Queer Mormon Theology Book?

person0

Is anyone familiar with this new book?  A member in my area posted this and it has me worried about the material and beliefs that seem to be infiltrating the Church unchecked.

I believe we should love all our brothers and sisters, regardless of their background.  That love leads us to share the truth and the Gospel of Christ.  Christ will then enable them to overcome the world, through His infinite Atonement.  This can lead us all to deny ourselves of all ungodliness, in the myriad forms it manifests throughout our mortal sojourn.

The quote shared in the attached image seems to directly subvert the eternal truths declared in the Family Proclamation.  Am I misreading it, or misunderstanding something?  Members of my ward have asked for copies of this book, and I can't imagine it will lead them toward Christ.  Is anyone here familiar with it and/or what the author's intent and teaching is?  My initial impression is that the title itself identifies it as a book that 'teaches a different gospel'.

[Image Removed]

Edited by person0

24 minutes ago, person0 said:

Is anyone familiar with this new book?  A member in my area posted this and it has me worried about the material and beliefs that seem to be infiltrating the Church unchecked.

This is the first I've heard about the book.   But I'm vaguely aware of the author:

Blaire Ostler is a philosopher specialized in queer studies, and is a leading voice at the intersection of queer, Mormon, and transhumanist thought. She is the author of “Queer Mormon Theology: An Introduction.” She is also a board member and podcaster at Sunstone, and former CEO and board member at the Mormon Transhumanist Association.

I had to google 'transhumanism'.  Better living through human enhancement technologies?  Hokay.  I suppose Blaire figures given enough technology, trans men can father children, and trans women can ovulate and stuff.  I've been reading good sci-fi for four decades, and this is as good as any I suppose.

25 minutes ago, NeuroTypical said:

I've been reading good sci-fi for four decades, and this is as good as any I suppose.

Any thoughts on the fact that members are reading and spreading this material, or the statement or quote from the image?

12 minutes ago, person0 said:

Any thoughts on the fact that members are reading and spreading this material, or the statement or quote from the image?

Ignore it. I’ll guess that less than 5% of LDS know this cat even exists. Heck, I’m a socially liberal LDS and I had to Google them.

Out of those 5%, a grand total maybe 100 of them will read this book. Their influence is minimal.

51 minutes ago, person0 said:

Meh.  The quoted statement buys into the idea that just because we currently are a certain way, means that that’s the way we eternally should and must be.

A five minutes’ refresher on the Fall and Atonement should straighten out any Church member who isn’t out to rationalize their own sexual profligacy.

My first thoughts on reading the quote you provided is that dusk is a transition to darkness and dawn is something less than a day and far darker than the day. I think the author could have, and should have come up with a better analogy as the analogy she has used seems to be somewhat derogatory. 

3 hours ago, person0 said:

Sure. 
Look at the author, who is she and what are some of the things she actually stands for? Are they in harmony with the gospel and are they going to draw readers closer or further to the Savior and his Church?
Some already dangerous and inharmonious opinions from the author:

This is meant to illustrate there is real harm in the patriarchal governance of the LDS Church

and 

It has been over 20 years since my father’s excommunication, and our family is still healing from the trauma. For me, part of that healing processes is ordaining women to the priesthood. Women cannot receive the fullness of the gospel and full participation of the LDS community without it

If people are willing to voluntarily consume her content, then they shouldn't be surprised when they eventually find themselves with damaged testimonies. 
This is a "You are what you eat" concept. 

Edited by NeedleinA

On 8/1/2021 at 4:51 PM, NeuroTypical said:

so, has this thread given you enough material to post back?

I was never intending to respond to the person who shared it publicly on Facebook.  That said, this thread has somewhat disappointed me in the responses.  It seems no one else is concerned about the fact that this type of material is infiltrating the Church. It doesn't seem to be locally or minimally confined.

My Ward is very woke, including our Bishop and his wife, EQP and his wife, etc.  One of our young women recently started asking our children to use male pronouns and started going by only the traditionally male portion of her name.  I am genuinely concerned about the way these things are impacting the membership and the fact that there has yet to be any clear direction from higher ups.  Thankfully, a high counselor has brought this up to our Stake President today with the hope if obtaining further guidance.

I suppose I thought people here would share in my concern and grief.  That said, perhaps I didn't give enough information in the original post.

Edited by person0

17 minutes ago, person0 said:

It seems no one else is concerned about the fact that this type of material is infiltrating the Church. 

I am very concerned about it, and have been - sorry I didn't expressly say... I think that book and it bleeding into the Church is a bunch of horse crap, it is.
I am saddened by it all and by those woke members especially in leadership. 
You may have missed the Queer sister thread from about 3 months ago... many of us expressed our concerns then, this thread is just another example of the turd brownies we are being fed lately.

Edited by NeedleinA

The book is filth. It was not written to actually help anyone, but to create angst and foster division. The author will hide behind the guise of "love", "compassion", "tolerance", and "understanding". If this person is a member of the church, they likely won't be for much longer. Publishing a book talking about theology that differs from that of the church is an excellent way to be shown the door...they are practically daring the church to oust them. It is nothing but foul lies meant to further hurt those who are already struggling. Some of the BS in there is dangerous, and will canker our impressionable youth and members more than any disease ever could. There is no such thing as a "non-binary spirit", period. Those who openly teach such lies would not be allowed anywhere near my children, and I would have zero problem openly rebuking them in front of other ward members for doing so in a classroom setting. Everyone should stick to the scriptures and words of modern day prophets who have already given much wise counsel regarding those who deal with same sex attraction.

I have heard people argue very intensely, and in perfect seriousness, for the development of faster-than-light travel. The little fact that the universe doesn't work that way seems not to faze them, even a little. Reality is merely an intellectual construct, you see. It's all in how you look at it. Mind over matter. A mother can lift a burning car off her child, so that proves it.

Some people simply prefer to live in their own fantasy, whether that fantasy involves faster-than-light travel, fairies bringing buckets of gold, or God smiling upon and sanctifying homosexual unions. Ignore such people. Teach your children to ignore them. That's probably the best thing you can do.

Of course, always speak up for the truths of the gospel. Never knowingly allow others to portray falsehoods and sinful behavior as sanctified actions. But I'm sure you already do this. As for the rest, recognize it for what it is and leave such filth behind you. If it doesn't touch you and doesn't touch those you love, then it's not immediately relevant for you, and you can rest easy.

Edited by Vort

I remain conflicted.  As I understand the Gospel of Jesus Christ there is a way for all of us to repent and have our sins forgiven.  I also understand that repentance is seldom a quick solution but often takes an individual time to complete the process.  I am very aware that I have my own issues for which I must still repent.  I am also aware that it is very likely that there are lost sheep that are lost in the wilderness of LGBTQ+.  We are charged with going out into that wilderness to bring the lost sheep back to the fold.  Some of us have sung a hymn about this very thing at our sacred Sabbath meetings.   I am very conflicted on how to go about doing this.

I have observed both during my own full time mission and in serving in many callings that seldom will a lost sheep return to the fold without the tender compassion of someone that loves them and sees them as a child of G-d.  I also sense some urgency in bringing back any lost sheep to the fold.  And yet I have been quite unsuccessful with the lost sheep in the LGBTQ+ wilderness (desert if we reference the song).  I think my problem is an effort to make it clear that they must repent before I will love them into returning because I struggle with loving them as Jesus does.

The Traveler

8 hours ago, Vort said:

Of course, always speak up for the truths of the gospel. Never knowingly allow others to portray falsehoods and sinful behavior as sanctified actions. 

Indeed.

Though argument does not create conviction, the lack of it destroys belief. What seems to be proved may not be embraced; but what no one shows the ability to defend is quickly abandoned. Rational argument does not create belief, but it maintains a climate in which belief may flourish."
-Austin Farrer, "The Christian Apologist" 

• 1 year later...
On 8/2/2021 at 12:45 AM, scottyg said:

The book is filth. It was not written to actually help anyone, but to create angst and foster division. The author will hide behind the guise of "love", "compassion", "tolerance", and "understanding". If this person is a member of the church, they likely won't be for much longer. Publishing a book talking about theology that differs from that of the church is an excellent way to be shown the door...they are practically daring the church to oust them. It is nothing but foul lies meant to further hurt those who are already struggling. Some of the BS in there is dangerous, and will canker our impressionable youth and members more than any disease ever could. There is no such thing as a "non-binary spirit", period. Those who openly teach such lies would not be allowed anywhere near my children, and I would have zero problem openly rebuking them in front of other ward members for doing so in a classroom setting. Everyone should stick to the scriptures and words of modern day prophets who have already given much wise counsel regarding those who deal with same sex attraction.
Generally, Mormons believe in the Book of Mormon as God-inspired scripture. The Queer Mormon Theological Book claims that its author received revelations from God that expand upon the knowledge presented in the Book of Mormon. I still want to study this issue in more detail, but first I'm on the path of federalism, I found a lot of information https://www.studydriver.com/federalism/ here. I might do the same with this book. I also know that anyone who wishes to study this book must independently and consciously take responsibility for their beliefs and actions based on this book.

Thank you for the detailed explanation
Edited by tomasgreenro

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/23/2023 at 1:14 PM, zil2 said:

I miss @person0 and @NeedleinA:(

On 4/23/2023 at 6:19 PM, Vort said:

Indeed. We haven't heard from @person0 in a couple of months, and from @NeedleinA in . . . a year and a half? Seriously?

On 4/23/2023 at 8:29 PM, askandanswer said:

Perhaps @NeedleinA has gone missing...., perhaps in a haystack? And a @person0 has gone looking for him?

Feels good to know I've been missed!  I uh, guess I've just been a bit sidetracked, lol.  The thought just came to mind to check in.

26 minutes ago, Grunt said:

I'm in your neighborhood this week.

Awesome!  If you have time and want to meet up for lunch or stop by to meet the family, just shoot me a direct message and we'll make it happen.