Secret Combinations

Traveler

10 minutes ago, Traveler said:

Is there any students of the Book of Mormon that doubts the proclivity of evidence of politicians that are connected to and protecting the activities of "Secret Combinations?

The Traveler

Yup. Me. I believe in the BOM but I’m highly skeptical of mass conspiracies. I believe that most politicians, even the ones I disagree with strongly, are not part of a secret organization to destroy the world 

14 minutes ago, LDSGator said:

Yup. Me. I believe in the BOM but I’m highly skeptical of mass conspiracies. I believe that most politicians, even the ones I disagree with strongly, are not part of a secret organization to destroy the world 

That is not the only, or even the primary, meaning of "secret combination".

18 hours ago, Vort said:

That is not the only, or even the primary, meaning of "secret combination".

People who doubt secret combinations only need to look at what has been revealed about Big Tobacco.  They did not want to destroy the world, they simply wanted to have power over it.  They lied about the product they sold, they had 'scientists' and politicians on their payroll.  The only way they were brought to light was that the 'kooks' and 'extremist' did not shut up, in spite of pressure Big Tobacco applied to them.

Now a days we are seeing this exact same pressure being applied to those being labelled as 'kooks' and 'extremist' and it is concerning.  Not because every 'kooks' and 'extremist' right but rather we are not being allowed to decide for ourselves that whom are 'kooks and 'extremist'  whom might have a point.

The concept of an “anti-Christ” is understood by many Christians to mean there will be one big bad anti-Christ that will will have to fight against. In reality, there will be many that take on that role.

It is similar with secret combinations. It’s not one giant conspiracy of politicians coming together to destroy men. But rather a bunch of small and individual secret plans to exploit men and take them from God.

From the Introduction of the Book of Mormon:

The Book of Mormon is a volume of holy scripture comparable to the Bible.  It is a record of God's dealing with ancient inhabitants of the Americas and contains the fulness of the everlasting gospel.

The book was written by many ancient prophets by the spirit of prophecy and revelation.

From President Ezra Taft Benson in a General Conference address:

Each of the major writers of the Book of Mormon testified that he wrote for future generations. … If they saw our day and chose those things which would be of greatest worth to us, is not that how we should study the Book of Mormon? We should constantly ask ourselves, “Why did the Lord inspire Mormon (or Moroni or Alma) to include that in his record? What lesson can I learn from that to help me live in this day and age?”

When the Book of Mormon was abridged, Mormon took those things he thought/was inspired, as most profitable to us.  This includes the book of Ether. 

The heading for Ether 8:

There is strife and contention over the kingdom—Akish forms an oath-bound secret combination to slay the king—Secret combinations are of the devil and result in the destruction of nations—Modern Gentiles are warned against the secret combination that will seek to overthrow the freedom of all lands, nations, and countries.

The chapter tells us the story of Akish and his rise to power using murder and Secret Combinations.

Moroni proceeds to tell us about the horrors of Secret Combinations.  In verses 23-26 he is speaking to us.  The modern church members.  Take particular note of verse 24.

23 Wherefore, O ye Gentiles, it is wisdom in God that these things should be shown unto you, that thereby ye may repent of your sins, and suffer not that these murderous combinations shall get above you, which are built up to get apower and gain—and the work, yea, even the work of bdestruction come upon you, yea, even the sword of the justice of the Eternal God shall fall upon you, to your overthrow and destruction if ye shall suffer these things to be.

24 Wherefore, the Lord commandeth you, when ye shall see these things come among you that ye shall awake to a sense of your awful situation, because of this asecret combination which shall be among you; or wo be unto it, because of the blood of them who have been slain; for they cry from the dust for vengeance upon it, and also upon those who built it up.

25 For it cometh to pass that whoso buildeth it up seeketh to overthrow the afreedom of all lands, nations, and countries; and it bringeth to pass the destruction of all people, for it is built up by the devil, who is the father of all lies; even that same liar who bbeguiled our first parents, yea, even that same liar who hath caused man to commit murder from the beginning; who hath chardened the hearts of men that they have dmurdered the prophets, and stoned them, and cast them out from the beginning.

26 Wherefore, I, Moroni, am commanded to write these things that evil may be done away, and that the time may come that Satan may have ano power upon the hearts of the children of men, but that they may be bpersuaded to do good continually, that they may come unto the fountain of all crighteousness and be saved.

It dumbfounds me the lengths members of the LDS church will go to write off the dangers of modern SC's in our world.  

6 hours ago, mirkwood said:

It dumbfounds me the lengths members of the LDS church will go to write off the dangers of modern SC's in our world.  

1 hour ago, Jedi_Nephite said:

Especially when modern events perfectly parallel SCs from the Book of Mormon.

I’ve been preaching about the danger South Carolina posed to the church for years now