My daughter just now, upon biting into a chocolate chip cookie and finding it was really a raisin cookie:

Vort

On 6/25/2021 at 7:50 PM, Vort said:

"This cookie is full of lies and sadness."

You did not say that the cookie was oatmeal - which is what most of the disgusting raisin cookies are.  A real chocolate chip cookie does not have oatmeal.  In fact - I do not think a real cookie has any oatmeal.  Your daughter is on the right track - such things should be called a granola bar - certainly not a cookie.  And for the record, fig newtons should not be called a cookie.   I think there are laws about truth in labeling - but with all the advertising of drugs - it would seem there is no truth in labeling of a great many products.

The Traveler 

On 6/25/2021 at 7:50 PM, Vort said:

"This cookie is full of lies and sadness."

On the other end of things, Facebook reminded me about a thing that happened a year ago:

The homemade strawberry ice pops that daughter was all proud of making, turned out to be made of V8 juice. She is the only one that thought it was funny.

"It's real good, you're just a coward!"

On 7/1/2021 at 12:52 PM, Traveler said:

You did not say that the cookie was oatmeal - which is what most of the disgusting raisin cookies are.  A real chocolate chip cookie does not have oatmeal.  In fact - I do not think a real cookie has any oatmeal.  Your daughter is on the right track - such things should be called a granola bar - certainly not a cookie.  And for the record, fig newtons should not be called a cookie.   I think there are laws about truth in labeling - but with all the advertising of drugs - it would seem there is no truth in labeling of a great many products.

On 7/1/2021 at 2:45 PM, Carborendum said:

The "California Raisins" were a huge marketing phenomenon around 1987, right when I was dating my soon-to-be-wife. They released music albums and had TV specials. No kidding.

At the time, as a 24-year-old undergraduate, I honestly could not understand the appeal of the California Raisins. I mean, I enjoyed Claymation, and the song was appropriate enough to merit maybe a smile, and I saw that the ad was clever. But it just didn't really set well with me. Truth is, I found the animated raisins to be...well...vaguely repulsive. Almost an "uncanny valley" effect, except it wasn't the closeness to reality that was off-putting (since there was nothing remotely realistic about them). The whole thing—appearance, stop-motion animation, huge bodiless heads with pipecleaner arms and legs, the way they talked and moved, the absurd non-human attempt at anthropomorphism—weirded me the heck out. I simply did not understand the huge popularity that the California Raisins achieved, well beyond their marketing for Sunkist Raisins or whatever it was. (Which was a pyrrhic victory for the California raisin growers, because they paid the ad company double what they made with increased raisin sales.)

So now I'm in my late 50s, no longer a young unmarried man, with my outlook a bit more mature and my tastes seasoned and mellowed with time. (We can hope, anyway.) So I watched the commercial again, curious as to how I would react now to this commercial from my young adulthood.

Aaaaaaaaaand...

I found it vaguely repulsive. Ewww. It's fine for a one-off clever ad, but beyond that, why was this ever a thing?

Edited by Vort

Chocolate chip cookies have always been deceptive. They masquerade as an enjoyable snack but in reality they are deadly packages of fat and sugar. Raisin cookies are even worse. They masquerade as chocolate chip cookies, which masquerade as.....

Edited by askandanswer