Warm day today in Redmond, Washington

Vort

I saw some Facebook posts from family in the Portland area that talked about "cooling centers" there -- places with air conditioning like convention centers that were being opened up so people could have a place to go to get away from the heat if needed.

Is there talk of concern for those susceptible to heat related illness in these conditions? Some of us living in the desert southwest may not see these temperatures as really concerning, but maybe there is cause for concern in the PNW?

Stay safe and take care of each other.

My last summer living in the PNW (North East Tacoma - Federal Way) the temperature never got over 80 degrees.   Our home did not have any means of air conditioning.  Any family or friends that came to visit us (mostly from Utah) complained of the cold and wore jackets or sweaters.   Most residents thought that 85 degrees was way off the charts too hot.  That @Vort is enduring temperatures over 20 degrees hotter must be unbearable while the rest of us wonder why the complaining.

The Traveler

15 minutes ago, Vort said:

Honestly, I enjoyed the hot day yesterday. Reminded me of my childhood in eastern Washington.

We had gentle rains with nice weather when the sun came out.  Several days in a row.  I didn't have to water my plants.

So, when are you going to move down here anyway?

2 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

We had gentle rains with nice weather when the sun came out.  Several days in a row.  I didn't have to water my plants.

So, when are you going to move down here anyway?

Give us a few years.

2 hours ago, Carborendum said:

My daughter is coming home in less than a year. :) 

I'll tell my son. He'll graduate in about two years. "You should really look up Sister Carborendum. I hear she's totally hot. Being from Houston and all, I mean."

Guest Godless
On 6/28/2021 at 1:41 PM, MrShorty said:

Is there talk of concern for those susceptible to heat related illness in these conditions? Some of us living in the desert southwest may not see these temperatures as really concerning, but maybe there is cause for concern in the PNW?

AC isn't as prevalent in northern latitudes (and PNW in particular) as it is in your neck of the woods. That's why this heat wave is so dangerous.

https://www.npr.org/2021/06/28/1010923130/the-pacific-northwest-has-limited-a-c-making-the-heat-wave-more-dangerous