Summer plans?

pam

4 hours ago, dprh said:

We did Independence Day weekend in Big Bear Lake, CA.  That was fun, our first time up there. 

I just started a new job this week, so no vacation for me for 3 months :(  My side of the family is having a reunion up at Bear Lake in UT (No relation to Big Bear).  My wife is debating on going with the kids or not since I can't make it. 

And just staying indoors as much as possible.  Southern NV in the summer is 🔥

I spent a week up at Big Bear in California a few years ago.  We rented a cabin that had a jacuzzi right in the right.  It was a lot of fun.  Did horseback riding, visited local businesses and restaurants, played horse shoes and just had a week of total relaxation.  The weather was perfect the entire time we were there.

4 hours ago, dprh said:

We did Independence Day weekend in Big Bear Lake, CA.  That was fun, our first time up there. 

I just started a new job this week, so no vacation for me for 3 months :(  My side of the family is having a reunion up at Bear Lake in UT (No relation to Big Bear).  My wife is debating on going with the kids or not since I can't make it. 

And just staying indoors as much as possible.  Southern NV in the summer is 🔥

I will be in Vegas for the first full week of August for a convention.  Definitely not looking forward to the heat.  

1 hour ago, pam said:

I will be in Vegas for the first full week of August for a convention.  Definitely not looking forward to the heat.  

Aw, little missy, let me tell you a little something about heat. I live in Redmond, Washington, where just a couple of weeks ago it was one hundred and eight degrees. ONE HUNDRED AND EIGHT DEGREES. You might complain about some little heat here or there, but let the voice of experience tell you that—

Wait a minute. Did you say Las Vegas? Like, Las Vegas, Nevada?

In August?

Never mind.

Edited by Vort

2 minutes ago, Vort said:

Aw, little missy, let me tell you a little something about heat. I live in Redmond, Washington, where just a couple of weeks ago it was one hundred and eight degrees. ONE HUNDRED AND EIGHT DEGREES. You might complain about some little heat here or there, but let the voice of experience tell you that—

In August?

Never mind.

Yes. THAT Las Vegas.  Hey I didn't pick the date.  It's usually in July there every year.  And it does get hot in Texas.  :)  

We’re heading up to Palmyra to not watch the Hill Cumorah Pageant. It’s my mom’s first time up here so we’ll hit the Smith houses and Sacred Grove, Palmyra Temple, Hill Cumorah, Alvin’s grave, and the Grandin Print Shop.

And the Whitmer Farm and the Aaronic Priesthood Restoration site.

Later in the summer I’m headed to Arizona to visit with my brother’s family.

15 minutes ago, pam said:

And it does get hot in Texas.

Yes, I know you think it gets hot where you live, but let the voice of experience tell you what HOT means. I live in Redmond, Washington, where it was ONE HUNDRED AND...

Wait a minute. Did you say "Texas"?

Never mind.

This temperature snobbery is not nearly as much fun as people said it would be.

11 minutes ago, mordorbund said:

We’re heading up to Palmyra to not watch the Hill Cumorah Pageant. It’s my mom’s first time up here so we’ll hit the Smith houses and Sacred Grove, Palmyra Temple, Hill Cumorah, Alvin’s grave, and the Grandin Print Shop.

And the Whitmer Farm and the Aaronic Priesthood Restoration site.

Later in the summer I’m headed to Arizona to visit with my brother’s family.

I would love to go to all of those historical places.  I love anything to do with history.

3 minutes ago, Vort said:

Yes, I know you think it gets hot where you live, but let the voice of experience tell you what HOT means. I live in Redmond, Washington, where it was ONE HUNDRED AND...

Wait a minute. Did you say "Texas"?

Never mind.

This temperature snobbery is not nearly as much fun as people said it would be.

At least I've got a/c.  The majority of people in the PNW couldn't say that during the temperature spree you had there.

10 hours ago, mordorbund said:

We’re heading up to Palmyra to not watch the Hill Cumorah Pageant.

Wait a minute... Did you say "Palmyra"?  In July? 

:P

I have one son entering the MTC in late August.  Waitaminute... did I say... :)

Another son is still working with paperwork for his mission.  Apparently, they're wondering about his mental health.  What?  My son?  Yeah.  So, it could be a problem.  We'll see what happens.

Edited by Carborendum

Summer plans include: 

- Go back to watching movies in theaters.

- Teach one, maybe two, kids how to drive.

- Try to help my whole worksite return to work and get back to the old old normal.

- Try to hold on to my basement home office. (Used to be wife's room, the deal was I could have it until COVID was over.  I don't wanna give it up.  May post updates from behind the barricades later IDK.)

3 minutes ago, NeuroTypical said:

Summer plans include: 

- Go back to watching movies in theaters.

- Try to help my whole worksite return to work and get back to the old old normal.

- Try to hold on to my basement home office. (Used to be wife's room, the deal was I could have it until COVID was over.  I don't wanna give it up.  May post updates from behind the barricades later IDK.)

Movie theaters were able to re-open last August here in Texas. 

The Cinergy chain re-opened for "Tenet". 

29 minutes ago, NeuroTypical said:

I taught three kids how to drive a stick already this summer.

I'm teaching a fourth one to drive, starting on the stick.  He just got his permit yesterday.

I also want to teach my wife to drive a stick.  But she's not all that motivated.

I would like to teach my older daughter, but she's on a mission now.

The last two are too young.

Edited by Carborendum

On 7/9/2021 at 3:19 PM, mikbone said:

Just lounging around the house.  We moved 30 min south to get out of the forest fire zone (last 5 years we were evacuated 3x for at least a week).  We found a Spanish style 40 year old home on the Sacramento River.

7BD6A498-D6D3-430D-BD99-3907914042C7.thumb.jpeg.9cd3809d31134bc1042a2dd4495c8d3f.jpeg

Sooo.... you're trying to make me jealous...

Well... it's working.  Dang, man.

On 7/8/2021 at 6:29 PM, Vort said:

In August?

Never mind.

@pam, wasn’t the last time anyone called you “missy” sometime during the Hoover administration?

On 7/9/2021 at 1:19 PM, mikbone said:

Just lounging around the house.  We moved 30 min south to get out of the forest fire zone (last 5 years we were evacuated 3x for at least a week).  We found a Spanish style 40 year old home on the Sacramento River.

7BD6A498-D6D3-430D-BD99-3907914042C7.thumb.jpeg.9cd3809d31134bc1042a2dd4495c8d3f.jpeg

I chose this weekend to visit my folks in Lodi.  They, too, have a pool; else I would be reconsidering my life choices right now.  :) 

On 7/8/2021 at 11:44 AM, Fether said:

I was asked the other day “did you love Hawaii or what!?”. My honest response was “I mean… not really, I am having just as much enjoyment here at work as I was there. There were definitely some cool things and it was beautiful… but I don’t love it any more than I love the every day grind”

That is awesome that you love your work that much.  I like my work but I love vacations a lot more.  After about a two or three weeks of vacation I am pretty sure I would be bored and want to go do more work again.

On 7/8/2021 at 11:58 AM, Vort said:

I'm hoping to enjoy Hawaii, but unlike Sister Vort, I'm not really a lie-on-the-beach-for-hours type of person. I'm sure I will enjoy being in Hawaii, but I'm secretly doubting that it will be The Greatest Experience Of My Lifetime. I'll be overjoyed if it makes the top ten.

I have no desire to visit Hawaii presently.  Caribbean Islands are also beautiful but way closer and less expensive.  I would rather visit there.