Disney wokeness

NeuroTypical

Dang, I miss the days when I was the only person who saw radical social re-engineering coming from Disney.  

Here is the recent muppet babies cross dressing episode, where Gonzo plays the part of Cinderella.  He has to leave the fancy ball at cake o’clock because his dress will disappear, and his friends will find out it was him, and they’ll be mad, because knights shouldn’t dress that way, only princesses.  When everyone finds out the glass sneaker fits, and Gonzo was really Gonzorella, they all celebrate by throwing out the rule book for knights and princesses, so anyone can show up to the fancy ball wearing whatever they want.  Hooray!

Upfront-I’m an annual passholder who loves Disney. 

Yes, Disney has embraced the cultural left to some degree. But, to be fair, there are still a ton of liberals who complain about how Disney treats employees, how Disney is so into making money, how they have perpetuate a negative stereotype of women and so on. There really is no difference between the hard right and hard left, though they’ll never admit it or see it. They all get to the same conclusions here for different reasons. Fascinating, really. 

Haters gonna hate. Disney can’t satisfy either side. They won’t ban gays from entering the park and they :: gasp ::expect employees to you know, actually work how they agreed to work.  

However, the overwhelming majority of us can put that stuff aside and still enjoy the parks. So Disney will keep chugging along just fine. Whatever boycott you see against them (or, against the NFL, cough cough) will be as useless as your or I challenging Canelo Alvarez to a boxing match. 

Edited by LDSGator

There's a bit of a difference in refusing to ban people from parks for being gay, and producing children's entertainment basically training kids how to crossdress without it being awkward.  Dontcha think?

Yes, Disney is a soulless corporation, solely invested in making bucks.  It, and so many other businesses, have concluded that radical social woketivism is a good way to do that.  They're right, it is.  This is a thread about how corporations have recognized an extreme radical change in culture.  It's not just harping on Disney.

Just now, NeuroTypical said:

Dontcha think?

Oh of course, just demonstrating absurdity by being absurd. Mega Ditto. 

1 minute ago, NeuroTypical said:

It, and so many other businesses, have concluded that radical social woketivism is a good way to do that.  They're right, it is.  

Agree 100%. 

3 minutes ago, NeuroTypical said:

This is a thread about how corporations have recognized an extreme radical change in culture.  It's not just harping on Disney.

Oh okay, sorry for misreading. 

I still don't buy or wear Nike products.  How many years now @JustAGuy?  I believe you were the one who said I would remember years down the road that Nike gave money to a guy who gave money to a cop killer?  I have some other things to say about Nike, but @pam would have to ban/infract me.

14 minutes ago, mirkwood said:

I still don't buy or wear Nike products.  How many years now @JustAGuy?  I believe you were the one who said I would remember years down the road that Nike gave money to a guy who gave money to a cop killer?  I have some other things to say about Nike, but @pam would have to ban/infract me.

I do support your personal right to boycott whatever you’d like. 100%. 

My issue is when people think their boycott will bring said company to it’s knees. It won’t.

2 hours ago, LDSGator said:

I do support your personal right to boycott whatever you’d like. 100%. 

My issue is when people think their boycott will bring said company to it’s knees. It won’t.

Sometimes, it isn't just about bringing a company to its knees. I boycotted a particular fast food chain because of my abhorrence for their commercials. I knew my 3 or 4 times/year spending $10 wouldn't do a dang thing to their company, but I felt better for not giving them my money. 

8 minutes ago, beefche said:

Sometimes, it isn't just about bringing a company to its knees. I boycotted a particular fast food chain because of my abhorrence for their commercials. I knew my 3 or 4 times/year spending $10 wouldn't do a dang thing to their company, but I felt better for not giving them my money. 

This.

I did a strange thing about six months or a year ago. I've always enjoyed Fleetwood Mac for their musicality and Stevie Nicks for her awesome voice. I read an interview in which Nicks said something to the effect that her fans should be glad about the abortion she had, because if not for that, she would not have made the music she made. My perception of her music changed. From then on, her music became, in effect, blood money, with her baby as the human sacrifice that enabled her music career.

I have not listened to Stevie Nicks since then. I have removed her songs from my collection and given away my Nicks and Fleetwood Mac CDs. I do not pretend that this will have the least little effect on Nicks, Fleetwood Mac, the music industry, or society in general. But my point was never to punish Stevie Nicks. My point was to protect myself from enjoying the fruits of evil actions. Insofar as I can reasonably avoid doing so, I will not profit from blood money.

3 hours ago, mirkwood said:

Come on say it say it.  I've been looking for an excuse.  :P   

3 hours ago, beefche said:

Whatever works. Absolutely your choice of course. 

The problem is you cannot boycott everything. And everything is evil and "woke". So it's actually really tough. I cancelled Disney+. I cancelled Netflix. Now I only have Amazon Prime. Are they one iota better? No. (I have them for the other benefits...but they promote evil garbage on their streaming service too. And they're a terrible, evil company....)  So....cancel everyone? How and where do I buy stuff then? Is Walmart one bit better? Obviously with certain things you can hunt and find companies that support your ideals. But there aren't many of them overall. I won't buy Nike either. They are particularly egregious. I also, no matter where I go with my choices, am MAD AS STINK at Disney. Disney isn't just woke. It's a full on betrayal!!! And it's a direct attack on our families. Direct! I hate them! (I feel comfortable hating a company, whereas I wouldn't an individual.) ;)

I hate Disney the most because I loved them so much.

19 minutes ago, The Folk Prophet said:

The problem is you cannot boycott everything

Correct. I remember being in catechism classes at my first college. Someone would always say they didn’t want to be touched by sin and they’d live “off grid” because then they’d be free from supporting evil companies that support “x”. When told that building their homes/cars/clothes from literally nothing would he difficult, they’d just stare at you. 

43 minutes ago, LDSGator said:

Correct. I remember being in catechism classes at my first college. Someone would always say they didn’t want to be touched by sin and they’d live “off grid” because then they’d be free from supporting evil companies that support “x”. When told that building their homes/cars/clothes from literally nothing would he difficult, they’d just stare at you. 

Maybe because they believe in Ex Nihilo creation, so it's not a problem.

On 8/12/2021 at 10:50 AM, The Folk Prophet said:

The problem is you cannot boycott everything. And everything is evil and "woke". So it's actually really tough. I cancelled Disney+. I cancelled Netflix. Now I only have Amazon Prime. Are they one iota better? No. (I have them for the other benefits...but they promote evil garbage on their streaming service too. And they're a terrible, evil company....)  So....cancel everyone? How and where do I buy stuff then? Is Walmart one bit better? Obviously with certain things you can hunt and find companies that support your ideals. But there aren't many of them overall. I won't buy Nike either. They are particularly egregious. I also, no matter where I go with my choices, am MAD AS STINK at Disney. Disney isn't just woke. It's a full on betrayal!!! And it's a direct attack on our families. Direct! I hate them! (I feel comfortable hating a company, whereas I wouldn't an individual.) ;)

I hate Disney the most because I loved them so much.

Good News.

Walt and Roy have both been dead for many years.

Roy E. has been dead for over a decade.

Those who lead Disney today are not the Disney's of yesteryear.

The things that were made by the Disney's can still be appreciated today (I have a shelf full of the movies) without ever even subscribing to their Disney services if one wants...at least for now (my wife worries at times that some day physical media will no longer exist for those who want such things with how they are going in the world today with streaming media, tablets, apps, and everything else seeming to gain more and more traction over physically held material).

5 hours ago, JohnsonJones said:

Good News.

Walt and Roy have both been dead for many years.

Roy E. has been dead for over a decade.

Those who lead Disney today are not the Disney's of yesteryear.

I am not a fan of the Disney of yesteryear. 

On 8/23/2021 at 10:11 AM, LDSGator said:

What Disney era do you like? Totally curious, nothing more. 

Well my very favorite Disney animation movie is Moana. I love Tangled too. I love a lot of the Pixar stuff.

I am definitely a fan of the Marvel stuff -- for the most part. I'm also a fan of some of the early "Disney Renaissance" stuff (Little Mermaid, and Beauty and the Beast in particular).

I respect the Walt and Roy years stuff, of course. Most of the stuff I like from Disney back then is live action. Swiss Family Robinson. The Happiest Millionaire.

(Edit: I should add that although my favorites (fandom) isn't early Disney, I am a fan of the concept of family-friendly, etc. And I am a fan of that stuff for my kids. So I admit it does play into my feeling of their betraying us.)

Edited by The Folk Prophet

8 minutes ago, The Folk Prophet said:

Swiss Family Robinson

One of my all time favorites, actually. I always stop by the treehouse when we go to the MK. 

I’m hit and miss when it comes to Disney movies. I prefer old school like Mary Poppins & Pinocchio, but like you mentioned I also enjoy Aladdin, Beauty and the Beast, etc. 

6 hours ago, NeuroTypical said:

Did anyone else pick up on how Luca is a nod to the transgender community?   They seemed to do it so well, pretty much the only folks who got it, was the transgender community.

I haven't seen it, so I can't say specifically...but...I do know that the lgbtq community co-opt everything as their own.

• 2 weeks later...

Disney recently changed their annual pass holder program and people are losing their minds. I’m seeing people say “This is it, I’m never going back!” all over the place in social media. It’s nonsense of course, they’ll be back once the dust settles. 

I bring it up because it once again shows that Disney can’t win. Any move they make, someone will complain. Too woke, not woke enough, too profit driven, the rides always break down....some people just genuinely like complaining, and Disney is their target.