"For I gave them to another"

mikbone

From this week's CFM

Doctrine and Covenants 81 is a revelation to Brother Gause, instructing him in his new calling and promising him blessings for serving faithfully. But Jesse Gause did not serve faithfully. So Frederick G. Williams was called to replace him, and Brother Gause’s name was replaced with Brother Williams’s name in the revelation.

I was reflecting on how often this occurs within the Gospel, and whether it is a good thing.  And, is it ok for me to pit my children against each other for my blessings?

Parable of the Talents Matthew 25: 14-30

Firstborn blessing going to Issac, Jacob, Ephraim, and Manassah

Ephriam.png.a7ad4af70959561dd44d9de3f8d4be45.png

D&C 132:39

What think ye?

Edited by mikbone

48 minutes ago, mikbone said:

From this week's CFM

Doctrine and Covenants 81 is a revelation to Brother Gause, instructing him in his new calling and promising him blessings for serving faithfully. But Jesse Gause did not serve faithfully. So Frederick G. Williams was called to replace him, and Brother Gause’s name was replaced with Brother Williams’s name in the revelation.

I was reflecting on how often this occurs within the Gospel, and whether it is a good thing.  And, is it ok for me to pit my children against each other for my blessings?

What think ye?

I suggest this is a mischaracterization of what occurred. Brothers Williams and Gause were not in competition with each other. Rather, Williams picked up the burden that Gause lost due to faithlessness. I find it interesting and maybe a little bit funny that Brother Williams went through the original paper copy of the revelation, literally striking out Gause's name and replacing it with his own. That's taking the admonition to apply scripture unto oneself very seriously.

The same is true with the parable of the talents. The trustees were not in competition with each other, but the slothful servant's assignment was taken from him and given to one who had demonstrated his ability. To me, this sounds like living the law of consecration under a sort of united order, which is the polar opposite of competition.

As for Isaac, Jacob and Esau, Ephraim, and Manassah, those events are not presented in a positive light, but as subterfuge. Lessons of eternal truths may have been drawn from the occurrences, but the happenings themselves seem to me more like ancient middle eastern family intrigues. I gather that such things were not uncommon.

Edited by Vort

21 minutes ago, Vort said:

I find it interesting and maybe a little bit funny that Brother Williams went through the original paper copy of the revelation, literally striking out Gause's name and replacing it with his own. That's taking the admonition to apply scripture unto oneself very seriously.

https://www.josephsmithpapers.org/paper-summary/revelation-15-march-1832-dc-81/1#historical-intro

Looks like we are not sure who actually crossed out Gause's name and replaced it with William's.  Looks like some pretty informed brethren thought that Oliver Cowdery did the deed. 

Not sure that I mischaracterized what occurred.  Possibly my flippant question about pitting my children against each other?  Sometimes I write things to get a response...

D&C 132: 39 David’s wives and concubines were given unto him of me, by the hand of Nathan, my servant, and others of the prophets who had the keys of this power; and in none of these things did he sin against me save in the case of Uriah and his wife; and, therefore he hath fallen from his exaltation, and received his portion; and he shall not inherit them out of the world, for I gave them unto another, saith the Lord.

The above is my point.  The Lord gives us blessings.  If we do not live up to our responsibilities and fall from our exaltation those blessings go elsewhere.

Abraham 3: 25 And we will prove them herewith, to see if they will do all things whatsoever the Lord their God shall command them;

I love this statement.

David Bednar - We Will Prove Them Herewith (October 2020 Sat Morning Session)

4 hours ago, mikbone said:

From this week's CFM

What think ye?

I have pondered why in scripture when two brothers have contended for the birthright from their father that it always went to the younger (second); never the oldest "first" born?

The Traveler

Edited by Traveler

8 hours ago, mikbone said:

From this week's CFM

What think ye?

I don't think I am fully comprehending what you see as "how often this occurs within the Gospel." In reference to the Doctrine and Covenants example this appears to be evidence toward faithfulness and righteousness vs. unfaithfulness and wickedness. If this is what you are meaning, then this probably happens all the time. This coincides with how blessing are predicated by obedience to the laws and ordinances (covenants) of the Gospel.

I do not like the word "pit" -- personally -- when dealing with my children. Pit would be something the adversary would do, not someone who is supposed to be perfect in all attributes. Pit is something the "natural man" loves because then at the end they can boast of their strength, boast of their knowledge, boast of their work, and how it was due to "their" work that they are blessed, and their brother is not -- obviously because he lost. It assumes the one that loses then was less faithful, less righteous, and less worthy when in reality they both may be faithful, righteous, and worthy. The result will then allow the adversary to tempt and entice the loser of how unworthy, unloved, and unfaithful he/she is by the father. Do we want any of our children to feel unloved, unworthy, or unfaithful because of some "lame" experience we give them against each other? I don't think this is the action of a perfect, loving, and merciful Father in heaven.

The parable of the talents is definitely something we see, and depending on how a person defines "talents" the meaning changes. We have brothers/sisters who were born with 5 talents (in the covenant) but have loved the world more than they have loved God. The talents they have are lost, rejected, due to the love and fear they have for men rather than God.

We definitely see the meaning and interpretation of the talents with the brothers mentioned in Doctrine and Covenants, and how one lost his blessing and it was given to another.

This is one I do find interesting, and not sure the result. I'm not sure how it was right for Jacob to do what he did to his brother, Esau. Esau appears to have had hard feelings toward Jacob such that Jacob even feared his life when he met with Esau. Whereas with Nephi and Laman, the scriptures are plain and clear as to why Nephi was given stewardship and why Laman, Lemuel, and Sam did not receive it. It could easily be that these were some of the plain and precious truths that were removed overtime from the story of Jacob and Esau. I would argue though that God the Father did not "pit" Jacob against Esau. If anything it is the natural man that pits itself against their brothers/sisters.

The only thing I can think of with Manasseh and Ephraim is that Joseph received the birthright which is passed down to the sons. In that regard, how the blessing was passed was subject to God, which is how it should be.

To whom much is given, much is required and he who sins against the greater light receives the greater condemnation. David was given much Light, sinned against much Light, and as a result he lost what was given/received.

Edited by Anddenex

13 hours ago, Anddenex said:

I do not like the word "pit" -- personally -- when dealing with my children. Pit would be something the adversary would do, not someone who is supposed to be perfect in all attributes. Pit is something the "natural man" loves because then at the end they can boast of their strength, boast of their knowledge, boast of their work, and how it was due to "their" work that they are blessed, and their brother is not -- obviously because he lost.

From our perspective Heavenly Father’s motivation is love and respect for life.

I would venture that Lucifer and his host, as well many of our brethren do not share those same thoughts and feelings.