What Thinkest Thou of My Food Storage? Bad or Good?

Cool!   Yeah, I read a while ago about long-term food storage studies, wish I still had the links, like 20-30 different things were tested over a decade.  The result was most things remained safe to eat, although just about everything lost some nutritional value over time.  How much nutritional value depended on the type of food.  The bulk wheat and rice and dried beans barely lost anything, stuff stored hydrated lost more.  If there was water in it, stuff ended up breaking down a little, although it remained safe to eat. 

Things with fats and oils in it (including dry stuff like muffin mix), didn't fare as well, and spoiled more often.  

Bulging can = toss it.  Botulism is not your friend.  

The dates printed on the cans are government mandated based on bureaucracy rather than scientific method.  So, we really have no way of knowing how long they will last.

If you have old food storage, it may be a good idea to rotate it.  But if you're in dire straits and it's a question of starving vs taking a chance on canned food, I'd just trust my nose and do what I had to do.

18 hours ago, Carborendum said:

The dates printed on the cans are government mandated based on bureaucracy rather than scientific method. 

Not really.  Infant formula is the only type of food that federal regulations mandate dating.  All the other dates are set by the food manufacturers, pretty much willy-nilly with no regulation, a combination of "don't lie or we'll fine you", "stuff'll start spoiling after this date", and "marketing tells us this date will help us sell the most".

https://www.fsis.usda.gov/food-safety/safe-food-handling-and-preparation/food-safety-basics/food-product-dating

Except for infant formula, product dating is not required by Federal regulations.

For meat, poultry, and egg products under the jurisdiction of the Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS), dates may be voluntarily applied provided they are labeled in a manner that is truthful and not misleading and in compliance with FSIS regulations. To comply, a calendar date must express both the month and day of the month. In the case of shelf-stable and frozen products, the year must also be displayed. Additionally, immediately adjacent to the date must be a phrase explaining the meaning of that date such as "Best if Used By."

If you have old food storage, it may be a good idea to rotate it. 

The wisest sorts of food storage, is where folks store what they eat, and eat what they store.  It sounds appealing to have a bunch of #10 cans of beans and boxes of MREs for "when you need it".  But you know what happens when you need it, and you're forced to suddenly change your diet to totally new stuff?   Gastrointestinal distress isn't fun, especially when you're trying to run from the zombies.  

But if you're in dire straits and it's a question of starving vs taking a chance on canned food, I'd just trust my nose and do what I had to do.

Again, botulism is not your friend.  https://ask.usda.gov/s/article/Do-foods-containing-botulism-have-a-bad-odor-or-taste

Growth of Clostridium botulinum in food may cause container lids to bulge and cause foods to have a bad odor. Commercial or home-canned food products with bulging lids or a bad odor should not be eaten. However, botulism has also been associated with foods that smell and taste normal; therefore, the smell and taste of food should not be used to determine if it is contaminated. Never taste food to determine its safety.