Critical Race Theory - Someone (liberal) please explain

Fether

3 minutes ago, LDSGator said:

Wow.

I've gotten the “Hey are you the ones who don’t do Christmas?” but never that. 

I actually have met a very few families in the Church who don't do Christmas. They're not really against it, but trend toward fundamentalism enough they see Christmas as moslty some big Catholic and/or secular thing and don't find it crucial to their worship.

16 minutes ago, Backroads said:

I actually have met a very few families in the Church who don't do Christmas. They're not really against it, but trend toward fundamentalism enough they see Christmas as moslty some big Catholic and/or secular thing and don't find it crucial to their worship.

Totally their right of course, but that choice didn’t work well for Cromwell when he tried it! 

1 hour ago, Suzie said:

I'm not into games but how in the world anyone sees an orc and they associate it with black people?

Because in movie and even literary descriptions, orcs are ugly, misshapen, and (this is the point) black. Their speech is Black Speech. They are violent and murderous, which stereotypes have been applied to blacks for generations.

I can see how the complainers can detect a stereotype in orcs. But you can detect a stereotype in anything if you want to. The answer is not to say, "You can't use orcs any more!" The answer is to say, as Ironhold has pointed out, "What is wrong with you that you view orcs as a stereotype of black people? Why are you buying into such stereotypes?"

43 minutes ago, Backroads said:

To be fair, Christmas pretty much IS a big Catholic thing, and has been ruthlessly secularized (though previous to the 20th century, I understand that it wasn't a huge deal and was not celebrated anything like we do today).

And also to be fair, I don't find Christmas to be any crucial part of my worship. I think it's fun, I like the religious association, I like the music, it's a nice thing to look forward to at the winter solstice, and I think giving each other thoughtful gifts is a tradition worth perpetuating. But if Christmas ceased to be a thing, my religious sensibilities and practice would not change.

1 hour ago, Suzie said:

I'm not into games but how in the world anyone sees an orc and they associate it with black people? Makes no sense whatsoever! 

It is a constant pounding drumbeat in the D&D groups (plural) that I am in on Facebook.  It's getting to the point I may have to mute all those groups.

Oh yea and the insanity in the groups gets worse than the above.  There is also a group shrieking about how the DM must make weelchair accessible dungeons.  Seriously.  They are saying that.

The newest D&D book, Candlekeep Mysteries, will feature WotC’s first official wheelchair-accessible dungeon, according to recent announcements. 

Edited by mirkwood

This is just sad... My daughter played a Bard in a game I ran once.  When the party came across an Orc War Band and she tried to do her role and befriend the Orcs.  Between her low level and bad rolls she failed (to no ones surprise) and a fight broke out.

Because of this the phrase 'Don't befriend Orcs' became a running joke between her...  Like when I drop her off for school I'd say "I love you, Have a good Day, And don't make friends with Orcs.

Now what was a nice peace of Father daughter bonding over shared experience.. now has me cast as a horrible racist indoctrinating my daughter

1 hour ago, Vort said:

To be fair, Christmas pretty much IS a big Catholic thing, and has been ruthlessly secularized (though previous to the 20th century, I understand that it wasn't a huge deal and was not celebrated anything like we do today).

And also to be fair, I don't find Christmas to be any crucial part of my worship. I think it's fun, I like the religious association, I like the music, it's a nice thing to look forward to at the winter solstice, and I think giving each other thoughtful gifts is a tradition worth perpetuating. But if Christmas ceased to be a thing, my religious sensibilities and practice would not change.

Christmas, along with Easter, seems to be something we as a faith just kind of went along with because everyone else was already celebrating it. They're as handy times as any to think about the Savior, but I've noticed we don't place nearly the same importance and meaning on it as other faiths. 

I kind of have to echo your same sentiments for Christmas. I love the celebration and tradition and I'm more than happy to put a spiritual meaning toward it, but it's not really here nor there in my ultimate religious practice.

1 hour ago, mirkwood said:

Oh yea and the insanity in the groups gets worse than the above.  There is also a group shrieking about how the DM must make weelchair accessible dungeons.  Seriously.  They are saying that.

The newest D&D book, Candlekeep Mysteries, will feature WotC’s first official wheelchair-accessible dungeon, according to recent announcements. 

I almost picked this up when a sample was offered to me. Kind of glad I didn't.

Any party member who is mobility impaired will find their own way to keep up with quests. (And I mean this in serious respect and interest in how this might be played out without a dungeon some evil overlord may wheelchair accessible).

2 hours ago, estradling75 said:

Because of this the phrase 'Don't befriend Orcs' became a running joke between her...  Like when I drop her off for school I'd say "I love you, Have a good Day, And don't make friends with Orcs.

Inside gamer jokes are the best.  Keep using it.

3 hours ago, mirkwood said:

I do not get it????  I place this in the same category with parking lots for difficult hiking trail heads with reserved handicap parking that never get used.

The Traveler 

3 minutes ago, Traveler said:

I do not get it????  I place this in the same category with parking lots for difficult hiking trail heads with reserved handicap parking that never get used.

The Traveler 

Apparently there are wheelchair bound players who want their characters to also be wheelchair bound in the game.  

2 minutes ago, mirkwood said:

Apparently there are wheelchair bound players who want their characters to also be wheelchair bound in the game.  

Thank you for your explanation - but for the sake of cold hard logic and honesty - I now understand such thinking even less?  I do not understand deliberate self limiting.  It would appear to me that such thinking will be sorely disappointed with the resurrection.    As an engineer - I see the universe as a puzzle for us fallen mortals to be solved with whatever methods or tools are available.   If something in a game is accessible by wheelchair it should be the only access or the concept folds inside itself void of technical logic - my point of view. 

The Traveler

2 hours ago, mirkwood said:

Which I find cool, but the ancient dungeon just likely wasn't made wheelchair accessible.

This document was adopted into our school district “Code of Conduct”. It has thrown a bunch of parents for a loop de loop! They were especially peeved by the first “Whereas”, that teachers will be trained in “implicit bias”, and the last one that makes it sound like kids of color will be from now on disciplined less harshly.  Whoee are some parents spitting mad!! This and the fact that our Board of Ed won’t commit to no masks for kids in classes come fall. They’re ready to fire the whole board.

Anti-Racism Resolution of the
Board of Education of Calvert County Public Schools

Whereas, the Calvert County Board of Education is outraged by the recent deaths of George Floyd, Ahmaud Arbery, and Breonna Taylor, as well as countless other African Americans who have lost their lives as a result of racism and police brutality that persist in our country; and

Whereas, the Calvert County Board of Education acknowledges racism exists in our school community, and we expressly denounce racism, bullying, discrimination, white supremacy, hate, and racial inequity in any form within our school community; and

Whereas, racism has no place in our schools, we must protect the constitutional rights of each person who attends or works in our district; and

Whereas the Calvert County Board of Education will not tolerate the values, structures, and behaviors that perpetuate systemic racism; and

Whereas, policies, practices, and procedures that produce equitable outcomes for students of color and marginalized groups will be adopted and maintained; and

Whereas, it is time to listen to, learn from, and speak up for those who have endured discrimination and intolerance. Every member of the district, individually and collectively, is responsible for creating and nurturing a safe, anti-racist learning environment where each student and staff member is respected and valued for who they are, regardless of skin color; and

Whereas, curriculum and instructional materials for all grades shall reflect cultural and racial diversity and include a range of perspectives and experiences, particularly those of historically underrepresented groups of color; and

Whereas, all district staff, administrators, teachers, and support staff shall be trained on implicit bias, racism, and about how racism produces inequitable practices and outcomes; and
a racially diverse and inclusive workforce is achieved by identifying and removing bias interrupters used during the hiring process; and

Whereas, discipline processes to increase racial disparities in discipline and suspension for students of color and marginalized groups shall be eliminated; now, therefore, be it

Resolved, that the Members of the Board of Education of Calvert County affirm our obligation to require a safe, anti-racist, and inclusive educational environment where each student and staff member is treated with respect and dignity regardless of the color of their skin. We further acknowledge it is the responsibility of the Superintendent of Calvert County Public Schools to uphold the commitment to eliminate bias, racism, and inequities from our system.

William J. Phalen, Sr., President
Inez N. Claggett, V. President Dawn C. Balinski, Member
Pamela L. Cousins, Member
Tracy H. McGuire, Member
Dr. Daniel D. Curry Secretary-Treasurer and Superintendent of Schools

Edited by carlimac

9 hours ago, mirkwood said:

Makes sense. In fact, I want to take it a step further. I demand that others play D&D with me, where I can play my character of a blind quadriplegic deaf mute. I should be fully included in the game and play as much a role in the fun as everyone else. Finally, our utopian dream will be realized!

Edited by Vort

23 hours ago, Vort said:

Because in movie and even literary descriptions, orcs are ugly, misshapen, and (this is the point) black. Their speech is Black Speech. They are violent and murderous, which stereotypes have been applied to blacks for generations.

I can see how the complainers can detect a stereotype in orcs. But you can detect a stereotype in anything if you want to. The answer is not to say, "You can't use orcs any more!" The answer is to say, as Ironhold has pointed out, "What is wrong with you that you view orcs as a stereotype of black people? Why are you buying into such stereotypes?"

Anyone who digs into the depiction of most fantasy "default villain" monsters like orcs, goblins, and kobolds will find that they're "villains" because their culture values greed and aggression over sense and logic. They *could* co-exist with others if they wanted to, but see other races as sources of plunder. 

There's nothing stopping a GM from deciding that one or more groups of these monsters have chosen to reject the culture, and in fact a key part of the "Warcraft" movie was an orc chieftain coming to realize that their ways were unsustainable and that the land they'd already conquered was more than enough to farm and fish on. 

23 hours ago, mirkwood said:

If this is a fantasy world, someone with limited mobility would not make for a successful adventurer under most normal circumstances. Unless the player can come up with a very good reason, I'd rule that they got magically healed somehow.