Birds apparently “are not real”. Legit news story here.

LDSGator

What is interesting to me is that I recently talked to someone that went to Venezuela a couple of months ago.  They avoided the bigger cities and spent most of their time in the countryside.  They said that the strangest thing is that there are no birds - anywhere.  Besides there being no birds, there were no pets or stray animals (dogs and cats).  They said that they never saw any critters of any kind (including rats or mice).  According to them the greater population in Venezuela is starving and eating anything they can find.

This is interesting because the vast majority of illegal immigrants crossing our southern borders - are from Venezuela.  One would think that anyone actually doing research into the root cause of illegal immigration would have discovered this by now -- be they so called liberals or conservatives. 

The Traveler

1 hour ago, Traveler said:

I am not sure that anyone knows with any degree of accuracy - which is part of the problem.

The Traveler

The accents between countries (and partly, regions) of Latin America are very clear and distinctive to native speakers.  They are as distinct as the accents we're familiar with in English.

I'm a foreign speaker.  I can recognize a Mexican accent and a Guatemalan accent because I've dealt with them so much.  I kinda have a handle on Columbian.  But it is only fair to middlin'.  Others, I'm not so familiar with.  But a native speaker?  Yes, they can tell.  And it is not that often that a person can imitate another accent very easily.  It really is a talent.

Edited by Carborendum

17 hours ago, Carborendum said:

nd it is not that often that a person can imitate another accent very easily.  It really is a talent.

In high school some moron thought he could “nail” an English accent for a play. The good news is that everyone laughed, the bad news is that it wasn’t a comedy. 

three guesses as to who that “moron” was. 

Edited by LDSGator

1 hour ago, LDSGator said:

In high school some moron thought he could “nail” an English accent for a play. The good news is that everyone laughed, the bad news is that it wasn’t a comedy. 

I'm going to guess his first initial was a T and was a Gators fan?

1 hour ago, Carborendum said:
2 hours ago, LDSGator said:

I'm going to guess his first initial was a T and was a Gators fan?

Are you saying he was...a MoronGator?

On 7/2/2021 at 3:46 AM, LDSGator said:

In Jerusalem, some people thought they could nail a Jew to a cross. The bad news is that some laughed and mocked. The good news is that they succeeded.