Where Are All the White-American NBA Superstars?

clbent04

5 minutes ago, Vort said:

He's six one and is only one dunker. We aren't speaking about elites from all races, but averages. If you can show me a top ten of white males under 5'9" dunking as in the video given I would be happy to view it. But here is one of the best dunkers in the world.

Edited by Anddenex

1 hour ago, Anddenex said:

He's six one and is only one dunker. We aren't speaking about elites from all races, but averages. If you can show me a top ten of white males under 5'9" dunking as in the video given I would be happy to view it. But here is one of the best dunkers in the world.

Are you sure you want to walk down this path? (Hint: You don't.) When we start talking about performance in various areas and insisting that they are genetically based, we open a veritable Pandora's Box of controversy. Unless you are willing to face the implications of such a discussion and deal rationally with the fallout, you're better off avoiding the whole thing.

It has always been interesting to me what we call race.  Most blacks in the USA are genetically mixed along with everybody else.  It is not uncommon for white - blond blue eyed (Danish)  individuals like myself to have some percentage of Neanderthal genes. Having checked my genetic ancestry - it shows that I am less than 40% true Danish.  

Those that think in strict terms of race do so with a great deal of illusions and ignorance.

The Traveler

@Anddenex I'll spare you having to watch the whole video and give you the cliff notes - no scientific evidence that black people have superior physical genetics, Ted talk researcher concludes Africans have the fastest running times due to the higher physical activity and conditioning that comes with it from living in Africa.

17 minutes ago, clbent04 said:

@Anddenex I'll spare you having to watch the whole video and give you the cliff notes - no scientific evidence that black people have superior physical genetics, Ted talk researcher concludes Africans have the fastest running times due to the higher physical activity and conditioning that comes with it from living in Africa.

I'm trying to figure out how this applies to the performance of Americans of African vs European descent?  Do African-Americans have an inherited culture of running more often and for longer distances?

I'm definitely no geneticist, but I have two sons that we've had to get some genetic tests done for.  My impression is that there is still a whole lot that we don't understand about how they work, particularly when multiple genes are involved.  I wonder about his conclusion that because they didn't find a genetic reason means that there isn't one.  I do agree that the other factors he talks about, MVA, etc, contribute to the improved athlete's performance.  I'm just not convinced we can write genetics out completely. 

I keep hearing people talk about America being "stolen land."  Almost all countries have the same history.  Someone else conquered the people and took the land and made the other people subject to them.  Those other peoples also probably "stole the land" from another people in the past. 

No America is not an evil country because someone else took the land from another people.  And no I do not believe in giving all the land in the United States back to Native Americans.  We need to find other solutions to our current problems rather than blaming the bad "white settlers" of the past.

9 hours ago, clbent04 said:

I don't mean to burst his bubble but it isn't just Africans from Africa. Look at the United States. How does this fit into his ideas?

14 hours ago, Vort said:

Are you sure you want to walk down this path? (Hint: You don't.) When we start talking about performance in various areas and insisting that they are genetically based, we open a veritable Pandora's Box of controversy. Unless you are willing to face the implications of such a discussion and deal rationally with the fallout, you're better off avoiding the whole thing.

So, that is a no then on providing a top ten of white males under 5'9" who can dunk with authority. Notice the topic of the OP -- NBA -- which is basketball. If you want to entertain the rabbit hole of genetics on all other aspects you will be entertaining that alone. If you want to continue to the discussion regarding the topic of the OP -- NBA -- basketball. We can continue further once you have shown me the video.

Edited by Anddenex

14 hours ago, Traveler said:

It has always been interesting to me what we call race.  Most blacks in the USA are genetically mixed along with everybody else.  It is not uncommon for white - blond blue eyed (Danish)  individuals like myself to have some percentage of Neanderthal genes. Having checked my genetic ancestry - it shows that I am less than 40% true Danish.  

Those that think in strict terms of race do so with a great deal of illusions and ignorance.

The Traveler

It is not uncommon either for a Caucasian, like me, to be 4% African American. My father's blood DNA test resulted in 92% European Caucasian and 8% African American. It's probably why I could jump. ;)

7 hours ago, Anddenex said:

I don't mean to burst his bubble but it isn't just Africans from Africa. Look at the United States. How does this fit into his ideas?

I’m relating it to the notion that a good percentage of the impoverished black communities in America buy in to the idea that their only way out of the ghetto is by sports or a career in rap, and they simply spend more time practicing and playing ball than others based on limited options. Similar to what @Fether was suggesting earlier.  Not my favorite theory, but it makes more sense to me than the superior genetics argument.