of a threadjack, I'll submit the following...   I was talking about teaching the gospel. And you were talking about living the gospel.  Don't they go hand in hand?  You can't truly teach it without living it.

A story is told of a woman who was upset that her son was eating too much candy. No matter how much she told him to stop, he continued to satisfy his sweet tooth. Totally frustrated, she decided to take her son to see a wise man whom he respected.
She approached him and said, “Sir, my son eats too much candy. Would you please tell him to stop eating it?”
He listened carefully then said to her son, “Go home and come back in two weeks.”
She took her son and went home, perplexed why he had not asked the boy to stop eating so much candy.
Two weeks later they returned. The wise man looked directly at the boy and said, “Boy, you should stop eating so much candy. It is not good for your health.”
The boy nodded and promised he would.
The boy’s mother asked, “Why didn’t you tell him that two weeks ago?”
The wise man smiled. “Two weeks ago I was still eating too much candy myself.”
This man lived with such integrity that he knew his advice would carry power only if he was following his own counsel.

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/study/general-conference/2019/10/28alvarado?lang=eng

And it is hard to live the gospel without preaching it as well.  The Savior gave this directive pretty imperatively -- even if it is only...

“One filled with joy preaches without preaching.”

― Mother Teresa

7 hours ago, NeuroTypical said:

That said, empires last no more than a couple of centuries, and the US has lasted almost 250. 

Just having fun for a moment...

In the Book of Mormon 3 Nephi 11-28 we read about the people enjoying about 200 years of peace and Enoch type bliss, after the Savior's visit.
The next 100 years, call them years 201-300, we are told they did “dwindle in unbelief and wickedness, from year to year”
By time we get to year 301, they have fallen all the way to:

4 Nephi 47
And it came to pass that when three hundred years had passed away, both the people of Nephi and the Lamanites had become exceedingly wicked one like unto another.

46 And it came to pass that the robbers of aGadianton did spread over all the face of the land; and there were none that were righteous save it were the disciples of Jesus. And gold and silver did they lay up in store in abundance, and did btraffic in all manner of traffic*.

* I don't know what trafficking they are specifically referring to, but I have my guesses.

Edited by NeedleinA

1 hour ago, Vort said:
1 hour ago, mordorbund said:

The Kingdom periods to stand in contrast to @NeuroTypical's point since they each lasted about 500 years, but not quite to the degree as when we include all dynasties.

You spoil all my fun. Meanie.

For the record, I wouldn't mind being shown to be wrong here.  But I'd be happy for the US constitution to be real and last 500 years over the 2.something centuries most strong "world powers" tend to get.  Then it's my distant progeny, ten or fifteen generations removed from anyone I'll ever know and love, who have to deal with it.

I'd also settle for the millennium to swiftly come, or as @LDSGator puts it "wish for a world destroying flood". :)  

Edited by NeuroTypical

57 minutes ago, NeuroTypical said:

I'd also settle for the millennium to swiftly come, or as @LDSGator puts it "wish for a world destroying flood"

In all seriousness I hope our Heavenly Father waits as long as possible. I want everyone to have a chance to be saved. 

Even @mirkwood

Edited by LDSGator

On 6/16/2021 at 1:13 AM, The Folk Prophet said:

Just out of curiosity. Did anyone happen to express the fact that this statement is, for all but the Savior Himself, 100%, absolutely, totally wrong?

And perhaps,  according to His own words, not even Him ;)

18 And Jesus said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God.

• 1 year later...