Supreme Court rules in favor of Catholic group

LDSGator

There has been talk that the recent spate of 9-0 decisions is at least partly a response to court-packing plans; SCOTUS’s way of saying “no, we actually aren’t all that politically divided”.  This decision seems to be in harmony with that theory; it apparently (per Politico’s coverage) dodges the substantive issue and doesn’t really accomplish a whole lot.

Edited by Just_A_Guy

11 hours ago, LDSGator said:

Still, it's better than a 9-0 opinion the other way. 

If we are looking for any institution of man to deliver us from bondage and make us free - we will be greatly disappointed.  --- Sooner or later. 

The Traveler

Edited by Traveler

On 6/17/2021 at 11:09 AM, LDSGator said:

That it was 9-0 is very surprising. 

I knew Alito was considered "conservative".  But I had thought he was more middle of the road conservative.  Yet he sided with the more conservative opinion.

Whereas, Barrett has extremely conservative credentials, and to a lesser extent Kavanaugh, but they joined in the more middle of the road conservative opinion (which the liberals agreed with).

Very interesting.

On 6/25/2021 at 9:49 AM, Carborendum said:

I knew Alito was considered "conservative".  But I had thought he was more middle of the road conservative.  Yet he sided with the more conservative opinion.

Whereas, Barrett has extremely conservative credentials, and to a lesser extent Kavanaugh, but they joined in the more middle of the road conservative opinion (which the liberals agreed with).

Very interesting.

It always seems like it’s conservatives who go to the middle or swing left (Souter, O’Connor, Roberts).

Aside from Byron White I can’t think of any democrats who swung rightward. Not saying it never happens. 

That said, way too many people read too much into one ruling. If Scalia was alive today, he’d be called a “liberal” just due to his flag burning opinion. Sheer madness. 

Edited by LDSGator