Reading the Scriptures

mikbone

The scriptures are probably the best tool that we have that allows us to come closer to Christ.  But different people get different blessings from reading the scriptures and some people get very little benefit at all.

I have always enjoyed the sacred text and continue to study its context. 

I do want to share a recent event that occurred with a return missionary son of mine.  

I have recommend that each of my sons read a book when they start the dating process.  It is called Man of Steel and Velvet.  It is a self help book that explains how to be a man, how to treat women, how to be a good husband and a father.

Anyway while he was courting a very nice young LDS girl who just received her mission call.  I noticed that his words and actions were contrary to the teachings in the text.  And I warned him that he was going to lose her.

I asked him if he recalls reading the book.  He said that he had read it twice.  I then asked if he understood the concept of reading comprehension, because the text recommended words and actions that were contrary to his current words and actions.

After a long discussion he agreed to read the text a 3rd time (to comprehend the recommendations) and most importantly to practice the recommendations!

He called me a month later with glee explaining that the relationship was better than it had ever been and that she was writing him poetry and bringing him flowers.

He finished his mission early due to COVID and will be returning to Cambodia to finish the 2 year calling in a few months.  While his girlfriend is scheduled to go to Portugal in a few months.

Last week he asked how he could have a better relationship with Christ.  I told him that he needed to read the scriptures like he did the most recent review of Man of Steel and Velvet.

It takes more than reading.  You have to study the material, comprehend the doctrine AND THEN LIVE IT!

Reading alone is not enough.

Hopefully he will learn this.

BTW, her grandpa told my son a sure fire way to marry your beloved if one or both of them go on a mission.  You both go to a temple endowment session.  Walk 3 times around the temple and then look upon thw statue of Moroni.  If Moroni winks back, its a guarantee.

14 hours ago, mikbone said:

The scriptures are probably the best tool that we have that allows us to come closer to Christ.  But different people get different blessings from reading the scriptures and some people get very little benefit at all.

I think those who get very little benefit have some habitual or secret sin that they refuse to give up. I agree
with what you said  - they have to read it and live it.

For me it has always been a temptation to focus to heavily on the intellectual pursuit when studying the scriptures. I would judge a successful scripture study by whether I had learned something new, which is not necessarily wrong but if that learning does not translate into living then I have not truly accessed the power of the scriptures. That's kind of like me eating a Thanksgiving dinner every day and then sitting around watching football. My body is just going to grow fat and lazy. Got to put that spiritual nourishment to work.