Remember when... "We just want equality"

NeedleinA

People just want to be loved, right?
People just want to be treated equal, right?
Lyrics

WE’LL CONVERT YOUR CHILDREN,
HAPPENS BIT BY BIT,
QUIETLY AND SUBTLELY [sic]
AND YOU WILL BARELY NOTICE IT…

WE’LL CONVERT YOUR CHILDREN,
REACHING ONE AND ALL.
THERE’S REALLY NO ESCAPING IT
‘CAUSE EVEN GRANDMA LIKES RUPAUL.
AND THE WORLD’S GETTING KINDER.
GEN Z’S GAYER THAN GRINDR…

WE’RE COMING FOR THEM
WE’RE COMING FOR YOUR CHILDREN
WE’RE COMING FOR THEM
WE’RE COMING FOR THEM
WE’RE COMING FOR YOUR CHILDREN
FOR YOUR CHILDREN…

THE GAY AGENDA IS COMING HOME
THE GAY AGENDA IS HERE!

10 hours ago, Vort said:

Aren't these the people invited to perform at Temple Square?

Not sure, but good question.
I just came across this song, I had no idea there might be some history or future event between the Church and this group.
I'm hoping that they will not be coming to Temple Square if this is the type of content they produce now days.

Edited by NeedleinA

2 hours ago, NeedleinA said:

Not sure, but good question.
I just came across this song, I had no idea there might be some history or future event between the Church and this group.
I'm hoping that they will not be coming to Temple Square if this is the type of content they produce now days.

I totally agree if it is like this.

Guest Godless
5 minutes ago, LDSGator said:

100%. The idea that there's a "gay agenda" to corrupt straight kids is so prominent in conservative circles that it's become a point of humor in the gay community.

Shucks, no 'gay agenda' after all. My bad. I thought they were after my conservative kids.
Honestly, the fact they are trying to make light of what they are doing, doesn't negate what they are doing.

Nothing to see here folks...
Untitled-2.thumb.jpg.f7fb91faddaa83f0f57e04eaebde9764.jpg

1 hour ago, LDSGator said:

Apparently the song was supposed to be a satire.

Well, obviously it's satire. That doesn't change the nature of the singing. It's a huge F-U to anyone who doesn't support homosexuality as a valid lifestyle choice.

Remember, these are the people the Church happily hosted on Temple Square. Building bridges and all that, you know. Now we see the bridges they're interested in building. Surprise! (Not.)

30 minutes ago, Vort said:

Well, obviously it's satire.

I don't believe this. It was an honest message that they obviously sincerely meant couched in a modicum of humor so they had a "it's satire" escape route when they got the criticism they knew they'd get. But it was not satire. They said what they meant and they meant what they said. They want to convert everyone to their idea of what love and tolerance is. That's what the lyrics said. And they mean it. 

Random thoughts:

- First and foremost, I'm worried that the over-the-top content of this video will push some unstable people over whatever line they're dealing with, and someone will get hurt.  I don't want to see anyone hurt.  I don't know of anyone who wants to hurt anyone.  But I'm not surprised to hear about death threats, and I'm hoping I won't have to read some headline about how someone got hurt over this.  This is more than provocative, this is borderline inciteful.

- The SFGMC didn't come to temple square.  A poster on our sister board Mormondialogue has this to say about the prior joint venture:

I’ve been present with the choir on two extended tours, and I know that its typical and traditional practice is to invite a surprise “guest conductor” to lead the choir and orchestra in the last song of the concert. This typically is some person who is prominent and well-respected in the particular venue where the choir is performing at the time. Often as not, it is a person who is not even musically trained; it’s an honorary invitation, as it were. For example, when the choir performed in New York City, the “guest conductor” was U. S. Sen. Chuck Schumer. 

On this occasion in San Francisco, the “guest conductor” was the director of the Gay Men’s Chorus. His participation was limited to that last song of the concert, and it was just he who appeared on stage, not his chorus. 

Calling it a “joint venture” gives the impression that the choir and chorus performed together for all or much of the concert. That didn’t happen, from what I can tell. 
I’m not trying to disparage or discount what did happen, or say it wasn’t momentous; it was in some respects. I’m just saying let’s not overstate it beyond what it actually was. 

- I was initially quite angry.  It took a minute.  I had to look at this picture:
HeWhoAngersYouControlsYou.jpg.b46bb905cebed78525ae317e850bd7d5.jpg
I had to review Paul's discourse on charity.  I had to breathe a little.  Once I came down off my emotional reaction, I had thoughts.  

* What on earth were they thinking?  What were they hoping would happen?  Well, this was a production for pride month.  They were celebrating what they consider their absolute victory.  Like a sports team who is a bad winner, and decide to pull up the goal posts and trash the buildings of the host school.  In their minds, they've so thoroughly won, that I doubt they gave a second thought to how their target would react.  In their minds, I'm guessing they figure the remnants of their defeated foe are only worth brushing aside with gleeful sarcasm.

* I remembered when I symbolically handed over the Scepter of Cultural Majority to my trans activist buddy a few years ago.  I told him, if he was bitter from all the years I held the scepter, I hoped he'd be the bigger person and use the scepter wisely.  I'm feeling a little let down at the actions of a few of our new cultural majority holders.

* Con-freaking-gratulations SFGMC.  You're divisive.  You've burned bridges.  You've increased animosity and decreased trust. You've done the opposite of show love and tolerance.  I hope you're happy.

* John Gottman, who studies feelings and trust and marriages and whatnot, has an interesting thing to say about contempt.  All cultures across the world have a certain facial expression which people will sometimes use when feeling contempt.  The left buccinator muscle activates, drawing up the left corner of the mouth.   So yeah, wasn't surprised to see this in the video:

image.png.2ede2aa45ba4f369e557b7636d2e2ae6.png

Edited by NeuroTypical

3 hours ago, LDSGator said:

Apparently the song was supposed to be a satire. It worked so well that people believed it, so it must have been good satire. 

3 hours ago, Godless said:

100%. The idea that there's a "gay agenda" to corrupt straight kids is so prominent in conservative circles that it's become a point of humor in the gay community.

What statements did they say that were not true?

Guest Godless
2 hours ago, The Folk Prophet said:

I don't believe this. It was an honest message that they obviously sincerely meant couched in a modicum of humor so they had a "it's satire" escape route when they got the criticism they knew they'd get. But it was not satire. They said what they meant and they meant what they said. They want to convert everyone to their idea of what love and tolerance is. That's what the lyrics said. And they mean it. 

I finally watched the full video (I was initially reacting to the snippet of lyrics the OP shared) and I agree. They used the "We'll convert your children" line for light-hearted shock value. But the overall message, which wasn't entirely clear in the lyrics posted above, is that the younger generation is becoming more accepting of LGBTQ lifestyles from an ally sense. I get that most people here will take issue with that, but I personally don't. Considering the pearl-clutching that happens any time non-hetero lifestyles are portrayed in even small ways in pop culture, I'd say there's still plenty of room for improvement in the tolerance area (and remember boys and girls, you can tolerate something without condoning it). 

14 minutes ago, Godless said:

there's still plenty of room for improvement in the tolerance area

Ezra Taft Benson

We live in an age of appeasement—the sacrificing of principle. Appeasement is not the answer. It is never the right answer...

Tolerance is not conformity to the world’s view and practices. We must not surrender our beliefs to get along with people, however beloved or influential they may be. Too high a price may be paid for social standing or even for harmony. …

And

Tolerance is a word valuable in the service of satan

18 minutes ago, Godless said:

Considering the pearl-clutching that happens any time non-hetero lifestyles are portrayed in even small ways in pop culture, I'd say there's still plenty of room for improvement in the tolerance area

I reviewed the first page of your link, and I did not see a single instance of pearl clutching. Perhaps you can link to what you think represents an instance of your claim.

19 minutes ago, Godless said:

Considering the pearl-clutching that happens any time non-hetero lifestyles are portrayed in even small ways in pop culture, I'd say there's still plenty of room for improvement in the tolerance area (and remember boys and girls, you can tolerate something without condoning it).

Does the video cited in this thread represent your side's "tolerance without condoning" for our side's views?

Guest Godless
17 minutes ago, Vort said:

I reviewed the first page of your link, and I did not see a single instance of pearl clutching. Perhaps you can link to what you think represents an instance of your claim.

This is the one that really stood out to me.

Screenshot_20210709-162329_Chrome.jpg

55 minutes ago, Godless said:

I finally watched the full video (I was initially reacting to the snippet of lyrics the OP shared) and I agree. They used the "We'll convert your children" line for light-hearted shock value. But the overall message, which wasn't entirely clear in the lyrics posted above, is that the younger generation is becoming more accepting of LGBTQ lifestyles from an ally sense. I get that most people here will take issue with that, but I personally don't. Considering the pearl-clutching that happens any time non-hetero lifestyles are portrayed in even small ways in pop culture, I'd say there's still plenty of room for improvement in the tolerance area (and remember boys and girls, you can tolerate something without condoning it). 

The problem is that what "it's okay to be gay" means in our world and in theirs is VERY different. As is on par for the course for the gay "activists". They coop language and then twist it. And conservatives acquiesce to the language usage and then wonder why they lose the culture again and again. (Language isn't the only weapon used...but it's a huge one.) This is more of the same. They're both twisting "we're coming for your children" from the negative implication that most people mean to a "positive" one for a laugh (which is SO creepy), and concurrently twist the meaning of "love and tolerance" to mean what they say it should in the same breath. Because, who, after all, is going to argue against the idea of love and tolerance?! So they win the war of words by twisting meanings. And it's part of the way that they do, indeed, come for the children.

I mean the core catchphrase of the agenda is a lie of words. "Love is love". It's a lie. They're not talking about love. They're talking about sex. The phrase should be "Sex is sex". At least then it'd be honest.

Edited by The Folk Prophet

35 minutes ago, Godless said:

This is the one that really stood out to me.

Not to be difficult, but it what sense that clutching one's pearls? @yjacket was not breathlessly saying, "Can you believe it? Well, I NEVER!" He was just expressing frustration at the moving goalposts of the pro-homosexuality lobby.

1 hour ago, Vort said:

Not to be difficult, but it what sense that clutching one's pearls? @yjacket was not breathlessly saying, "Can you believe it? Well, I NEVER!" He was just expressing frustration at the moving goalposts of the pro-homosexuality lobby.

I'd be even more difficult than that. What, pray tell, is wrong with clutching one's pearls. Like we're not meant to be shocked and upset by horrific event things because they're common place? Oh...so another kid on the block was gruesomely murdered. C'est la vie. No biggie.

Edited by The Folk Prophet