Remember when... "We just want equality"

NeedleinA

3 hours ago, Vort said:

The implication of the phrase is that the pearl clutcher is a hypocritical fraud, feigning pious shock solely for the purpose of showing moral outrage.

Ah. So the implication is that anyone's moral outrage at the idea the gays are actually openly coming for our children is just theater? We're all just pretending it's offensive? @Godless?

By the way Vort, the question was meant by way of a literal interpretation. Meaning I meant what's wrong with literally clutching your pearls, rather than the figurative meaning. Trying to make a point... but failed. 

Edited by The Folk Prophet

23 hours ago, LDSGator said:

Apparently the song was supposed to be a satire. It worked so well that people believed it, so it must have been good satire. 

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/san-francisco-gay-mens-chorus-soloists-received-death-threats-220837705.html

Good to know.  Usually I catch these things.  

Scenario:

• I don't have a very good relationship with another party, despite some sincere efforts on their part to establish a rapport.
  • I decide to make a video "tongue-in-cheek" mocking their beliefs and making veiled threats (tongue-in-cheek).
  • The other party doesn't react well.
  • I respond by saying, "Pffbbt!  It's not my fault you can't take a joke."

What kind of person am I here?  What kind of relations am I building here?

Edited by Carborendum

10 minutes ago, NeuroTypical said:

Whelp, they're doubling down.  They've put their video back up, and edited their comments.  I continue to worry that some unstable yahoo with no sense of irony or humor, will go off the deep end and someone will get hurt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArOQF4kadHA&t=2s

I worry about that too, but the odds are incredibly small. There are a ton of people out there that don’t have senses of humor or irony, and almost none of them turn to violence. That said, there is always that one guy out there who wants to pull the “White Knight” card. So you might be right. 

On 7/7/2021 at 10:05 PM, Vort said:

Aren't these the people invited to perform at Temple Square?

The Washington DC Gay Men’s Chorus was invited to perform at the DC Temple Visitor’s Center back in 2019.  I don’t believe they’re affiliated with the San Francisco chorus.  

On 7/9/2021 at 7:31 PM, Vort said:

The implication of the phrase is that the pearl clutcher is a hypocritical fraud, feigning pious shock solely for the purpose of showing moral outrage.

Hmm.  When I hear “pearl clutcher”, I think of someone who is sincere but whose motivations are irrational and whose responses are ineffectual.  

9 minutes ago, Just_A_Guy said:

Hmm.  When I hear “pearl clutcher”, I think of someone who is sincere but whose motivations are irrational and whose responses are ineffectual.  

I think of fussy church ladies who, like @NeuroTypical described, lack a sense of irony and do nothing other than nag others. Not being funny, being serious. They are the ones who report your memes to Facebook because they “don’t get it”. 

We all know those people-male and female-who try tell grown ups to floss, eat their spinach, don’t watch this or that movie like they have power and authority over you. That’s a pearl clutcher. 

Edited by LDSGator

4 minutes ago, LDSGator said:

I think of fussy church ladies who, like @NeuroTypical described, lack a sense of irony and do nothing other than nag others. Not being funny, being serious. They are the ones who report your memes to Facebook because they “don’t get it”. 

We all know those people-male and female-who try tell grown ups to floss, eat their spinach, don’t watch this or that movie like they have power and authority over you. That’s a pearl clutcher. 

I think of scene from Batman Begins when the thief grabs Martha's necklace. ;) 

7 minutes ago, dprh said:

I think of scene from Batman Begins when the thief grabs Martha's necklace. ;) 

Lol. 

I think of the church lady SNL skits. It’s funny because all of us know someone who fits the stereotype perfectly. 

Edited by LDSGator